Goodbye to my Mk1

Hi guys.

I have to say, I've had to say goodbye to my Mk1 L&K.  After over 7 years of ownership, it was time to move on, especially after being tucked up by a national franchise which then tried to sue me after I left a 1 star review on Trustpilot.....Anywaaay, that's another story.

I'll still be on the forum as my wife has her Mk2 which she spends no money on so there are problems to fix.  You'll all be saddened to learn I replaced my Octy with a Volvo.  My excuse was I needed a car but couldn't find an Octy with the spec I wanted at that time.  It did take me a year of looking to find my Mk1 in the 1st place y'know.

Anyway that's that.  Take care chaps.  Till we meet again

• Like 3

On 29/07/2021 at 20:40, CrazyL said:

after being tucked up by a national franchise which then tried to sue me after I left a 1 star review on Trustpilot

this.... seems like something that needs expanding on...... 

29 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

this.... seems like something that needs expanding on...... 

Well, since you asked.

Imagine forking out £800 for an apparent Sachs clutch and DMF from a national chain that has the aforementioned mechanical part in their name.  Imagine not going for the intermittent checks as it's a non adjustable hydraulic clutch and it's lockdown anyway, and with your disabled wife, you're not sure you want to risk it.  Imagine the clutch slipping after only 4000 miles later and after only 14 months.   So I only missed the 2 checks out of the 4 required.

I asked an indy if they thought my clutch was slipping, he said yes, I was due to go back to the franchised garage where it was fitted but thought that as soon as they take a socket to my car, That's more money, because I doubt they would admit to fitting a recon item or doing a shat job.

Left a 1 star rating on trustpilot, received a letter from owner of chains lawyers threatening me with defamation of character, loss of income (as I didn't go back to the garage) and alleging they fit reconditioned clutches, when I said no such thing.  I have other troubles in my life so didn't need the hassle, thus removed my review and shut down my trustpilot account.  In hindsight, maybe I should have gone back and let them take my car apart again, but in my defence, it's like when you know you don't someone touching your car/bike again so you don't go back, it's like that.  I would feel very uneasy about letting them take my car apart again, who knows wtf they'd do.

Trustpilot are well aware of this happening to others but don't actually tell the chain garage to do one, probably because they get a steady bit of dosh for the garage having a trustpilot account.  

• Sad 1

So you have a problem with your clutch after 14 months (how long was the guarantee?) but you would not take it back for them to look at, you dont know what the fault is and neither do they if they can't see it, you leave them a 1 star review without having given them the opportunity to diagnose and rectify the fault.

I would have asked you to remove the review as well, if subsequent negotiations broke down then at least you would have something concrete to say in a review.

Yeah, JR, I don't really want to talk about it.  What's done is done, maybe I should have let them take my car apart again, maybe not, but with some problems in life I have right now, I was of the frame of mind that if they haven't got the hang of fitting clutches after several decades, then I don't fancy my chances with them admitting/finding/being honest about what was the matter.  I have other issues.

Case closed

Anyway, I'm still here as the wife has a Mk2 and she is inept at mechanical stuff and forums, not her fault though, she is disabled.

See you around chaps

Edited by CrazyL

• Dean locked this topic