Engine work on my 2010 170hp 4x4

Hi All,

My beloved superb estate decided to bite the dust the other week and the garage have given me this list of work needing done on the engine (multi v belt snapped which wrapped around the cambelt according to them):

'It will need 8 new rockers, both camshafts (the belt laces had wrapped around causing damage), a timing belt kit and multi v belt. Not horrific by any means, it could be a lot worse.

The estimate comes in around £2000 inc VAT using genuine parts. That would include what we’ve spent on it already.'

Considering I spent 3.5k on the car originally, would doing the replacement work myself be a feasible suggestion? If so what ballpark of cost would that end up being?

It's a right shame because I've had some great adventures in the car and I thought there'd still be a lot of life left!

Very little if replacement cams dont turn out to be needed, my concern would be valve, guide & seat damage as there may well have been piston/valve contact.

I would want to remove the cams & do a cylinder leakdown test before continuing.

• Thanks 1

The cam rockers are designed as the week point so they break hopefully before more damage is done has this happen on my old car 2.0 pd (believe cr engine is similar)  engine broke 2 rockers fitted new ones fired right up