Fabia front door speaker replacement/repair question.

I have a bog standard Mk 1 Fabia 1.4 TDI from 2003. The foam surrounds of the woofers in the doors have rotted and they consequently distort - I guess it's because the voice coil is rubbing on the magnet.

Does anyone know if a Mk 2 Fabia speaker will fit? I don't want to buy a used Mk 1 Fabia speaker from a scrapyard because I expect that being the same age, it's likely to have the same problem. Other options would be to re-foam or buy a new equivalent (which I expect would be too expensive to justify it).

Any make of speaker will fit as long as it is the same total diameter (no Lugs),The same impedance (4 ohm), and the total depth is no more than about 45mm. Any deeper it will foul the winder mechanism,and the door card will not fit flush to the door surround.  No speakers are reconed nowadays except high end ones like those fitted in a Vox 30 Guitar amplifier,because no originals exist.

Not reconed, that would be madness. Refoamed. It's pretty easy and much cheaper than replacing the drivers in medium to high end hifi speakers. A lot of 70s and 80s woofers used foam that was prone to perishing and many of the drivers aren't available nowadays, but replacement foams are. 

The speakers in the Fabia are built in to spacers with the proprietary sockets to connect the cables also built in, so it's not totally straightforward to replace them with drivers of the same diameter - I'd have to buy spacers to keep them off the rails that the windows move up and down on. If it was that simple, I'd have replaced them already with some spare drivers that I have. But I have a local scrapyard where I could get some from a Mk 2 Fabia, if I just know that they're compatible.

Brilliant, thanks, that's just the sort of thing I was after. I shall check whether my local scrapyards have any Fabia / Octavia 2s in, then.

• Like 1

I visited the scrapyard this week and removed these from a beetle. On the left is the original from my Fabia with the torn foam, in the middle is one from the front of the beetle (one of these had already been taken so I couldn't get a matching pair) and on the right is the one from the rear of the beetle - I got a pair of these, one of which I've successfully fitted after removing the extra outer rubber seal bit (it's just glued on and peels off easily).

Had to drill out rivets and replace with bolts, and ended up drilling new holes in the door card for the bolts next to the old ones as the rivet holes were too big for any bolts I had, so the speaker is rotated slightly relative to its original position.

It appears to work fine :)

IMG_20210410_164056.jpg

IMG_20210410_164028.jpg

Edited by dylofpoke
  • Like 1

For the record, the Beetle front speaker that seems to be the closest equivalent has the number 1C0 035 411 P printed on it, and the rear speaker (which I've fitted and tested) is a 1C0 035 411 M.

Both have the same bolt holes, physical dimensions and electrical connector and all are 4 Ohm.

Edited by dylofpoke

I don't know why I bothered answering your post! Your reply to me was  rude.

A simple question like 'Do Fabia front speakers Mk 1 fit a Fabia Mk 2?'  would have been sufficient.

You did'nt need to  include  how much you know (or don't know) about speaker construction which nobody want's to know on this site!.

I answer few posts on this site because of this.

1 hour ago, AndyPandy said:

I don't know why I bothered answering your post! Your reply to me was  rude.

A simple question like 'Do Fabia front speakers Mk 1 fit a Fabia Mk 2?'  would have been sufficient.

You did'nt need to  include  how much you know (or don't know) about speaker construction which nobody want's to know on this site!.

Come on, you're over reacting dramatically, he wasn't rude to you at all.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2021 at 15:40, AndyPandy said:

No speakers are reconed nowadays except high end ones like those fitted in a Vox 30 Guitar amplifier,because no originals exist.

1 hour ago, AndyPandy said:

Maybe heed your own advice then.

And for your other problem, try camomile tea, it always lifts me when I'm having a wee temper tantrum.

Edited by Tolpol62
  • Haha 1

I included what I did because it seemed relevant, because with your Vox amplifier reference, I thought you might be interested in speakers and the like (obviously I am) and because people generally seem to find conversation to be a pleasant experience (obviously I do).

I made the question a bit broader than "would one of these fit?" because someone might have had a better solution.

Then I included the solution I found along with part numbers in case it was useful to someone else.

Please forgive me for failing to anticipate the offense all of this has obviously caused.

• 2 years later...

I've just come across this post - as I have a knackered 6Y0 035 411 C speaker in front of me, and the various alternative part numbers are invaluable - thanks!

Also, by my (admittedly sloppy) measuring, the depth from the back of the magnet to the front of the casing is 57mm,