Leaking Clutch - Ongoing issues.

gromr123

Hi all,

I've got a 2010 Yeti 4x4 170. It's been having issues with the clutch losing pressure slowly. A few months back the pedal stayed on the floor after a motorway stint and I ended up having to bleed the clutch from the master cylinder under the airbox which sort of fixed it, but not much air came out.

However there was still a fair bit of dead pedal travel and it felt a bit 'off'.

That was a couple months ago and today I'm noticing the clutch starting to feel a bit soft again when it comes back up, similar to how it did before the pedal stayed on the floor.  I happened to be dropping the little Mx5 off at a garage today and spoke to the mechanic about the Yeti, who turned out to be ex-VW. He said it was very likely the slave cylinder leaking which is quite helpfully inside the gearbox.

If this needs replacing then you'd be looking at gearbox off, and obviously you might as well change the clutch and DMF too. £845 is the best quote I've got so far.

Has anyone had this issue? It's still got pressure, but seems to be losing it very very slowly overtime. The pedal has about 2 inch of travel before it engages which feels pretty weird, it hasn't gone away with bleeding.

Annoyingly Its come up a day before we are due to go away to Yorkshire for the weekend, so I'm hoping I can re-bleed it later to nurse it along a bit longer until I can get it to a garage next week.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, gromr123 said:

it was very likely the slave cylinder leaking

Haven't had this on a Skoda myself, but yes it's a fairly common issue with hydraulic clutches across a range of makes.

If it is the slave cylinder leaking I would imagine the fluid level is likely to be falling. The master cylinder can leak fluid past the seals and back into the reservoir, and under these conditions the fluid level will remain constant. This could give a clue as to where the problem lies. Good luck in resolving it.

• Like 1