Advice Needed Skoda Superb Mk 1

Hi All,

I have a few questions I hope someone can advise on.

I have a Mk1 Superb (AWX) on 172k and just had timing belt changed and full service.

I have an emissions light on the dash which after a scan is coming up as MAF sensor issue (before and after service) and the car is running in what seems like restricted power mode.

Does the sensor need cleaning or replacing in anyones experience? 

Where is the sensor and is it easy to change?

Are there various versions or one anyone can recommend?

Ive had creaking coming from the suspension on the front offside (all original suspension) and the garage advised a lot of parts need replacing:

o/s/f upper rear suspension arm

o/s/f track rod end

o/s/f lower rear suspension arm

n/s/f upper front suspension arm

both n/s/f lower suspension arms 

Total for all this is £715 fitted and will need it to pass MOT

They also said they cant guarantee that they can seperate the old parts and if they cant new hubs will be needed at £400 plus fitting per side.

I love the car and want to keep it running and have seen this kit and wondered it anyone has used it and if it is able to cover the parts above but not sure on its quality:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185005552006?fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda|Model%3ASuperb&hash=item2b1330b186:g:HU0AAOSw1PlhHcgl

Finally the brakes are on occasion very hard as the vacuum assist seems to fail (no obvious corrosion on the brake master cylinder) and plenum plugs removed.

Will the braking continue to deteriorate over time with loss of vacuum?

Is there any recommened solution to this other than a new part?

Thanks,

Re No 1) I never had the MAF issue in my ownership but I seem to remember it was very easy to get at - can't fully remember but I think it's top left under the bonnet, Replace with new.

Re No 2)  - front suspension. The Superb I is known for front suspension parts wearing out and not always coming apart, however replacing with the full kit of parts sounds like a plan.

On my Superb I during my 10 year ownership  in the last few years I seemed to have a joint or two needing replacement every other MOT.  Make sure the outer CV boots are also in tip top condition as it's very cheap and easy to replace whilst in bits! Likewise with steering rack bellows/boots.

Re No 3) - A colleague who bought my previous 2003 Superb had this issue - in the end it turned out to be the tandem vacuum pump failing. It's been ok since replacement.  The tandem pump (tandem as it's a vacuum and diesel pump) is a known weak spot with the 1.9pd. PS it's at the top back of the engine near the bulkhead. Check the pipe between the servo and tandem pimp - which has a "T" off in the middle to feed the pd vacuum controls.

Edited by bigjohn

Thanks Big John, 

Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I am also getting a "whooshing" sound after accelerating, is this the turbo on its way out?

If I accelerate and then release the gas peddle then there is a definite whoosing noise which never used to happen and it seems to be getting louder recently after starting about a month ago.

If not the turbo any idea what it could be?

Thanks again,

On 23/08/2021 at 23:32, Ben12345 said:

If I accelerate and then release the gas peddle then there is a definite whoosing noise which never used to happen and it seems to be getting louder recently after starting about a month ago.

If not the turbo any idea what it could be?

Sounds as though you might have a leak in the turbo pipework somewhere - could also potentially explain the MAF error you have. Thoroughly check where it connects too/from intercooler. Don't panic if you see a bit of oil.

Edited by bigjohn

On 26/08/2021 at 00:28, Ben12345 said:

Out of interest how long\miles should a turbo last

All I know is my previous Superb (2003 pd100) now has over 100k miles more than yours and the turbo is still going strong - It's had a meticulous service regime though and was taken off long life servicing as I bought it at 18 months old

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1