Old people get road rage to!

The other w/e I was driving out of Southampton up to the M3 At Charlotte place rdbt, an old chap in a metro was in front of me and indicated right and went left. Fair enough, so I let him go and headed up the right lane (not overly fast or agressive) towards the avenue. He then starts driving into my lane (without indicating) and I'm obviously in his blind spot, so I toot my horn to let him know. He pulls back into the left lane, but then pulls in behind me and is right up my bum! I carry on up the avenue and pull into the left lane at the Park Gate traffic lights. He comes shooting up the right hand lane and pulls in in front of me making me do an emergency stop! He then gets out of his car and storms towards me! Needless to say I wanted to avoid getting my lovely car damaged by fists or feet (let along my girlfriend in the passenger seat) so i dive off to the left where you can turn left to go down past the land rover garage. I then go round the back of the garage and up towards the common trying to get back on to the avenue so I can get onto the M3 without having to drive roud the rest of southampton. Just coming up towards the avenue, when the old geezer in his rusty metro coming zooming down the middle of the road straight towards me :eek: (he'd figured what I was going to do and decided to cut me off! He obviously had it in for me), so I stopped and started reversing back while he was shouting at me and telling me to get out of my car! I carried on reversing until he came clear of a row of parked cars and I was able to nip round him and head off leaving him facing the wrong direction.

Lucky for us we escaped that (images of Kenneth Noye running round my head), and it left both of us a bit shaken and mistified as to why the guy should have taken such a dislike to me! I mean I really didn't do anything wrong and I wasn't even driving agressively. What suprised me most was the fact that he deliberately hunted us even after we left him at the traffic lights.

Just thought I'd get it off my chest and warm people in Southampton to watch out for an older chap with glasses who drives a rather rusty blue metro (didn't get the # plate though)

Traffic can make escaping from a nutter a right pain :( Some open road would have seen you well clear of a Metro - unless it was a 6R4 ?

It was just a plain old metro which probably does 0-60 down hill

You should have kicked his zimmer off him and left him lying in the middle of the road!!! :D

Should have thinking about it now, but then I've not been chased by an old fogey before!

I bet you nearly everyone of the people at the traffic lights were looking in their mirrors and thinking "Typical! bloody young people in their fast cars upsetting older folks! I hope he gets what he deserves!" :o not fair

Think I have had that same bloke start on me too.

Is a complete w*nker and did a similar trick to me only he thought he would pull across the front of my car from the wrong lane on thomas lewis way. I hit horn, he got out at next set of light and started shouting.

He isn't exactly a tall sod though, and I was sufficiently ****ed at the bloke that I ended up getting out of my car and offering to fix him and his **** heap of a car if he didn't give up and get his eyes tested.

Looking back on it (eg when i got where i was going) it wasn't the brightest of moves really. Not to mention the *******ing I got off SWMBO for not just ignoring the bloke.

I have a rough idea where he lives mind 'cause I have seen the car pull into one of the back roads around that area. I was very tempted to find the car, and then get the bill around to have a chat with him.

older drivers are sometime very nasty pieces of work. They seem to have a real issue with younger looking people (not young people).

I've not had one get out at me but I've had a few that have tried to cause an accident because I've warned them of me being there when they haven't seen me. I guess it's just a case of they have been made to look slightly foolish and they dont like it.

I guess it's just a case of they have been made to look slightly foolish and they dont like it.

I suspect it's more down to the horn (phnarr phnarr!) being interpreted as a sign of aggression rather than the "alert you of my presence" which it is meant to be used for.

He'd make an ideal candidate for some IAM/RoSPA training ;)

Chris

Rich (vrsfab) may remember the idiot OAP who nearly ran me off the road on the last C&F meet. He decided he wouldn't be overtaken so put his foot down. Unbelievable, some people think to be overtaken is a crime. :(