PID or Phone Mount?

paul87

Hi,

I'm picking up my first Skoda Citigo this week (2014) and was originally looking at getting a phone mount to replace the PID holder (I know I'll need a separate bracket) but today have had a look at secondhand PIDs on eBay. What are people's opinions on the two options? I can see positives and negatives to both.

Thanks,

Welcome to Briskoda

First thing to note is that the phone mount doesn't fit the same as the PID mount even though the dash hole is the same outline.

Our car has the PID. We'd prefer the phone holder, but it's not a simple swap. So we haven't.

We have 2 Citigo's, a 2012 and a 2016. One has a PID and one uses a phone and the app. The PID is head and shoulders better. As it is the Move & Fun app is problematical and since an update last November stopped working and wouldn't reinstall either. Many emails were exchanged with Skoda who were next to useless and it was never sorted which is odd as the VW and SEAT version does work. I would much rather have had the PID in both cars but I guess Skoda saved money by ditching it in favour of using your own phone.

Phone app is terrible I've hardly ever used it and the cradle your phone sits in blocks most of the airflow from the central vents. The app didn't even work properly until they were forced to make an effort when the electric Citigo came out two years later.

I wasn't planning on using the app, just using Waze. I like the idea of the PID being linked in with the car systems but I don't want to have to pay for online services if I can get them free on my phone. I'll probably just use the phone mount tbh but thought I'd ask for opinions.

Thank you though

10 minutes ago, paul87 said:

I wasn't planning on using the app, just using Waze. I like the idea of the PID being linked in with the car systems but I don't want to have to pay for online services if I can get them free on my phone. I'll probably just use the phone mount tbh but thought I'd ask for opinions.

Thank you though

Never had to pay and I don't think there is any way you can for using either the PID or App services.

53 minutes ago, paul87 said:

Thank you though

Whilst the mount won't fit, this might be of use

13 hours ago, thebrighton said:

Never had to pay and I don't think there is any way you can for using either the PID or App services.

Oh. The instructions imply that to access the Live services after a free trial you need to pay for a subscription?

12 hours ago, Gyp said:

Whilst the mount won't fit, this might be of use

Thank you