Leaking water pump at 48,000 kms (~30,000 miles)

Smellysocks

In addition to the oil separator issue (previous post) at the same service I was informed the water pump was leaking and needed replacing.  It has always been serviced on time and by an authorised SKODA agent.  ODO at 48,000 kms (~30,000 miles). 

When I questioned this re low kms the response was along the lines of number of heat/cool cycles and plastic parts not lasting as long.  Poor design and not fit for purpose come to mind.

I would appreciate any input/advice re this matter.

I have a 2015 2.0 Tdi which had covered approx 75,000 km when the water pump failed (about two months ago). There is now quite a thread on the Yeti Owners Club forum. See: "Significant Coolant Loss - There's a hole in my bucket?" ( https://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/threads/significant-coolant-loss-theres-a-hole-in-my-bucket.12096/ ) Suggest you start at about post # 8. Hopefully you'll find some useful info on that thread.

• Like 1

@Smellysocks - Well, the trip computer on some models records trip average speed, but that resets every time you switch the engine off for two hours, and doesn't record time spent in stationary traffic. It also records run hours, but re-zeros itself every 99:59, or earlier if you use the reset button, so I'd doubt it.

Disputes Tribunal hearing set down for end of this month. SNZ are yet to file any pre-hearing documentation in response but to be fair they will probably only recently have been served the court papers.

Just read the class action against VW - interesting and I note the extended warranty is for 10 yrs or 100,000 miles.  I see the dealership on this week to progress my waterpump issue.  Best wishes for your hearing and I watch with interest, from across the ditch.

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

I'd be more interested in run hours than mileage, particularly if the leak is around the pump shaft.

Hi Ken, with the help of the back of an envelope, we guesstimate between 800-900 hrs running.

7 minutes ago, Smellysocks said:

Hi Ken, with the help of the back of an envelope, we guesstimate between 800-900 hrs running.

Well, it's not unknown to get water pump shaft leaks on those sorts of hours. If the cambelt (not chain) has to come off to change the pump, it would be worth replacing the belt kit at the same time, because the extra cost is mostly parts, and less than the labour.

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

Well, it's not unknown to get water pump shaft leaks on those sorts of hours. If the cambelt (not chain) has to come off to change the pump, it would be worth replacing the belt kit at the same time, because the extra cost is mostly parts, and less than the labour.

1.2 cambelt does not drive the water pump.

Urrell: Presumably its a separate belt then. In my thread on the other forum I referenced an article about modern water pump bearings in some cases not being up to the job because the design doesn't allow for the additional load presented by a cam belt (my situation). Which seems logical - but poor design. In Smellysocks case this theory wouldn't therefore hold. If the bearings in his case failed this would point to general poor design and / or manufacture for VW group water pumps in general (?)

Smellysocks:  Do you know what failed (i.e. broken / detached impeller, failed bearing, failed seal, some combination of same)?

9 hours ago, Upsidedown said:

Smellysocks:  Do you know what failed (i.e. broken / detached impeller, failed bearing, failed seal, some combination of same)?

Upsidedown:   No, not yet.  Still in the vehicle which is off the road until we can sort something out with dealer and /or SKODA.  Taking the vehicle to dealer tomorrow (Tue) to reassess both the oil separator and water pump issues.

As a general update: yesterday the Yeti had it's underbelly videoed again (oil separator and water pump) by dealer and forwarded to SKODA (Au).

Like any owner understanding 'why' something is happening and a permanent solution are important.

Cheers

the coolant pump is run separate from the timing belt and is on the gearbox side of engine, The most common cause of coolant leak from that area is the coolant pump housing rubber seal leaking.  

Thanks for the update.

Forgive my hignorance but why is the dealer filming the underside of your vehicle - and then sending the video to SAus? On the face of it it seems an odd thing to do.  (Are they perhaps going for a 'bum covering exercise' before they pull anything apart?)

I think it's a std way of this dealer showing the client what's going on underneath when they do a service and includes tyre depth etc and audio by the mechanic.  They txt it to the customer to help better understand recommendations they make prior to you giving the ok for the work and I've found it useful.

I would expect other dealerships would do something similar???

As for sending it to SKODA (Aus) it is being used to support the submission to SKODA (Aus) to come to the party :)

I haven't come across this before but my Yeti is the first vehicle I haven't effectively worked on. (i.e. I haven't previously used professional mechanics) Its an interesting approach. Will of course be interesting to hear what SAus have to say (Good luck)

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

SkodaNZ and I have settled my claim for the water pump issue prior to the scheduled Disputes Tribunal hearing next week. SNZ have agreed to pay 50% of my costs, which are the water pump repair itself and the inter-related out-of-pocket expenses. This is in advance of the compensation agreed between the US class action case litigants and VW I mentioned in an earlier post.

Quite what prompted this offer I am not sure but a a colleague of mine once said "A complaint is an opportunity". It is something I have always remembered. I therefore commend SNZ for turning my complaint into a complement (from me) for the way they eventually handled the matter.

I can now re-bury some of the gold bars I initially dug up to pay for the incident. (Note to self - When drawing up a map this time remember to add 'X marks the spot'!)

Smellysocks: Any news on your problem / situation?

• Like 1

Upsidedown: Good to hear you have satisfaction from SNZ 'tho a little sad it took a pending Disputes Tribunal hearing before they decided to come to the party.  Re my water pump & oil separator issue, I am awaiting a response from SKODA (Aus) via dealer.

No news.  The water pump and oil separator issues where discovered 14April21 during annual it's service.  It's effectively been 'off the road' since then as I seek to resolve the issues prior to the work being carried out.  SKODA (Aus) has only responded to my written communication when I phone them, having given them 2 weeks to respond each time.  The dealer has been more prompt.  Currently awaiting SKODA (Aus) response via dealer ........it'll be 2 weeks this Tuesday.

When the work is finally carried out I'll share the details.

• 2 weeks later...