Fabia 2 - 1.2 fuel filter connector clip

Had fuel leaking from the filter (not sure exactly where), so thought I'd just replace anyway as no record of being done. Replaced with Mann WK69/2 and all went well (apart from rusted out mounting bolt that I had to drill out and replace with a stainless one).

However, a few weeks and few hundred miles later and the return line popped off the filter and killed the engine. Looks like the clip in the connector is not locking onto the ridge in the filter pipe (blue bit in picture). Having spent the evening searching the web I discover that these clips are a common problem, and the usual advice is to replace the whole pipe assembly, often involving dropping the tank!

However I do see some clips are advertised (often for Octavia or Golf, but not Fabia or Polo). Has anyone replaced just the clip in the filter connectors on a 2009 Fabia 1.2 ? Any advice or part number for the clips? 

I will take a better look at the connector tomorrow and clean it again in the hope some dirt is preventing latching.

IMG_4994(1).JPG

VW Group do sell repair kits for these connectors, I bought one many years ago for a 2002 VW Polo fuel filter change, that just never happened, I had no proper reason to buy that repair kit, but I reasoned out that VW Group would not be selling them unless they were sometimes required.

I've just had a look at the kit contents, it was for a 1.4 16V thought both cars share the same filter "type" if not necessary the same fuel regulator, and the kit contains a green plastic cage, a new O-ring and a small retainer clip - I'd think all of that fits inside that black housing. The part number for at least the BBY engined 2002 Polo was 6Q0 298 260 - if any of that is of any use to you, these parts were bought over 10 years ago.

• Love it! 1

thanks for the info - i did a search on that kit number and the three parts you mention don't look the same as any of the parts i have (for a BBM fabia) - so i think they must have been different connectors. - but thanks anyway.

I did however manage to refit my connector properly - although it felt it had been pushed fully home, i concluded it was not far enough on, so some thorough cleaning and then a smear of vaseline on the new filter stem, and it went fully home with a very satisfying loud click - so i'm sure its on properly now.

• Like 1