Charging a car battery via the cigar lighter socket

Trev96

This is probably a better forum to post this than the "Handy Tips".

Occasionally my yeti’s battery gets low enough to not be able to start the engine. The problem is that the car has to be nose-in in the garage (no mains electricity), so I can’t open the bonnet.

I believe that it’s possible to trickle charge it via the cigarette lighter socket using a good 12v battery . Has anybody done this? Would a 12Ah motorcycle battery do? Twice before I relied on a RAC bloke to help me push it out.

15 minutes ago, Trev96 said:

it’s possible to trickle charge it via the cigarette lighter socket using a good 12v battery

Well yes, if the car battery is lower on charge than the one you're charging it from. You might also want to note that the ancillary socket is only rated at about 200W maximum, so it will take about 5 hours to transfer 1kW of electricity this way.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Expecting a connection like that to charge a battery in 5 minutes is somewhat optimistic and impatient, I guess you wont be an EV early adopter!

Its good that it has a readout though.

Are you aware that you have the same avatar as another contributor?

On 03/08/2021 at 01:00, varaderoguy said:

The 'modern' way of charging is now via the ODBC port for Solar panel chargers.

Never heard of this how does it work do they sell them on ebay does anyone know please?