Rob's Mk1 VRS Combi

RMDavis

12 minutes ago, Evil said:

I had a Jungle Green mk3 Cavalier... lovely colour, pearlescent - a bit darker than the Audi green iirc?

I've seen pics of Race Blue mk1's. They do look nice imo but (also imo) not quite right.

Yes bud that's the one.

Found this lovely Vectra GSi which looks awesome in that shade.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-S-Vauxhall-Vectra-B-GSi-2-5i-V6-24v-a-c-GSi-Phase-1-Immaculate-Car-/294411121928?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Works well with the black bumper/door strips which the MK1 has also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I always liked that era of Vectra. My Grandad had a fairly basic Vectra LS 1.8 at the time, a black one.

We still have an SRi150 one of those.. in black.

• Love it! 1

I've been noticing a Mazda colour of late that keeps catching my eye. 

I think it's called Soul Red Crystal & it looks amazing in the sun. Not sure about it on a Mk1 but it's definitely eye catching.

AF619593-D902-4795-8-E10-AECCD23-A4-E6-A~2.jpg

• Like 2

Skoda do the Velvet Red which is a similar colour to that Mazda.

I was looking at a MkIII estate vRS in it and it was very nice. Not quite as pearly as the Mazda colour I think though.

Might be too close to Corrida Red though...🤔

Edited by HeavyMetalRich
Added info.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

Might be too close to Corrida Red though...

That's probably why it's caught my eye. On the odd occasion I consider getting mine resprayed, I keep thinking of this colour as the one to go for. Not too dissimilar to the original but it's got more depth to the paint.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the suggestions chaps.

Thinking about it over the last week I've decided to keep it original and stay with the black!

Managed to get the rest of the car stripped yesterday and it's now ready for paint preparation. 

Removing the rear windows with the fixed pane of glass was a little tricky on my own as was trying to remove all the rubber window seals and roof strips without deforming them...

Got a shopping list for bits I want to replace when it goes back together and also want to upgrade the speakers whilst all the door cards off.

Ordered some Milotec vents for the front bumper as I really think they suit the car and add to the budget RS4 Avant look! 😂

I've also been looking at the Pro Alloy FMIC something that can easily be fitted whilst the car is stripped. It's a single pass intercooler and doesn't require any extensive cutting to the bumper which appeals to me.

Here's a few photos as the Combi currently stands, notice the orange box filled with individually marked bags for all the fixings! 😎

20211030_133726.thumb.jpg.cea88a8b76ca45f442ae1d8720ccb99d.jpg

20211030_133711.thumb.jpg.c5426c341ae2a07aaeed3e180d5facfc.jpg

20211030_133704.thumb.jpg.a930bc9501b5958a28a9a7f8eb504bfa.jpg

• Like 3

Gonna look the badgers nadgers mate. 

Very interested in how you get on with the intercooler, that's near the top of my list for the new year.. 

Tales of major hassle running pipework is off putting so I've been looking for as close to plug and play as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

3 minutes ago, Evil said:

Gonna look the badgers nadgers mate. 

Very interested in how you get on with the intercooler, that's near the top of my list for the new year.. 

Tales of major hassle running pipework is off putting so I've been looking for as close to plug and play as possible. 

Cheers bud! 😊

It's a while away from completion yet but I know the effort will be well worth it!

I've read many mixed reports of fmic installation and I forsee much swearing... However it's something I really want to fit prior to mapping next year.

That and doing the 1.8t 'deletes' PCV etc is also on the list, another fun job! 

• Like 1

The deletes aren't too bad if you give yourself enough time, familiarise yourself with the bits and bobs your messing with and that... 

The thinking about it is definitely far worse than the doing it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just spent a small fortune on www.skoda-parts.com

X2 Smoked side repeaters (broke mine trying to remove...)

X40 Arch liner fixings (couldn't remember how many they're were and figured 10 a corner would suffice!)

Front mud guards

Rear mud guards

Alloy wheel centre caps

Front wiper arms

Octavia VRS tailgate badge

VRS radiator grill badge

Radiator grill and tailgate Skoda badges

Both front and rear arch liners

The two caps on the wiper arm scuttle panel 

1X door card clip 

Both front bumper air duct trims that attach to the wheel arch liner

There's lots more that I want/need but this will certainly do for now!

P.S my Milotec front bumper vents arrived today, I can't wait to get them fitted!

Edited by RMDavis
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Online shopping causes this. I buy so much for the Furby on the 'bay without realising it :D

It's far too easy!

Just read through the 'furby' on your project thread bud!

A cracking little car and its great to see another Skoda getting some well deserved TLC.

Upgrading my speakers is another item on my very long list...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RMDavis said:

Just read through the 'furby' on your project thread bud!

A cracking little car and its great to see another Skoda getting some well deserved TLC.

Thank you! These motors just need a bit of love and they've probably got another while out of them!

4 minutes ago, RMDavis said:

Upgrading my speakers is another item on my very long list...

I bought Pioneers for mine, in case you're looking for speakers, the reviews said they were lacking bass, but the vibrating of the entire car (can be felt through seat bases now) begs to differ! :D

• Like 1

Front door speakers are a huge disappointment - especially after the standard Mk4 Golf ones (I think the doors in the Golf helped massively too).

I'm going to pay someone to fit mine, I really cba.. they can fit the new aerial too, and the sub in the boot - when I get it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hit quite a milestone today...

Bodyshell done!  there's a few runs in the lacquer, and some minor imperfections, but overall it looks incredible!

Although it's been painted in a automotive spray/oven it's mainly used for scenic painting (I'm a set builder) so it's not perfectly setup for cars, but the preparation has really paid off on this one, and straight out of the gun the finish is pretty damn good!

I'm over the moon and can't wait to get it back together and out on the road enjoying it! 

20211230_140019.jpg

20211230_140024.jpg

20211230_140041.jpg

20211230_140052.jpg

20211230_140107.jpg

20211230_140115.jpg

20211230_140131.jpg

20211230_141727.jpg

20211230_141747.jpg

• Like 4

Nice!!

I've just been contacted by an old pal from Southend who's an excellent sprayer (and welder)..

He's offered to sort our cars for materials cost if we want..

He's also offered to build me a baja bug but that's a different story entirely 😆

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Evil said:

He's also offered to build me a baja bug but that's a different story entirely 😆

Do I sense a 'Non-Skoda project' thread, Evil?

Your motor is looking good, @RMDavis!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Evil said:

Nice!!

I've just been contacted by an old pal from Southend who's an excellent sprayer (and welder)..

He's offered to sort our cars for materials cost if we want..

That's a very kind offer mate, and one you should definitely take up! 👍🏻 

25 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Do I sense a 'Non-Skoda project' thread, Evil?

Your motor is looking good, @RMDavis!

Cheers bud, I can see the light now! 😁

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RMDavis said:

Bodyshell done!  there's a few runs in the lacquer, and some minor imperfections, but overall it looks incredible!

20211230_140052.jpg

Looks great!  I'll book my car in now if that's okay?  😁

• Like 2