Funny door action

XVolvo

Discovered that the front passenger door does not open from the key fob and needs to be opened from inside ... all other 3 doors open OK ... it then releases with the interior manual handle, so it looks like an electrical problem. not mechanical. Can't be the relevant fuse as there are other functions, which all work, on the same fuse

Yes I've gone through all the screens, tried other door options and reset, all without success.

Any ideas ?

XVolvo.

Spooky, got my car booked in for the same fault ,mine sometimes doesn’t lock as well and I can hear the lock clicking as I drive along or trying to lock 

5 hours ago, patrolman said:

Spooky, got my car booked in for the same fault ,mine sometimes doesn’t lock as well and I can hear the lock clicking as I drive along or trying to lock 

Probably a problem from the door micro-switch, happened before

Mine (18 plate SEL DSG) has started doing the same just today with the drivers door.  This morning all other doors unlocked fine however had to open drivers door by reaching over from the passenger side and using the internal handle.  Now the drivers door won't lock, however all other doors lock/unlock fine.  The red LED on the drivers door flashed as I lock from the keyfob, then stays on for about 30 seconds before then flashing normally.  I don't think it is fuses as all other doors lock/unlock as normal, either on the keyfob or KESSY on the passengers door and both mirrors fold in / fold out as per normal.  In addition the manual (Pg62) says its' a fault with the central locking system so it looks like it might be a phone call to my local dealer on Tuesday to get it booked in to be looked at ... hmm!

Thanks for those comments, gents .... delighted to hear that I’m not going up the twist ! .... but sorry to hear that the problem might be quite serious if it’s one of those electro ones ... always seem expensive and not always resolved. 

Perhaps we should keep in touch and updated so we’re not having our respective legs pulled.

Regards ... XVolvo

5 hours ago, irfant said:

Probably a problem from the door micro-switch, happened before

I’m expecting a new latch assembly, we will see what the dealer says on Wednesday 

Bit of an update:

On Tuesday called up my local dealer, described the issue, they stated that because the car was out of warranty there was an investigation fee, plus whatever it would cost to fix the issue, reluctantly I agreed and the car was booked in for Thursday (today)

Dropped off the car this morning to be looked at and a couple of hours later I got the call .... defective door locking mechanism that would need to be replace.

Before I could open my mouth and ask how much the dealer offered to waive the investigation fee and offered to majority pay for the locking mechanism meaning that my total bill would only be 25% of the cost of parts + labour.

I agreed and the work was completed  same day as the part was already in stock and I got my car back late afternoon.

So I was pleased as I was expecting a many hundred repair bill.

The warranty ran out at the end of last month and legally the dealer/Skoda UK does not have to offer to part pay for any repairs, however if they insist on you paying full price it is worth asking about contributions and goodwill gestures, particularly if you are a regular customer / bought the car from them,, etc.  If they refuse, start talking about the sale of goods act and how items must be fit for purpose and last for reasonable period of time depending on their price.

Hope this helps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have mine booked in tomorrow and 2ltr 4x4 DSG 2018 and the warranty ran out on March 15th, it sounds as if there is an issue. I will let you know how I get on. I already asked about the warranty and that the car has only done approx 26000 miles, so as far as I am concerned this is not fit for purpose. Thanks Klamath for steering me to this message board. 

UPDATE:-

The car has been at Marshall Skoda Northampton and they have said the door lock is faulty. They have spoken with Skoda and they have said they will pay 70% as a goodwill gesture and it will cost us about £69. But the interesting thing is they said that Skoda do not have any locks in their warehouse, and I will have to wait for stock to arrive and they don't know when that will be. Luckily I can use my daughters cars as my insurance would be invalid if the car was stolen whilst I was out, with it not being secured properly.

Would Skoda pay for a new vehicle? As there is obviously an issue with the locks!

Looks like I really opened a can of worms when I made the posting on Sunday last.... so perhaps an update from me will confirm the actions and results of my activity this week.

I immediately managed to receive the assistance of the major car dealer ( Not Skoda ! ) from who I bought the car, only the week before, having arrangements made to return my car this ( Friday ) morning for attention .... if it could be repaired, then it would be there and then, or if parts were required, they would be ordered for subsequent fitting a.s.a.p.  All was ready when I arrived, the car was quickly inspected by the Service Manager whose conclusion was that the door lock was to be replaced. When he returned from investigation, he stated that Door Locks from Skoda were on back supply (( !!! )) and it would be 7 - 10 days before the work could be scheduled. Not a problem for me as I am only too pleased to have this work carried out F O C. and by a competent person

Judging by this and other similar results evidenced above, it looks like we struck a Skoda nerve, perhaps giving power to the elbow of other Skoda Karoq drivers who might be / have been, a casualty ... my astonishment still raises its head when dealers, as described above, have the effrontery to charge an investigation fee !!!!!! .... come on ... they must know !!!

All the facts here hang together, especially the lack of parts and offers of goodwill ... it's time Skoda did an FOC recall.

Good luck to all who are trying and thanks to those who unknowingly gave support.

Regards ...  XVolvo

• Like 1

This has the sound and feel of the EGR issue a few years ago. 
Skoda and the rest of VAG were inundated with complaints about failing valves.

I had sold my 3 year old 12 plate Yeti to a friend. Within months it had gone into limp mode, requiring a replacement valve.

Which required a major dismantling of the engine to replace. 

Skoda UK picked up the bill, as a ‘goodwill’ gesture.

Shortly after my daughter purchased a 3 year old Tiguan from a VW dealer.

Over the next 5 months she had no less that 3 EGR’s replaced, eventually rejecting the car, which was replaced with a new petrol Tiguan on the same finance deal as her 3 year old one.

It would seem that door locks on 3 year old cars are becoming another Achilles heel.

I’m guessing the locks are common across VAG, so there must be similar issues, which may account for the lack of replacements.

How strange, I have also had similar issues with 2018 SEL DSG. 

The car was serviced and passed MOT by Mitchell Skoda Chester in February 2021. It was out of warranty in March 2021. The following issues occurred; 

Airbag Warning Light

Central Locking Issues 

- same as author - was having issues getting into drivers door and had to open from inside. 

Took vehicle in and was advised that a part is required for airbag. In addition, a new steering wheel needs replacing as the horn and controls were not working. Also found issues with drivers side lock which needed replacing. In addition, they stated that the stop/start ignition button needed replacing! 

I was initially quoted £800 to replace parts in which x2 parts needed to be ordered outside of the UK, however, they stated as ‘gesture of goodwill’ this will be offered for £250! 

They have stated that they need to keep hold of the vehicle as cannot be returned until the above has been repaired, and are offering loan vehicle. 

Very disappointed that these issues have occurred with a vehicle only 3-years old and I was expecting better reliability from Skoda. I am unsure what the total costs will be including labour but will update this forum. Looks like there is a trend with 2018 DSG Karoqs! 

• Like 1

It just gets worse, doesn't it ????? ... more and more people discover inherent faults that require money spending on them .. the problem is ... who foots the bill ???

Reliability issues, cynical Dealer responses, bad support and spares problems...... I wonder ... should I have bought the car 2 weeks ago ?

Regards, XVolvo

( hopefully not to become XSkoda shortly !!!!)

• Like 2

I have also had issues with the steering wheel, I would be driving along and the instrument panel would just randomly start changing from the speed to anything it chose. They did replace this TWICE under warranty and said it was the rocker switches on the steering wheel. I have also had to have all the 'chrome' (plastic coated) trims replaced due to them all going milky colour and stained, at first they refused saying it was TRF (traffic film remover) that the hand-wash firms use and that was after about 15 months. I had only had the car washed at one of these twice. They finally relented after I did my home work and told them that Skoda Europe had recalled various models in Europe for this reason and I also got Money supermarket's Resolver team involved. Let's hope that realise we are all aware of the issues and they do a recall and then give back what we have had to spend as part of the 'Goodwill Gesture'. I for one will be watching this space. 

• Like 1

Being new to the Board, I don't know if there is / are moderator(s) for the Board and if so perhaps they might like to comment / advise / be involved,  as to a possible approach to Skoda UK to voice both their / our potential and actual problems, being reported on a range of common issues, as being experienced by their Board's users and their (Skoda ) clients..... , not doing anything, isn't good.

Such avenues might be Trading Standards, Motor Manufacturers Organisations ... sneaking onto VW and Seat Boards, if they exist !! ... to see if similar problems exist. Remember, we've seen some pretty outrageous actions by the VW group in recent months.

In only just 7 days, some 7 or 8 people have reported these mechanical / electrical problems, not to mention probably more who are just innocent bystanders and watching and wondering ..... action now in the right quarters...i.e. if people feel that strongly, will be better than individually trying to get Skoda to face their responsibilities to their clients, all scattered about the UK.

I look forward to any comments.

Regards .. XVolvo.

• Like 1

Just to end (?) this item ... new passenger side door lock fitted today F.O.C. by dealer from where my car was bought ... took the chance of "grilling" the fitter ... apparently this is a common problem on newer cars .. not just Skoda ... new lock is always fitted by them as it takes too long, and is thus too expensive, to repair ... he fits numerous replacements per week !!!

Everything crossed now that it's OK

XVolvo.