Pros and cons of variable boot floor

Hello,

I  have been    thinking about buying the variable boot floor for my  Fabia 3 estate sel 110.  It would give me two separate boot areas and it would be definitely  helpful if I put the seats down to put long loads in as the step between boot and front and front seats would disappear and  I would have a flat floor.  I do buy antiques but not normally tables or settees etc, something long, its usually smaller items but I never know what I might see on my travels of course.  The problem is that I would have to be very careful what I put on the top floor owing to weight restrictions, 75 kg is in the handbook as the maximum.

i really do not want to have to think how much an item or items weigh every time  I use the top floor.  I wouldnt think anyone would want that.  It occurred to me that the 75 kg might be Skoda being ultra cautious and the floor could cope with heavier loads.  If it could I would definitely think about buying one as it would give more versatility but if it is a  rigid, not to be exceeded figure at any cost,  I  probably wouldnt.

Could any Briskodians who have this feature on their   Skoda 3 estates post  to share their experiences with it please?    Many thanks.

Not a Fabia and not an estate, but, my wife's 2015 Polo with that feature standard and it tends to be left in place, possibly due the the lower area being filled with "essential stuff".

Once I took the rigid top floor out as we were collecting a daughter and her boyfriend at the train station and gained a bit of space/height for all their many cases and bags.

Weight limit, I've never ever considered this to be an issue and I've carried 5 25kg bags of salt in the boot, also a similar load of cement - having that upper floor in place does make it a lot easier to lift heavy bags out of the boot.

I think if I was going to use that car to carry a high volume and weight once in a while, I would make the effort to empty out the boot including removing that top shelf.

Edit:- changed 5kg to 25kg, an error on my part!!!

Edited by rum4mo

Skoda are being very cautious, if you are putting in furniture weight would probably be fairly well spread, and near the side rails which are solidly supported.

However I wouldn’t recommend a smallish heavy solid object (like a solid stone garden ornament) being dropped onto middle of deck.

If you want the usefulness of being able to slide things in, and you are worried, could always go to local diy store and buy a lump of underfloor expanded polystyrene to support it. Easy to remove if you want to use the space.  The lower floor has a bit of polystyrene over spare wheel so same principle 

Edited by SurreyJohn

You can safely carry an awfull lot more than what they quote, it helps if you have completley filled the area underneath with essential junk :D

Otherwise if you have something really heavy to carry just put a spacer block in the centre of the void underneath.

My mistake, I should have written that it was 5 X 25kg bags of salt I had carried not 5 2kg bags of salt!! (I've corrected that in my original posting)