Fabia mk 2 1.6tdi Elegance Climatronic blower fan not working HELP PLEASE

The climatronic controls visually look normal but I cannot hear or feel the blower fan.

I understand that the change of fan requires the dash to be removed and that there is no resistor pack on climatronic.

My strategy was to try and access the wiring to the fan and verify 12v is present.

The fan is not seized and can be spun by hand via the pollen filter access. 

Can anyone suggest what tests I can do before committing to pulling the dashboard.

Would a diagnostics  reader establish anything ?

OK, well there's no resistor pack, but there's a solid-state module that does the same job, probably 50/50 whether it's that at fault or the fan itself. How many miles on the clock? 

Never seen one in the flesh, but I think it is also difficult to access, like the fan.

I'll have to defer to mk2 owners with similar age/equipment cars to yours at this point, or I'd be guessing about how to access stuff.

Edited by Wino

I had one replaced some years back and yes, it was a dash out job. I have heard of people suggesting you can semi remove stuff and struggle but a dealer/good independent would remove the whole lot quicker and perhaps have less chance of breaking anything else. It was around £400-£500, as I recall but that is based around London, where labour charges are most likely higher and done by a very well respected independent VAG repair place, using genuine parts.

Been working properly ever since so since the three days of summer will be here soon, it may well be worth getting done. Oh, BTW, the fan its-self was quite a pricey variant, in excess of two hundred quid, if memory serves.

• Like 1

Thank you very much. Is there any way of determining the  fan is the faulty component or the solid state controller or the climstronic dash panel. ?

On 19/03/2021 at 19:24, wrightpm said:

Thank you very much. Is there any way of determining the  fan is the faulty component or the solid state controller or the climstronic dash panel. ?

Any decent diagnostic software will be able to target the blower motor and activate it to see if it spins up. 

• Like 1

This mornings diagnostics....the machine had two faults "central wiring" and also "air-conditioning". The central wiring fault I think is drivers door central locking - it has been like that for a few months, The air conditioning fault when interrogated deeper said blower motor faulty.

I hope that this is not a red herring because it is a dashboard removal and I don't want to go for that till all avenues are exhausted.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. Thanks for contributions thus far.:)

On 23/03/2021 at 12:30, wrightpm said:

This mornings diagnostics....the machine had two faults "central wiring" and also "air-conditioning". The central wiring fault I think is drivers door central locking - it has been like that for a few months, The air conditioning fault when interrogated deeper said blower motor faulty.

I hope that this is not a red herring because it is a dashboard removal and I don't want to go for that till all avenues are exhausted.

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. Thanks for contributions thus far.:)

Where they able to target the blower motor and see if they could get it to spin up via the diagnostics? - But what they have already found doesn't look promising and you most likely will end up with dash out job needed.

Hi thanks for your continued interest.  No they were not able to spin up the blower. I was not super confident that they properly tried this once they had seen the blower fault.

If I take out the dash I will connect 12 v to fan to see if motor dead. Unfortunately I can't get at the connector.  Any suggestions welcome.

• 2 years later...
On 24/03/2021 at 19:10, wrightpm said:

Hi thanks for your continued interest.  No they were not able to spin up the blower. I was not super confident that they properly tried this once they had seen the blower fault.

If I take out the dash I will connect 12 v to fan to see if motor dead. Unfortunately I can't get at the connector.  Any suggestions welcome.

Looks like I have spent the morning on a wild goose chase! No fan on my Fabia 2010. Bought a resistor pack and followed the YouTube video to take out the airbag. Did that, no sign of a resistor pack. Then tried to remove the lower glovebox, got nowhere! Now, on swatting up here, looks like I have climatronic model! Bummer. going to have to go out and put it back together not working. Out of interest, did you get yours working? (and at a reasonable cost?) cheers

27 minutes ago, Wez5480 said:

Looks like I have spent the morning on a wild goose chase! No fan on my Fabia 2010. Bought a resistor pack and followed the YouTube video to take out the airbag. Did that, no sign of a resistor pack. Then tried to remove the lower glovebox, got nowhere! Now, on swatting up here, looks like I have climatronic model! Bummer. going to have to go out and put it back together not working. Out of interest, did you get yours working? (and at a reasonable cost?) cheers

There is a fan and there should also be a resistor pack. My 2009 with Climatronic has both. When the resistor pack goes the fan usually still works on full speed. Mine stopped working altogether and it turned out to be the fan motor itself. Car dealer fitted a new one under their warranty.

• Like 1

The two systems have different 'resistors'.

The Climatic (semi-automatic A/C) has this type of wound resistor (actually three in series with tapping off points and a thermal fuse)

635576761_Screenshot2023-11-0615_03_24.png.a655abe55992f142164dfcdff19fc278.png

Climatronic (fully automatic) A/C system has a transistorised version that looks very different: 

1340100091_Screenshot2023-11-0615_01_58.png.94ce633a4f8f4457460fe473f4de12d0.png

I think @Wez5480 is saying is that he went looking for the former, but didn't find it because he actually has the latter (6Q2 907 521A for RHD; 6Q1 907 521A for LHD), which isn't in the same place. Both of those part numbers have been superseded by a suffix B version. Genuine ones are rather pricey.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Breezy_Pete

Well summed up!

Yeah car has the Climatronic, so put it all back together for now and spare resistor back in the box.

We have owned the car for about 5 months, bought it like this with a known fault declared by the seller. They fitted a dash mounted 12v fan, powered from the cigarette lighter. Has worked ok so far to keep the screen clean but think it will struggle in winter and the cab will be cold!

May revisit it later, when I have done a bit more research on stripping the dash and availability of new/used parts?

cheers

The fan can be replaced without stripping the dash out, according to the guy that changed mine. It is a bit of a guddle, working from the footwell, but it is easier than tearing the dash to bits as per Haynes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It plugs into the fan so it should be easy to find, just follow the lead back, I did one on a SEAT recently, it was a doddle, in the passenger footwell under the glovebox, the motor itself is twist 'n' lock like a bayonet fitting.

I am a bit confused becasue the fan works most of the time but, for example  a week ago we went for a long trip and at night the fan stopped working, the next day the fan worked again, thats why I think that the controller should be changed.

Maybe the motor is at his last rounds 😞 I dont know. What was your experience ?