Kodiaq brakes done at 18k????

Hi,

Just wondered if any of you have experienced this. I've been getting really bad grinding noises from the brakes. 

No sensors telling me that the brakes were needing done but when I check the rear discs, they are in pretty bad shape. Pads seem like they have a bit left on them. 

I've only done 18000 miles so can't believe that they need replaced already. 

Is this some kind of defect? Would it be covered under warranty or would skoda just automatically say it's wear and tear?

How old is the car and what do you mean by ‘in pretty bad shape’?  Worn very thin? Very grooved? Warped?  Very rusty?

If rusty, that might cause noise, and it can happen through low use - rain falls on the warm discs and forms rust.  A busy car wipes off the rust when it’s just a surface coating, but if it’s left unused, the rust gets chance to eat deeper.

My Kodiaq certainly gets brown staining on the discs after overnight rain, and I hear the rust being ground off with the first (but only the first) application of brakes.  It suggests something about the metal used (I get zero staining and zero noise on the discs of my 26-yr-old Benz, which through lockdown has been doing less than 1,000 miles a year …) but I don’t think it's a warranty issue.  Your case might be different?

Edited by DaveMiller

Lots to consider.

Only done 18,000 miles but how many months old is the car?

?

How often does it get used and how far do you drive and do you use the brakes much or do you maybe use the gears to slow more than the brakes.

Do you live and park at the sea side or are you where there was lots of gritting / salting of the roads.

When there is an e-Brake there is not the same way available of applying the parking brake a bit to clean off cosmetic rust at the start of trips.

• Like 1

Mileage is a very poor guide to brake usage

Someone might do 100 miles on motorway, and use brakes 1-3 times

Someone else might drive 5 miles across London and use brakes 50-100 times

A third person might live in a very hilly area, so using brakes a lot

The speeds will be lower on second example so less wear per application, but could wear pads in tenth of mileage.   I realise these are extreme examples but hopefully demonstrates that mileage is not main factor.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had first MOT on my Kodiaq and rear disc pitting was recorded as an advisory. I was surprised and have had a closer look since. As you can see on the photos, there are large area of the disc outers where the pads are not shifting the rust and pitting has built up. Nearside was worse than o/s. I cant photo the inner faces but they wearing as normal. I guess I'm too light on the brakes - not to mention the limited mileage and short journeys during COVID lockdown. Car has done 25500 miles - 5500 in last year. Its due for a service now so I'm looking forward to an argument with the de aler who will no doubt want to change them!

IMG_8038.jpg

IMG_8034.jpg

Skoda OE rear brakes are made out of cheese.

If you decide to change them, use good quality discs and pads, Brembo maybe, or ATE. You might want to consider fitting  ceramic brake pads, low dust, low disc wear and keeps discs and wheels shiny. (due to a fine carbide layer that is formed)

Unlikely a Skoda dealer will want to fit anything other than their own supplied Skoda brie, so then you'll have to seek an alternative independent garage. 

20 months and 15k miles on my wife's Karoq and we've got a judder under braking.  As I suspected, the local, friendly, helpful Škoda dealership says "Ne".  

It's a 190 TDI and we didn't buy it not to use its performance; so the brakes get a hammering.  I wonder if  the problem is greater on DSG cars because drivers, including me, come to a stop and sit with their foot on the brake pedal. 

If the discs are very very hot then it makes no difference if you have your foot on the pedal or 'Autohold' is holding the car.

They are supposed to be the parts that the car requires to be used as a car in very many areas around the world and in many where the weather / humidity is greater and roads that can be driven faster &  downhills longer than any that the UK has. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For info, our 190 TDi Kodiaq has just had its front brake pads changed for the 1st time at 65k miles and 3 years. 

I try to avoid leaving it parked up with the auto parking brake engaged - if it’s on the level then “Park” is sufficient - leaving it sat for a week or more with the parking brake engaged definitely causes issues with the brake pads sticking to the disks and giving you the drumming sensation under heavy or sustained braking.  

There’s one or two older threads on this matter.

My previous Kodiaq had the rear discs and pads replaced TWICE under warranty. In 3 years.

My current Bear, with a mere 6,300 miles on it in 15 months is showing similar signs again.

(along with a rusty wiper drive spindle)

It’s such a PITA talking to dealers now, far less visiting them, but I will have to.

531C9308-CE77-4AF4-B095-B8898EB26EEB.jpeg

8216508D-58EB-45E0-9DF0-B8351C04EC65.jpeg