Sorely tempted to convert my vRS into a race car

I've been racing my Mini for the last few years but for some reason I have an urge to strip it for parts and  convert the Octavia into a race car instead.

Doesn't look like there is a cage available though and pending the cost of a custom job it may not be viable.

Anyone know of one?

This is the current race car

JonElsey2019Birkett6HourPt1-158.jpg

Edited by vRSy

I don't, but here are some opinions:

i) I don't think this is rational. If I had a race car that looked that good, I wouldn't be considering stripping it. Selling it on maybe, making it go faster, whatever that takes, but not strip it. Maybe that's the way the numbers work out, though.

ii) I think, at this level, most roll cages are custom made, so I think the more critical question is 'do I know a good manufacturer of custom roll cages?' (I don't).

31 minutes ago, Camlobe said:

I don't, but here are some opinions:

i) I don't think this is rational. If I had a race car that looked that good, I wouldn't be considering stripping it. Selling it on maybe, making it go faster, whatever that takes, but not strip it. Maybe that's the way the numbers work out, though.

ii) I think, at this level, most roll cages are custom made, so I think the more critical question is 'do I know a good manufacturer of custom roll cages?' (I don't).

The problem is the Mini is really highly strung (252hp) and one mis-shift and its 2 grand to replace the head.  I could replace the engine on a vRS for 500 lol and it will run 360hp with minimal work, cost and wear. 

I'm currently sat in the middle of  power class at 225hp/ton where the limit is 240hp/ton.  I can't get to that value without a turbo conversion, at which point t I'm in the next class and having to put ballast in the car.  

The Mini is quality though, it's just worth more in parts, hence the strip.

Roll cages are rarely custom at this level unless the car hasn't got one available on the market, which in this case is where we're at.  The cages are ultimately all built to the same design methodology as per Motorsports UK regulations.

The Mk5 Golf for instance, there are about 10 cage manufacturers, each with multiple cage variants available, sat in the shelf ready to go.

By way of update, I now know JP Cages can provide a 6 point cage for £1950 which includes VAT, design as its their first one, and installation. Should anyone buy a cage from them on the future,  they can thank me as it will be cheaper since its then a designed and approved cage lol.

My initial thoughts are to aim for Class A which is 240-300hp/ton.  Realistically, i expect I could get the car to 1250-1400kg with me in it and with a TSI K04 Turbo conversion, I'll be in the region of 360hp which gives around 290hp/ton.

Edited by vRSy