Mk3 FL LED Headlight Brightness

Is there a way to manually adjust the level of these lights?

On a 2 hour drive at night I’ll get flashed by other road users regularly including by those that I’ve been following.

I’ve mentioned it to my dealership a while back who said that they were fine and it’s passed it’s last 2 MOT’s with no issues.

As far as I know the continental travel option is correct as I don’t get warnings on the dash. I’ve parked up in front of the garage and had a play with this but can’t say as I noticed any movement from the lighting to make me want to choose the other option.

I do not have high beam assist on this model although as I have the lane assist camera I’d assume it could

be coded but that’s a whole other thread.

The car is on standard suspension and 18” wheels.

I find it frustrating that I bare the brunt of other road users for something that is out of my hands. Quite frankly it’s a danger to them and to me being on the receiving end of the responses.

With a change in my work routine I’ve been driving a lot more at night and it’ll only get worse when the nights draw in.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

You can use the adjusters on the headlights to lower them slightly:

image.thumb.png.0c7c397723343ffacaaffbdf47d530c4.png

I'm not sure it'll help though. LED headlights have a very sharp cutoff so if you're on bumpy ground, it'll look like your flashing the car in front...

High beam assist should be easy enough to enable, I've done it on my vRS and I'm happy to take a look at yours depending where in Norfolk you're based :)

• Thanks 1

@langers2k pm sent, thanks for the reply.

I’ll have a go at making those adjustments although I’ll kick myself if I missed that in the manual!

I understand what you mean about travelling over bumpy roads. Have been followed many times by a car with LEDs and wondered if I’d been flashed for something.

I mainly do motorway driving so it shouldn’t be an issue.

7 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

If it has passed the mot and everything is okay. I would leave them alone.

Considering the original thread I’d hardly say everything is ok. I’m not exaggerating the number of times I’m flashed by other road users - it’s a lot!

So for the safety of myself and others I’ll be having a crack at the adjustments  as per the instructions above and using an alignment guide I’ve come across on YouTube.

If they appear massively out in comparison to the guide then I’ll know I’m correct to adjust.

Will post the results.

5 hours ago, CookieMonster87 said:

Considering the original thread I’d hardly say everything is ok. I’m not exaggerating the number of times I’m flashed by other road users - it’s a lot!

So for the safety of myself and others I’ll be having a crack at the adjustments  as per the instructions above and using an alignment guide I’ve come across on YouTube.

If they appear massively out in comparison to the guide then I’ll know I’m correct to adjust.

Will post the results.

If the beam was too high then it would have been picked up on the mot headlight alignment test. The issue with LED is that they are brighter than xenon. What I would look at is the self levelling system to see if an arm has broken, so it cannot lower the lights when loaded.

The LED lights are very good granted. I have an issue outside of this though otherwise I wouldn’t be the only one with this issue.

The auto levelling is working fine, they move when I put the ignition on.

It’s something I’ve noticed since I’ve had the car to be honest and I just put it down to the fact the lights were better but I’ve seen other vRS with LEDs travelling towards me and I don’t find their lights to be blinding.

As for the the MOT side of things I can’t comment as to how thorough they would be with a 4 year old car with less than 25k miles on the clock but you’d like to think they would do a proper job.