Sat Nav Coordinates Wrong on Amundsen Infotainment

When I try to set coordinates in my Amundsen sat nav it won't allow me to enter some digits and when I move the map to the location I want, the coordinates displayed are totally different to the ones shown on the destination details of the location.

When I choose to pick a location on the map it presents me with three fields each for longitude and latitude:

Degrees = 2 digits

' = 3 digits

. = 4 digits

but I can't fathom how to enter a coordinate from the web with a format like 53.1486  -1.2957

Can someone tell where I'm going wrong?

So I've been looking around the web and it appears that there are two coordinate formats, Degrees, Minutes, Seconds (DMS) and Decimal Degrees (DD).

So I'm now going to look for a table to convert to DMS and hopefully that will do the trick.

The job is sorted!

Found a conversion app on play store that works a treat and shows the location on a map so that you can double check you've got it right.

It's a shame that the unit won't accept either format but hey ho, life's too short and all that 🙂

There is also degrees, minutes and decimals of minutes, used a lot in aviation. But bearing in mind there are 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in a degree, it’s a fairly easy maths problem. Also worth remembering that latitude goes +-90 (2 digits) whilst longitude goes +-180 (3 digits).

On 03/07/2021 at 18:10, bubib5 said:

Mind i ask why you would input in that format, rather than adress, or use your phone connected to the car and navigate?

I've found that for a number of places that I'm going to such as caravan parks, retail units etc it doesn't recognise the address as they don't tend to have street numbers and just using the postcode can be way off your destination.

Can't see that using the phone would be any easier than using coordinates 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2021 at 15:01, BarneyMike said:

I've found that for a number of places that I'm going to such as caravan parks, retail units etc it doesn't recognise the address as they don't tend to have street numbers and just using the postcode can be way off your destination.

Can't see that using the phone would be any easier than using coordinates 🤔

I've had the same problem using postcodes to find customer sites, as they can often be half a mile or more from where you want to be.

I always use the DMS co-ordinates.  Before finding an app to convert from digital format, I made an excel spreadsheet to do it.  Bit of a faff, but it worked.

These days, if I'm going somewhere I haven't been before, I use google maps to locate the site, streetview to find the entrance to the car park, or whatever, then drop a pin in the map at that point.  That then generates digital co-ordinates (first pic) and if you click on them, it gives another box with DMS co-ordinates.

GM1.jpg

GM2.jpg