Octavia iV Estate - flat 12v battery

Still have exact same issues re Lights coming on all night and software faults, car coming up to 1 year old, 4th visit to dealership coming up for same issue and last time they replaced the control module which obv didnt work.

Am gunna start a new topic asking for advice from everyone to see of i can still reject car with vwfs finance for faulty vehicle

Re: the 12v battery going flat, I’ve just had this through today from my local dealer: 

“We have just been notified that Skoda have today released a new recall in regards to the Battery monitoring system, the recall is for the exact same issues you have been experiencing lately.

We have been asked to replace the battery monitoring control unit as part of the recall & I have ordered the part ready for your visit to us on Wednesday.”

• Like 1

Hi all. Very discouraging to read all this.

I have had mine, PHEV Octavia for 2 months in use.

I had some "energy management unit", maybe same part that was mentioned,

replaced after 1st 12V flat and was told that this

will be changed to all vehicles.

But guess what, it did not help. 12V got flat again and now 2 weeks in repair.

I do charge every day to full, 2-3hrs depending on weather and level, I leave charger plugged in.

Also, the couple of very low power situations with the two deaths of the battery.

Some incidents happened after 100km trip, so petrol was used there.

I try to use always in EV mode when possible.

From reading this topic I understood that this should not matter,

and 12V is charged when plugged in and while

driving, EV or hybrid mode.

The list of lights blinking is a long one.

Sugar on top, the aux heater system is outrageous so to speak.

Messes up some engine sensors and leads to yellow/orange motor light, because aux does not heat up engine,

and when engine is started the heated liquid runs into cold engine, if I understand this correctly.

This is for emissions, but how 0.1-0.2l of gas is less that warm engine consuming less?

Also in cold temps the engine struggles to start.

Octavia 2 - 3 never had problems,  even when AUX heater has been heavily and stress free used.

I have no idea if I can return the vehicle at full price or not.

But for sure, I will start documenting even more precisely from now on.

Starting video recording on each use. This is really wearing me out.

And the mobile app design and responsiviness...

Well, I had the dream of using the schedule, but, yeah, many steps, wait 30 sec after each,

hoping the requests do not fail. And the states of car say up to date and every now and then they are not.

Some pages have range correct and others do not show percentages correctly etc.

Very basic stuff that could be done at the client app side.

This is ridiculous for a 40 000 eur car. I am losing my faith, for third time now.

It has been hard times with new vehicle I just can not trust.

Car has lots of nice things and I would like it so much, but the 12V struggle breaks the whole package.

Hi. 
We got our Octavia iV in november 2021 and has been away for repair for more than one month by now with exactly the same issues as you experience. 

What I understand by reading this thread, these common problems have been around for the whole of 2021, or? And they still have no definite solution?

The first time it died there was no solution so they re-charged the battery and the car died one month later. Second time I was told they had a solution but the needed hardware was out of stock, so they kept the car for more than 3 weeks. 

The problem came back 10 days after picking it up and it was stone dead a third time. 

Now, Skoda have sent 2 solutions where the first one was simply to re-charge the battery.

The second solution should fix a problem which occour at very warm outdoor conditions, such as hot summer days. But this does not apply as it is certainly not summer here in Sweden at the moment with temperatures below zero.

They have kept the car for 10 days this time and they are still trobleshooting.

23 minutes ago, Fredrik_f said:

Hi. 
We got our Octavia iV in november 2021 and has been away for repair for more than one month by now with exactly the same issues as you experience. 

What I understand by reading this thread, these common problems have been around for the whole of 2021, or? And they still have no definite solution?

The first time it died there was no solution so they re-charged the battery and the car died one month later. Second time I was told they had a solution but the needed hardware was out of stock, so they kept the car for more than 3 weeks. 

The problem came back 10 days after picking it up and it was stone dead a third time. 

Now, Skoda have sent 2 solutions where the first one was simply to re-charge the battery.

The second solution should fix a problem which occour at very warm outdoor conditions, such as hot summer days. But this does not apply as it is certainly not summer here in Sweden at the moment with temperatures below zero.

They have kept the car for 10 days this time and they are still trobleshooting.

Same as me, got it in November to Finland. I do not see any hope for solving this with Skoda, and certainly, consumer should not be put in this situation.

On 13/10/2021 at 22:24, brelmondo said:

I collected my VRS iV  from the dealership earlier in the week, after a new control module was fitted. Thankfully no errors, warnings or flat batteries to report of since.

Keeping my fingers crossed this has resolved my issues.

Was it the so called MIB unit? Did it solve 12V management? Equipment were turned on with faulty unit?

I understand all recent posters frustrations, it seems to be the same issues I have been having exactly.

I had the unit replacement and it still did not fix the vehicle. Interestingly the unit was switched with, at the time, a newer production model so either it still goes on or its not the unit causing the problem, no one actually knows and unless you can see what your car is doing throughout the night, many people may be unaware it happens (until one day they have a low 12v battery warning when they jump in their car in the morning)

Long story short, now going through process of rejecting my car even though its a year later but the key issue possibly allowing it to happen is this brake light 12V issue that as far as my dealership is concerned, they cannot and do not know how to fix it at present. They cannot replicate the problem in garage and only have my security camera footage to evidence it actually happens e.g no data on vehicle shows any problems.

SKODA ARE NOT AWARE OF THIS 12V BATTERY / LIGHT DRAINING

The dealership reckons they are not aware of anyone else having the problem. I mentioned speaking to a few people on forum with the exact same issue but I can safely predict that unless enough people are reporting the issue to them, Skoda will not recognise it as a known fault and will not provide its dealerships with a possible fix

54 minutes ago, Skoolboyerror said:

I understand all recent posters frustrations, it seems to be the same issues I have been having exactly.

I had the unit replacement and it still did not fix the vehicle. Interestingly the unit was switched with, at the time, a newer production model so either it still goes on or its not the unit causing the problem, no one actually knows and unless you can see what your car is doing throughout the night, many people may be unaware it happens (until one day they have a low 12v battery warning when they jump in their car in the morning)

Long story short, now going through process of rejecting my car even though its a year later but the key issue possibly allowing it to happen is this brake light 12V issue that as far as my dealership is concerned, they cannot and do not know how to fix it at present. They cannot replicate the problem in garage and only have my security camera footage to evidence it actually happens e.g no data on vehicle shows any problems.

The dealership reckons they are not aware of anyone else having the problem. I mentioned speaking to a few people on forum with the exact same issue but I can safely predict that unless enough people are reporting the issue to them, Skoda will not recognise it as a known fault and will not provide its dealerships with a possible fix

I have had this occasional light blink.

I was told this is fixed.

I was told that the logs showed systems going on.

I was told that the unit has been replaced.

I will get my car back but still I am not convinced

This. Is. Bad.

1 hour ago, Skoolboyerror said:

I have some power management part changed, AND the MIB. Did you refer to first one (some power management part) and not the MIB (whatever main management unit that is that needs programming etc etc)

And, I have not had any 12V warnings actually, Just dead car at 3.x volts.

There were comments on the 12V charging. In many cases the charging is not the issue here.

If systems are woke up, with some consumption the battery can still be depleted overnight, no matter if it was charged or not.

However to sum up the charging of the 12V. from VAGProf and other sources (repair shop, manual)

Does not have traditional charger within the gas engine or starter motor,

but the electric motor and gas motor work on the same clutch (pardon me here if I do not know the terms)

The 12V battery is charged up to 80% whenever the high voltage battery is charged.

And possibly rolling down the hill the rest 20% if HV battery is full.

Car should force petrol engine to run if 12V is low and system works,

this makes the HV charge and therefore 12V too is my guess.

I did some initial measurements from the points mentioned in manual, earth and plus:

12.5V (I did not let the battery rest, might affect) -- some chart says this is over 80%, not sure if applies to this system and battery.

12.2V Opened doors

15,06V Plugged in my charger (Webasto Pure II), closed doors

I hope this can give some info for someone.

I will write more info if my system works or not after time.

I will continue random measurements and measurements under conditions like 40km EV trip.

• Like 2

Hi!

I got the car back yesterday and the car mechanic told me that the causing problem is most probably because the car lights up occasionally. They had seen it in their garage and according to them Skoda is now working on a fix for that problem. 🙄 They also said my errand (correct english word?) is still open and that they will contact me when the fix is available.

He also said they are fed up with having my car there 🙂 and that they now have 3 other new Octavias in there garage with the same problem.(!)

Fredrik - sorry to hear this. If they are fed up having your car then they need to get it fixed! I do not like the implication that it is somehow your fault when the responsibility so clearly lies with Skoda. And given that they have three others, I hope they are feeding all this back to Skoda. I've had to put a camera in the garage so I can monitor the car lights and to make sure the small security light continues to flash. When you hear the fix is available, PLEASE let us know.

"Errand" = "case". I think. Your case is still open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fredrik_f said:

Hi!

I got the car back yesterday and the car mechanic told me that the causing problem is most probably because the car lights up occasionally. They had seen it in their garage and according to them Skoda is now working on a fix for that problem. 🙄 They also said my errand (correct english word?) is still open and that they will contact me when the fix is available.

He also said they are fed up with having my car there 🙂 and that they now have 3 other new Octavias in there garage with the same problem.(!)

Yes it is their job, find another repair shop if possible. My town has 2, they have been nice to me.

So, they changed the MIB (some central unit) and so far 2 days without any problems.

I have the paid service  so it should cover up to 5 years.

I am keeping diary for now, if any incident is happening, day/time/temp, and also I plan to drive the car empty some day and measure 12V after rest.

In English, so if they need to contact factory, it will be easier and faster to track down problems.

12 minutes ago, PhevFunLife said:

I am keeping diary for now, if any incident is happening, day/time/temp, and also I plan to drive the car empty some day and measure 12V after rest.

In English, so if they need to contact factory, it will be easier and faster to track down problems.

Great idea!
I will build a photo sensor + a Arduino/Raspberry Pi to keep track of how many times and for how long the car lights up, if it occurs again. I don't have any possibilities to keep track with a camera but I think it will work fine.

At writing time our car has been at the service shop for 36 days in total (we have had the car for 74 days). 🙌

2 minutes ago, Fredrik_f said:

Great idea!
I will build a photo sensor + a Arduino/Raspberry Pi to keep track of how many times and for how long the car lights up, if it occurs again. I don't have any possibilities to keep track with a camera but I think it will work fine.

At writing time our car has been at the service shop for 36 days in total (we have had the car for 74 days). 🙌

Although I am programmer, time is limited, so I was just about to get some motion sensor camera, Logitech or similar, something cheap.

Just curious, have you had the MIB changed like me, and if, it was not the issue?

On 12/02/2022 at 13:16, PhevFunLife said:

Just curious, have you had the MIB changed like me, and if, it was not the issue?

Last thing they did was to change a control unit for the 12V battery, which Skoda thought was causing leaking current. But that did not solve the problem. The part was out of stock for more than 3 weeks

8 hours ago, Fredrik_f said:

Last thing they did was to change a control unit for the 12V battery, which Skoda thought was causing leaking current. But that did not solve the problem. The part was out of stock for more than 3 weeks

Ok. So, I got a power management part changed and it did not help. Now I have had the MIB changed and 3 days without problems. Too early to tell though.

7 minutes ago, PhevFunLife said:

Ok. So, I got a power management part changed and it did not help. Now I have had the MIB changed and 3 days without problems. Too early to tell though.

Ok! I managed to setup a motion-triggered camera which also can trigger on changes in light, and had it running last night but the car did not light up. I will keep it running to see if something happens. It’s super to be a beta tester for Skodas products.  :)

84D9EDF2-B2DB-4BF1-9EE7-C7200243FA28.jpeg

So far so good with the 12V here! But just 9 days since MIB change.

And, quite mild temps now -3c. EV Range 45km yesterday.

The annoying aux heater messes up engine sensors still exists... got it at -17c.

Maybe there is a thread for that... 

ONE note to 12V charging, I assumed, what the mechanics and manuals said

that it charges ONLY when High Voltage battery charges, It does so at 15V

BUT I measured also 14V when I was unplugged and started car (was in EV mode)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Skoda released a service campaign (27J6) on Monday (21/03/2022) which appears to be trying to rectify some of the issues highlighted with 12V batteries going flat.

The only reason I know about this is because I was due to pick up a VRS iV on Monday but the dealer now can't hand it over until the service actions are completed. That said, the dealer have also been very coy about what the service campaign covered so I went searching on erWin for more info.

The service campaign reads:

"Due to protection of the 12V battery, it is necessary to replace the control unit for the battery monitoring and update the Gateway control unit on Octavia A8 PHEV vehicles from a certain production period."

There are two potential remedies which is vehicle specific, one requires a part replacement and a software update, and the other just requires a software update. 

Criterion 01 On the vehicles affected, it is necessary to replace the battery monitoring control unit, update the Gateway control unit and place the additional supplement Board literature in the vehicle.

(The battery monitoring control unit is part no 5WA 915 181 G)

Criterion 02 On the vehicles affected, it is necessary to update the Gateway control unit.

The car I am due to pick up falls under 'Criterion 01' so will need the new control unit. The dealer has already told me this is on back order so who knows when it may be rectified. 

If anyone is still having problems with their 12V battery, may be worth a call to your dealer to see if this latest service campaign affects your vehicle. That said, who knows if it will actually solve any issues! 

I have not had 12V problems since some units replaced, however the general feeling of sensor nags, and the petrol engine handling and warming in cold... For next winter... 

I gave up and can not trust this one. Swapping to full EV of another brand.

Good luck!