WIFI Cameras

Octy0GG

Hello 

Looking to get a new compact digital camera.  - Cannon PowerShot A470 shutter is failing - appears to be a recognised fault resulting in massive over exposure.

Not looking at anything expensive - no more than £200

I notice that even at this price level most are WIFI cameras.

Not really sure what this amounts to or whether I really want it.

I'm sort of presuming the primary function of WIFI cameras is for tracking rather than any functional advantage for the user.

Are they effectively WIFI dependant?

Presumably you will always be needing to find a WIFI signal to connect to?

If you have a WIFI connection does that mean you can photograph / video direct to your computer rather than store on cameras own SD card.

Apologies if these are dumb questions - I was into photography back in the film days but have no real interest in digital beyond getting something that will do the job as simply and reliably as possible.

Thanks

When we were looking for a compact camera for my wife one of our requirements was for it to have a viewfinder. She had prviously had a Canon Ixus which only had a screen and she found it very difficult to see what she was taking a photo of in bright sunlight. After much searching for a camera with a viewfider, as they are getting very rare, we bought a Panasonic TZ70 which has a viewfinder, 12.1 Mpixels and a 30x optical zoom. It is also "Wi-Fi Certified" but we have never used that function. It does allow you to control the camera from an app on your phone which I have tried once and then never used again. It takes good quality photos and we are happy with it. Looking online the price new appears to be about £200 but I think that we bought ours a a Grade A refurbished model for less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/07/2021 at 11:56, Liger1956 said:

When we were looking for a compact camera for my wife one of our requirements was for it to have a viewfinder. She had prviously had a Canon Ixus which only had a screen and she found it very difficult to see what she was taking a photo of in bright sunlight. After much searching for a camera with a viewfider, as they are getting very rare, we bought a Panasonic TZ70 which has a viewfinder, 12.1 Mpixels and a 30x optical zoom. It is also "Wi-Fi Certified" but we have never used that function. It does allow you to control the camera from an app on your phone which I have tried once and then never used again. It takes good quality photos and we are happy with it. Looking online the price new appears to be about £200 but I think that we bought ours a a Grade A refurbished model for less.

Can only second this. I've had a number of TZ series cameras and my current TZ70 has proved both durable and versatile.

I used the WiFi functionality to both remotely trigger the camera and transfer photos to my phone - very handy:thumbup:

I was lucky enough to purchase an 'as new' tz70 from eBay for just less than £100. I purchased this to replace an earlier tz70 which I had effectively worn out!