Ignition coil wiring

Iris_Heart

Sup, name's Iris, I've acquired myself a 1982 Skoda 120GLS for like 200 bucks, the engine was almost completely disassembled when I got it and I've spent the past few weeks putting it together.

Now I've got it to the point that it cranks, but I noticed that one of the ignition coil wires is not connected to anything, the red wire here. It is connected to the, what I believe is the positive terminal, and the other end was hanging free near the starter, I've no idea where this should be going to, coil does seem to be getting power from somewhere as I measured the poles with a multimeter and got 6V with the power switched on.

Anyone mind pointing me to the right direction? I've downloaded some sort of service manual, but they don't really mention wiring at all in there.

Also I tried to do a compression test with my cheapo gauge and barely got 4.5 bar or about 50psi per cylinder, this does not seem good at all to me.

20210813_191040.jpg

As an added bonus, here's me learning the hard way that not every black cable is a ground cable, you can still see the cable I ran straight from the starter solenoid to ground, learned from the smoke that it was also connected to the battery and not a ground cable.

20210813_131701.jpg

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

Er, 4.5 bar is more like 68PSI (relative figures) but that's still very low. I'd start by checking that you have tappet gaps.

I will, once I get all this forehazard and loose wires stuff figured out. I wouldn't be surprised if the piston rings were stuck though, car hasn't been ran since 87

I found some stuff in some hayness manual that the red wire from the coil should run to the starter solenoid battery terminal, but there's no "tongue" for it to clip to and honestly I have no recollection how coils are supposed to be hooked up

• 3 weeks later...

The red wire on my 84 estelle goes to the right side of the carb And White to the distributer... Then I have a spare green hanging 😬😂  this was how it was when I bought it an the car runs fine not sure if thats any help for you

6 hours ago, Skodead said:

The red wire on my 84 estelle goes to the right side of the carb And White to the distributer... Then I have a spare green hanging 😬😂  this was how it was when I bought it an the car runs fine not sure if thats any help for you

Ah, so it's for the anti-dieseling or whatever device then, that thing is broken on mine so I just pulled the wire out and left the connector empty.

Got the thing running anyway after cleaning the contacts properly, now have to hook up the alternator wiring, do brake lines and put the rear bumper back on, should be about ready for inspection and to be put back on the road.

Yeah I believe so, sounds like your having as much fun as me... I've just done all brakes all round aswell as lines... Chasing a few unplugged wires also but it is getting there... still got a few bits to do before registration and inspection but pretty confident it'll be fine... I don't suppose you have a picture of the rear of your ignition switch at all do you.? 

1 hour ago, Skodead said:

I don't suppose you have a picture of the rear of your ignition switch at all do you.? 

I can take one when I get back to the shop after work, all the wires in mine were yellow and looked the same if memory serves so I don't think it will say much, but can still drop a pic here

Sorry only just seen the email, it's a 84 120l  I've just completely shot myself in the foot with the fuse box aswell, i updated to spade box and then found a wire that goes to fuse two so unplugged it an without thinking unplugged two other multi ins to tuck a wire behind an then realised I didn't note what bunch goes to what fuse... D-HEAD I know.. just a complete no thought moment...  Anybody help haha 

4 minutes ago, Skodead said:

84 120l 

Yeah, there are indeed wires for devices not fitted to your car; main beam auxiliary headlights and front fog lights for sure, possibly a multi-speed ventilation fan and a heated rear window. You get the idea. Compare your car with an LSE and expect wires for any devices it has and your's doesn't.

That would explain a few random wires then, everything works fine with them there i just wasn't to sure if the guy who had it before had bypassed some bits to get it going ect or to get round a wiring issue

2 hours ago, Skodead said:

84 120l

Sorry m8, I believe the 82 and 84 had different wiring along with the new engine, wouldn't the back page wiring diagram from a hayness help?

You can find a 90s hayness manual PDF online with some light googling, still need a pic of that ignition switch though?

Yeah mines a pain with the Haynes manual it's split between two diagrams because of the year so have to jump between two diagrams and two keys which is fun..  I have another online manual also but same story haha