SRAM SX 12 speed shifter issue

mac11irl

so i was out this morning, and had a weird issue.

after a nice flat out bit of rough track on my smallest chain ring, i hit the shifter to pop up a couple of rings as i hit the climby bit at the end. 

it clicked through 3 ratchets then a mild pop, and it never changed up. i went again and it went up a ring on the first ratchet click. went for another and i got the shifter pushing through like it was disconnected.

tick,tick,tick, then click and up it went to the next ring.

then the whole way up and down the cassette it moved on the first click. but again coming back up the rings from 2nd to 3rd smallest its triple "skipping" then biting on a fourth ratchet click i didnt even know the lever had the range to do, then fine again first click to the biggest ring. 

im gonna check the warranty details tomorrow as its at most 18months old, and get onto SRAM about it. but, anyone had a similar problem so i can better explain it to them? a google earlier on found some mtb forum threads on similar issues, but they all seemed to lose all shifting, not just a hard shift on one gear.

as you can imagine, with a couple of steep hills between me and home when it happened until i sussed out the "4th click" shift i was bricking it, given it looked like i was gonna be pushing the bike up some grades, and be late home... on spud sr's 1st day back in school. i wouldve been sleeping in the shed for a month!

Sounds like an internal issue with the bar shifter? 

Loose cable at the rear wouldn't shift at all with the strain it gets. 

Loosen the cable at rear and try the shifter with no strain on it

• 1 month later...

update....

i got a repy from the original retailer,

the warranty is non transferable so i would need to get the first owner to lodge the claim, send him the broken shifter to send to them and then recerse it for getting it back etc etc...

So I ordered a new sx shifter off decathlon today for €29 along with some light running beenies, and extra gloves. for a pretty cheap bit its worth the effort of gettin in touch with another lad at the otger end of the country and all the postage costs would outweigh the value of the part. 

at least then if the shifter sharts itself again, ill be going through decathlon myself, or.. upgrading to a shimano set up....

I think at that price the shifter is essentially disposable and replacement is the most sensible option.  I have taken shifters apart before now but unless you can actually buy spare parts then if something is broken or worn then you will have to replace anyway.

I've worked on a bit of SRAM stuff and their high end stuff is pretty good, but at the lower end the quality just isn't as good as comparable price/range Shimano. Use the SRAM until it dies but when you come to replace I would go Shimano. The new 6100 Deore takes some beating on both value and performance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, olduns said:

OT... LEJOG done and dusted or postponed? 

Postponed 😞 My dad died a few days beforehand, I still went and did the first day thinking it might help my state of mind but it didn't, it made it worse. Binned it off and came home to my family. I'm physically in the best shape I've been in since my early 20s (I'm late 40s now) but it turns out that you need to be in good mental health to cope with a ride like that too. First day was 110 miles and 11k feet climbing and that was no issue physically so I am aiming to keep that fitness up and hopefully have another crack.

• Sad 2

i am really sorry to hear about your father passing away Edwards 😔 i hope you can get through the grief stages. brisky is nice in the some what anonymity if you need to offload anything you just want to lash out into the ether.

on the shifter, yup, the plan is replace it as sram dont do parts for it going by a google search and long term if the derailleur starts acting the gowl the whole setup will be upgraded to a shimano set up.

When i get the new one on, ll strip the old one and post up photos of the internals so anyone else who has the same problem will know whats broked and that changing is the easiest option. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

new one arrived the other day, complete with cable, so just need to remove the old shifter snip the end ball off the old cable release it and pull it out, then thread the new one and attach the new shifter. 

pity i wont get time until probably next weekend at the earliest 🙄

• 2 weeks later...

just back in the house after swapping over to the new shifter. (yes, its late enough but such is life)

grip off, brake lever off, then snip the crimp and unlace the cable, then take off the shifter.

new shifter on and roughly tighten it up, thread the new cable through the sheaths to the end and get tension about right. brake lever back on and the grip back on the bar and no weird clicky shifts anymore but i need to twiddle the tension and index screw etc to get it settled in right. and adjust the angle of the shifter and brake lever again on a test ride. 

ill update hopefully in the next few days with the tear down of the old one, see whats what inside it.

• Like 1

tore it down just now...

no obvious damage to any of the (surprisingly numerous) components.

20211030_221942.thumb.jpg.0997da4e2856eeda90b43a525dcbf88a.jpg

20211030_222210.thumb.jpg.667aca2d36cd44f6dd6e86ccf161644d.jpg

20211030_222229.thumb.jpg.5a5a5aa41be5b4ca15c7ff6d420df229.jpg

20211030_222537.thumb.jpg.c573daf5240fa1a1ae5c95c1680a3eb5.jpg

this is the bit i figured was damaged, ut theres nothing obvious wrong with it.

20211030_222800.thumb.jpg.62c52d9e9f0db50b18ba204e32f5da36.jpg

everything laid out, and nothimg looks *******sed 🤷‍♂️

but, seeing how many bits there are inside and knowing its a €29.99 retail part... i get why sram dont do spares...