Variable Service question

Bought my wife a 2017 plate 1.2 petrol three months back. Just done 35,000 miles and I discovered it's on the Variable Service which has now advised me of an inspection in three week's time. I presume that all other services have been attended to although I suspect they are stored digitally, which I need to get access to thru Skoda.

Can anyone shed any light on roughly what to expect in this new service? It's done only 1,000 miles since purchase in March.

Hi I can't remember what Variable Servicing meant, I think it was for higher mileage vehicles and I'm not sure if they still (or did) use the term in the Dealerships.

All these terms mean very little unless you have a contract, preferably on paper.

35k-miles isn't a lot for a 3 or 4 year old car so you'd be best with the old 12 months or 12k-miles whichever is the sooner service, if the last service was more than 12 months or 12k-miles ago then that's what you want.

Nowadays an annual service tends to be an engine oil and filter change, very quick visual check of the car (unless they're short of work and then some can find things) update computers and some give a completed tick sheet (accurate or not but explanations can be given for any discreteness)  .

Now 1,000 miles of short journeys is very wearing on the engine, and wearing on your brakes, electrics,  clutch, gearbox, steering, ect. worth possibly 10k miles of motorway use.

But the engine is very unimportant really when considered against the brakes, steering , suspension, wheels - and tyres are included in all of those - so check all of those and that the brake fluid has been changed or needs changing (every 2 years normally) as that's often missed.

Before the service you can ask for a paper print out of the 'Complete record' of your car's service, and after, if you're young they'll say it's all digital, if you're old they won't argue and print it off.  Physical paper print is much more powerful than any individual screen or phone staring, the power of a fingertip pointing out something on printed paper between two people is now magically powerful in the modern world.

Remember you don't have to take your car to them and that most of their customers only want the minimum done so you have to tell them about the extra work like brake fluid changes.

Here's what my wife got from the latest dealership, for 3-10 year cars (cambelt 5 years now), I can't remember what "Extended Scope" is.  I hope you can read it or download, if not you could try Skoda UK for the latest wording. -

Screenshot 2021-06-22 192040.jpg

Edited by nta16
speeling and stuff

@Pal62v you may of only owned car 3 months and added 1000 miles, but if a service indicator is now counting down then it wasn’t done when it was sold to you.

The Government MOT checker should indicate it’s mileage at third birthday so that might give you more of a clue how many miles done in last year,  assuming  your car is now about 4 years old.

Generally if you do lots of short journeys, then annual services are best, the extended scope is normally alternate years so will be needed at 4th year.

At 35000 miles can probably hold off on changing spark plugs for a year.  Brake fluid can be tested by dealer (might have been done at end of year 3), but if still original probably need doing.   Brake pad wear will depend on usage (and how hilly it was where previous owner lived).

You can choose what else you want to add, if front tyres are wearing faster then good idea to rotate wheels to even out the wear.   But if they want to charge lots get it done at tyre depot instead.  (Should be free if doing brake pads as wheels will be taken off anyway)

One thing I always do, is get a print out both of work done and cumulative history when I pay bill at pick up after service.   Then next year you will have a record and know what was done as you will have forgotten in 12 months time.

Edited by SurreyJohn