Android auto and Samsung phones problems!

Hello everyone.

I'm having issues with android auto on my superb mk3 2017 with a new Samsung S21 ultra phone.

After connecting the cable, AA launches fine, but I keep having disconnections from time to time, making it unusable. 

Reading baiut this issue, I tried many types of cables, even official Samsung and high quality 3rd party ones.
I tried choosing MIDI connection as the default USB connection mode as suggested from other users, but nothing.

Sometimes after the issues arises my phone prompts me with a message to allow access to phone setting once again, as it seems it's not able to save this setting. I attached a picture of the message and of my infotainment system (Columbus?) 

Has anyone experienced this? Any help? Maybe there's a need for a software update from Skoda to support the newer phones?

Thanks for any tips! 

images.jpeg

Screenshot_20210320-172502_MTP application.jpg

Yep, I get regular disconnections, I wonder if the previous owner wasn't gentle with the usb socket, and maybe that needs replacing. I use high end cables, huawei mate 20 pro. mirrorlink doesn't work at all for god knows what reason

14 hours ago, AlVal said:

Yep, I get regular disconnections, I wonder if the previous owner wasn't gentle with the usb socket, and maybe that needs replacing. I use high end cables, huawei mate 20 pro. mirrorlink doesn't work at all for god knows what reason

I don't think Huawei Mate 20 supports MirrorLink, my P20 Pro doesn't either, seems to be a dying protocol really, everybody just focuses on AA instead of paying MirrorLink rights.

On the OP's subject though, I only very rarely get a disconnection with my Huawei P20 Pro and the original cable (bought a second one and left it in the car) and only if I fettle with using the phone while in AA by exiting the app back and forth. 99% of the time the operation is flawless.

When that happens though it might even need a phone restart to go back to normal.

I've had the odd drop out with my s10 (android 11),but generally OK. 

There are quite a few reports of people having issues generally (not just skoda). The usual suggestions are the obvious ones of clearing cache, reinstall AA etc. 

Sorry, not much help, I know. 

Recently I had this issue where nothing shows in screen. Prior to that it was randomly disconnecting. 

I used an older AA version (delete, reinstall on phone), bought a new cable, reset the phone connection section in the car. Then it works. I have no idea which fixed it (too many combos to bother) so there is that. 

I've been trying to find a fix in the last few days, and maybe I found the solution - it's the USB socket, so using the rear USB port solves the issue!!

Here's what I tried so far:

- resetting, deleting, reinstalling and clearing cache of AA on the phone

- using all kinds of cables., short, long, official Samsung and other high quality cables

- disabling battery optimization for AA

- Restarting the infotainment system a few times

none of this worked, I kept having random disconnections. 

Then a member on a Skoda facebook group suggested that the problem is with the USB socket near the ashtray. He suggested to use the rear USB port, and guess what, so far so good! I've been using it since yesterday and it has been working just fine

I don't know if it's a faulty USB port or the voltage isn't adequate for the new Samsung phones, as it worked perfectly fine with my old LG phone. 

I'll update the post if needed

22 minutes ago, -KamaL- said:

I've been trying to find a fix in the last few days, and maybe I found the solution - it's the USB socket, so using the rear USB port solves the issue!!

Here's what I tried so far:

- resetting, deleting, reinstalling and clearing cache of AA on the phone

- using all kinds of cables., short, long, official Samsung and other high quality cables

- disabling battery optimization for AA

- Restarting the infotainment system a few times

none of this worked, I kept having random disconnections. 

Then a member on a Skoda facebook group suggested that the problem is with the USB socket near the ashtray. He suggested to use the rear USB port, and guess what, so far so good! I've been using it since yesterday and it has been working just fine

I don't know if it's a faulty USB port or the voltage isn't adequate for the new Samsung phones, as it worked perfectly fine with my old LG phone. 

I'll update the post if needed

If works fine in a different socket, then previous owner probably damaged the socket with some badly fitting cheap cables that were plugged in carelessly 

If you are happy to leave cable plugged in another socket that wasn’t being used then just carry on.   If not then going to have to get a replacement USB socket fitted

44 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

If works fine in a different socket, then previous owner probably damaged the socket with some badly fitting cheap cables that were plugged in carelessly 

If you are happy to leave cable plugged in another socket that wasn’t being used then just carry on.   If not then going to have to get a replacement USB socket fitted

It's actually more comfortable this way, no cables in the ashtray and looks cleaner overall.

Do you know where I can find a replacement USB socket?

Thanks

Now that you mention it, I too have mine always connected to the USB in the handrest storage as it's just more neat and convenient (modern phones are too large for the ashtray pocket) although I don't recall issues with the front USB the few times I had to use that.

9 minutes ago, Shaady said:

Trying a different socket is such a good shout, would have had no idea that the other USB ports would be connected to the headunit, would have assumed they were just for power 

I also would have never thought about this

23 hours ago, -KamaL- said:

It's below the rear air condition vents, next to a normal electric socket. 

Although to save anyone in the UK going out in the cold looking for it we don't get that electric socket (a two-pin Europlug) and USB port - instead we just get a regular 12V car socket!

On 24/03/2021 at 22:15, EC73LDN said:

Although to save anyone in the UK going out in the cold looking for it we don't get that electric socket (a two-pin Europlug) and USB port - instead we just get a regular 12V car socket!

Wow, That's a shame.

UPDATE: No more disconnections for me using the USB port in the back. Finally I can use my new phone on my Superb!!

I'll look for a replacement USB port from the one in the front near the ashtray