Service messages refuse to reset.

capriman

Hi guys,

ive both the oil and insp messages on my dash (2003 SDI comfort estate) and they refuse to reset using the conventional methods.

The oil service appears to reset giving a line of dashes using the usual method but then the insp will not set and the oil one reappears. I’ve even used the VAG401 to reset it (it resets it thinking the car is a polo) and the dash clears the oil sign and the trip is displayed (at zero) instead but as soon as I turn off the ignition and turn it back on the oil and insp messages are back.

They also never stop displaying while driving which is not usual either.

any help?

You could try opening the cluster and removing and cleaning the edges of the elastomeric LCD zebra strips. These sometimes can give problems.

Or it might be some other cluster fault such as a problem with either of the two trip button switches...

tttr.png

Edited by TMB

1 hour ago, capriman said:

Thanks guys, I’ll pick up a cluster from the local scrappy.

Please be aware that you can't just swap in a used cluster as they contain the immobiliser circuitry. They have to be programmed to the car.

4 hours ago, TMB said:

Please be aware that you can't just swap in a used cluster as they contain the immobiliser circuitry. They have to be programmed to the car.

Are you sure as I’ve done this before with no issues. Well, I say no issues, I wasnt aware of any as the car still started and ran ok and everything appeared to work ok.

55 minutes ago, capriman said:

Are you sure as I’ve done this before with no issues. Well, I say no issues, I wasnt aware of any as the car still started and ran ok and everything appeared to work ok.

Hmmm, I don't understand that. The car shouldn't run. The immobiliser is definitely built into the cluster and coded to the car. Maybe the cluster you fitted had had an immobiliser delete or summat.

Edited by TMB

11 hours ago, TMB said:

Hmmm, I don't understand that. The car shouldn't run. The immobiliser is definitely built into the cluster and coded to the car. Maybe the cluster you fitted had had an immobiliser delete or summat.

We are just talking about the instruments behind the steering wheel yes? I recall the issue before was a failed speedo. I just got another set of clocks and changed them. Adjusted the odometer with VAG401 so they were correct and all was fine.

9 hours ago, capriman said:

We are just talking about the instruments behind the steering wheel yes? I recall the issue before was a failed speedo. I just got another set of clocks and changed them. Adjusted the odometer with VAG401 so they were correct and all was fine.

Yep, they have the immobiliser built into them. Can't explain how that set worked for you.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, an update on this issue and some more help required please…..

after the advice about the immobiliser I decided not to chance my luck putting in another cluster and having to pay to have it coded up as the issue was minor and an irritation rather than anything else. Anyway, as seems often the case with fabia electrics it just sorted itself out and went away!

Roll forward a few months to now and I have more issues that must surely be linked. 

a bit about the car and other issues first as they might just be linked so I’d rather give more information and it be superfluous than neglect to mention something that might help……

I bought the car and it stood unused for a year. On coming to use it the n/s windows wouldn’t work, an issue that just sorted itself out intermittently then permanently over time.

Also an alternator issue was sorted with a new alternator but to this day the exciter wire isn’t working so I just have to remember to give it a little Rev at the start of each journey to make sure the alternator is kicked into life.

The power steering light has periodically failed to extinguish on start up but turning off the ignition and restarting always sorted it. Recently I changed lots of suspension components and a wheel bearing resulting in one broken ABS sensor….. I’ve got a new one but so busy with work I’ve not had chance to fit it but since then the power steering light would only extinguish if I turned the ignition on then waited for all the warning lights to go out before starting the car. It’s now struggling to extinguish at all and my trip when the ignition is on shows 0000 with the first zero flashing and with the ignition off, the clock is whizzing along, counting up a minute every half a second or so.

Any clues? 

thanks in advance.