Have I broken the stereo?

So I was waiting for my daughter and started messing around with car scanner and tried to enable surround sound as I have read it improves things alot. Anyway, it didnt work saying that my blutooth dongle was not up to the job. I also enabled multimedia dev mode and then looked through that menu on the screen but changed nothing.

Turned everything off, picked up my daughter and now there is no volume at all. Turning the vol knob brings up the volume bar but does nothing. There is no 'sound' option in the settings now, it is greyed out. I have tried doing a factory reset but it changes nothing. Everything still seems to work, nav etc but there is no sound. 

What have I done? any ideas?

thanks guys 😞

Sounds like car scanner did manage to change something...

Might be worth trying to find a VCDS or ODBeleven user to take a look?

At a guess, you have an amp aka Canton? If so, it's not compatible with the surround/virtual sub coding so you should undo the change and restart the headunit by holding the power button for 10-15s :thumbup:

I used an android app called Car Scanner .  It has a coding section and under multimedia was an option to enable Skoda surround sound. I clicked enable, heard a click from all of the speakers individually but it said that the coding failed. The unit then looked like it rebooted and now I have no volume options, almost like it is stuck in mute. I have tried factory reset, and long hold on power button to restart the unit. Turning the vol knob does nothing, ie the volume bar appears but does not go up and down.

Does it have a “history” function? Or a function to allow a full scan report so we can see what all the settings are?

This is the problem with these single click changes these apps have. You’ve got no idea what is being changed in the background.

The headunits can be programmed to either use the internal amp or an external one. Pretty sure this applies to all MIB1/2/2.5 Bolero/Amundsen/Columbus headunits...

The external amp is normally marketed as Canton and gives you some extra speakers along with a sub in the boot.

Any chance car scanner can show the fault codes and current long coding for 5F?

thanks for the help so far guys. Car Scanner does have a coding history function and revert to default but that didnt work. I have used this as a good excuse to get obd11, will post up any fault codes and long coding for 5f so hopefully can undo my messing around.

@OldAndyMac the clue is in the top posting.  I suspect you haven't enabled up the Sound channel properly and have either accidently disabled sound or put it into a mode that is not supported when trying to enable Skoda Surround.  I did this recently (by accident).  Try setting the sound output to mode hex01 (internal_sound) and see if the sound comes back.

• Like 1

ok, ODB11 has turned up and here is the scan for 5f, hope someone can help me rectify whatever I did:

5F Multimedia

System description: MU-H-N-RW
    Software number: 5E0035045C
    Software version: 0371
    Hardware number: 5E0035045C
    Hardware version: H43
    Serial number: A314I0EB001216
    ODX name: EV_MUHig6C3HBAS
    ODX version: 001041
    Long coding: 03735108FF00000011510004001100002F0001C601000100F6

Subsystems:
        System description: ABT_High    
        Software version: 0030
        Hardware version: H60
        Serial number: SKZ8Z9PT6005BB     

System description: ROW 2014/2015
        Software version: 0033
        Hardware version: ---
        Serial number: --------------------

Trouble codes:
        U101400 - Control module incorrectly coded
            static
                Date: 2021-09-01 17:15:10
                Mileage: 115732 km
                Priority: 4
                Malfunction frequency counter: 1
                Unlearning counter: 65
                Dynamic environmental data: 02867E1017555515555555A9
        B200046 - Ctrl. module faulty
            Intermittent
                Date: 2018-01-30 13:46:01
                Mileage: 68551 km
                Priority: 3
                Malfunction frequency counter: 11
                Unlearning counter: 119
                Dynamic environmental data: 02867C

I'd try changing byte 11 from 04 to 01. At a guess, your headunit doesn't support this change.

The only similar car I could find online has an almost identical coding: https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/11943/

Can you also get a full scan from OBDeleven showing the rest of the cars modules too?

I'm not familiar with the OBDeleven UI but I think you need to access address 5F and hit coding or similar. You should then be able to find byte 11 and change it.

Carscanner will have set the value to 04 despite it's claim your dongle didn't work. If you haven't got a separate amp, it should be set to 01 :)

If 01 doesn't work, then it's likely you have an amp which is why a full scan is helpful. If you do have an amp, I'd try 02 instead :thumbup:

In OBD11 you click on "Multimedia" - it has 5F in the little white circle in the top right corner

Then Click on "Long Coding"

Scroll down to see and then click on "Byte_11_Sound_System"

Change this to "Sound_System_internal" from the list of options - this is the factory setting, second one down from the top. Maybe worth noting what it is set to when you get this far, sounds from above that it is incorrectly set to "reserved_text" 

Click and hold your finger down on the Green Circle with the check mark for a few seconds to apply the change.

Exit out of OBD11 and probably best to re-boot the multimedia system by holding down the volume button until it reboots itself.

Edited by lway
corrected typo

This is where you should get to.

In the screenshot I have selected "Sound_System_internal_individual" as I was enabling the Skoda Surround Sound on the missus 2019 FL Octavia.

The default factory setting is "Sound_System_internal"

I'm not connected to the car, that's why they are all greyed out for me and it says Not Connected down at the bottom :)

OBDeleven.jpg

Edited by lway

Legends! You guys were on the money, @lway really appreciate the step by step. Changed the setting from Sound_System_internal_individual to Sound_System_internal and we are back in business.

thanks to all that chipped in with advice.