Octavia SE L 1.5 TSi DSG Estate just ordered

bmoster

Dear all

I have just ordered the above in silver with the following options:

Leather seats

Spare wheel       

By way of background it will be replacing my Volvo S90 saloon. I lease my car through my business. Got a great deal on my Volvo and will miss it but a replacement would be too expensive. The Octavia will be costing me about the same in monthly payments.

I am happy to get a Skoda as my wife currently has a Kodiaq and prior to that had a Superb estate. Both were/have been great cars.

I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer:

Can you put a data sim in the car to use the online services i.e. live traffic and software/system/map updates. If not then is the only way to get data access by pairing to your phone?

How frequent are software and map updates and can you do them yourself (as opposed to via the dealer)

Re live traffic – is this any good compared to Google Maps?

Can you send text messages via the native Skoda phone system (I have an iPhone)?

If you have an iPhone is it worth just letting the phone connect automatically to wireless CarPlay (I assume you can set it to connect automatically each time you get in the car) Does wireless CarPlay drain your phone’s battery quickly?

Can you go to the car, start it and then lock it (to go back in the house and let it heat up/defrost on cold winters day)

Many thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

As I saw no responses - I'll answer the one's I think I know!

There is a data SIM in the car - with a year's subscription - not sure if only with Columbus SatNav though.

Map updates are typically 3 to 12 months.

TMC Traffic from DAB is fairly good - but not as instant or with as great a coverage as Google Live Traffic.

I don't know about the texts but seriously doubt it.

Car Play - not iPhone user.

Good question - but you can definately pre condition the car with the app. 

I’ll add a few answers from what I’ve found and  my experience...

The car has an eSIM built in and you can buy a data contract once the 1st year bundled service expires. It’s through a company called Cubic, includes European roaming. Alternatively, I believe you can connect the car to a phone hotspot.

Not sure about frequency of map updates, I guess quarterly.

Live traffic - doesn’t seem as quick as Waze (Google maps)

Text messages - I’ve only done it through CarPlay

The iPhone should auto-reconnect to CarPlay. Mine does sometimes, seemingly only when I have been listening to Spotify instead of the radio. I haven’t had it long enough to prove that scenario or work out if its a bug! A couple of taps on the SmartLink function and it’s done.

iPhone battery drain is OK. Not dissimilar to Bluetooth link to my previous car. As an indication, about 4 hours driving listening to Spotify (streamed) used about 40-50% of my iPhone XR battery.

10 hours ago, Woodgnome60 said:

As I saw no responses - I'll answer the one's I think I know!

There is a data SIM in the car - with a year's subscription - not sure if only with Columbus SatNav though.

Map updates are typically 3 to 12 months.

TMC Traffic from DAB is fairly good - but not as instant or with as great a coverage as Google Live Traffic.

I don't know about the texts but seriously doubt it.

Car Play - not iPhone user.

Good question - but you can definately pre condition the car with the app. 

@Woodgnome60what country are you in? I was not aware that UK cars had auxiliary heaters to pre condition the cabins? Maybe I’m wrong🤷🏻‍♂️ 

5 minutes ago, Woodgnome60 said:

UK - the preconditioning is with the iV.

Ah right, yes the electric versions. 👍🏼 I was getting excited I might have it on my new car and not know about it. ✌🏼

Edited by Skodev