USB C Fast charging

Has anyone with the new USB C ports managed to get their phone fast charging?

We have two phones with this capability (working with charging blocks and cable cominations we have), but neither will fast charge in the Kodiaq.

Where can I get the technical details orf the power output of the USB ports of our vehicle?

I guess I'm asking if the USB C ports support Power Delivery for anyone?

The USB output will be no different than that from a computer or TV or train or aeroplane etc socket.

Not quiite sure how they could provide fast charging en-mass because you have to be careful - the fast charger supplied with your phone maybe model specific. You could damage your phone if you use the wrong power fast charge adapter.

Would have thought only way around this would be to have an AC power socket in your car which is available as an option on some European cars but not here in the UK.  You could buy a power invertor tho and use the 12v socket.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

The USB output will be no different than that from a computer or TV or train or aeroplane etc socket.

Not quiite sure how they could provide fast charging en-mass because you have to be careful - the fast charger supplied with your phone maybe model specific. You could damage your phone if you use the wrong power fast charge adapter.

Would have thought only way around this would be to have an AC power socket in your car which is available as an option on some European cars but not here in the UK.  You could buy a power invertor tho and use the 12v socket.

I asked the question since I installed a wireless charger in my old (2004) Volvo, functioning directly from a standard USB A socket, provided by a device which plugs directly into the 12V socket.  I'm sure you've all seen one of these before.

It worked a charm (nearly 2 years), providing sufficient power to Fast Charge mine and my wife's phones.

It was also beneficial in that if you had the screen on, with Google Maps for navigation and Bluetooth to send audio to the head unit, normal charging speeds were unable to maintain good charge on a long journey.  Fast charging retained the battery at 100%.  All hands-free, of course.

None of the Kodiaq 12V sockets provide this result when I plug in the same equipment.  Simple, plain, normal speed charging.

My original question was very deliberate, since the standard of USB C was intended to provide increased support for Fast Charging and Power Delivery (as well as increased data transfer bandwidth).  The Kodiaq doesn't have this either.  Simple, plain, normal speed charging.

6 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

The ports don’t support fast charging. Just because they have Type C connections, that doesn’t mean they support PD. 

Spot on. This is exactly what I'm trying to confirm. 

I'm surprised at this since, as I mentioned in my OP, my ancient Volvo did and I wonder why Skoda chose not to in the Kodiaq. 

1 hour ago, tuttiweb1 said:

Spot on. This is exactly what I'm trying to confirm. 

I'm surprised at this since, as I mentioned in my OP, my ancient Volvo did and I wonder why Skoda chose not to in the Kodiaq. 

I think the difference is that the Volvo was just providing 12V, with a limit of perhaps 10 to 15 amps, controlled only by a fuse.  In the Škoda, there will be some level of electronic control over what the USB-C socket delivers?

22 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

I think the difference is that the Volvo was just providing 12V, with a limit of perhaps 10 to 15 amps, controlled only by a fuse.  In the Škoda, there will be some level of electronic control over what the USB-C socket delivers?

I'm happy to bow down to your superior knowledge with this. 

I can't help but feel Skoda could have at least provided fast charging on the wireless charging pad if it wasn't possible to get it via 12V or USB C sockets. 

I’m getting a bit lost.  You say you plugged a “device” into the 12V socket of the Volvo, and it gave fast charging ... so what happens when you plug that device into a 12V socket on the Kodiaq?

Edited by DaveMiller

Charge-only USB ports in most (?) cars are capable of delivering 2 to 2.5 Amps at 5 Volts, but data+charge USB ports are typically limited to about 1 A. 12V to 5V plug-in chargers may support a higher power output and indeed may be capable of the 'fast charge' standard that some phones support. The 12V socket in the Kodiaq will only be limited by (a) the fuse and (b) the adapter that's plugged in (normally it's the latter that's the limiting factor).

Big warning: not all of these plug-in 12V to 5V adapters are born equal. Especially the cheap ones, they can chuck out a **lot** of RF interference and interfere with your DAB reception, which you'll notice in areas of low DAB signal strength. The Kodiaq, to its credit, seems to have good DAB reception (better than my previous Golf) and also does a good job of swapping seamlessly into FM when the DAB signal fails.

57 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

I’m getting a bit lost.  You say you plugged a “device” into the 12V socket of the Volvo, and it gave fast charging ... so what happens when you plug that device into a 12V socket on the Kodiaq?

Identical equipment setup on Kodiaq = no fast charging (USB A port).

Identical equipment setup on Kodiaq, but swapping to known-good PD (Fast Charging) USB C cable  instead of USB A = no fast charging.