First problem after 2 days. USB C.

Routemaster1461

I'm trying to sort out my dashcam. It was in a 12V bulletin our old car, but as the 12V sockets in the Karoq do not switch off with the ignition, I wanted to use usb c. I didn't order the extra socket by the mirror so I got some adapters. The left socket, as I expected, switches off abouit a minute after switching the car off. Trouble is the camera goes into 'usb connecting' and looks like it will not record. So I thought, perhaps the second socket would just be a power supply, but it doesn't supply power to either the dashcam or to a phone. Looks like it isn't working. I really dont want to use the 12V as I'm bound to forget it and completely overwrite the memory card.

So however I connect the camera (my insurance company asked about whether I would be fitting one) it looks like a trip to the dealers to see if they can sort the socket.

7 minutes ago, soussi said:

So you want to use parking mode  but do not want an active socket? The usb by the mirror option turns off also. For an active after shutdown you can use the socket you mention or use an empty fusesocket ot piggyback from one?

Unfortunately I don't have the socket by the mirror.

I’d be asking about retrofitting the USB C by the mirror. Brand new car and having all those wires everywhere doesn’t sound right to me!

EDIT: didn’t read the comment about the mirror USB also turning off. What do the dealers do for the nextbase devices they offer then?

Edited by Seymansey

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2021 at 08:24, Seymansey said:

I’d be asking about retrofitting the USB C by the mirror. Brand new car and having all those wires everywhere doesn’t sound right to me!

EDIT: didn’t read the comment about the mirror USB also turning off. What do the dealers do for the nextbase devices they offer then?

The retrofit would cost an arm and a leg, by the time they've removed the existing housing, even if the wiring is already in there. 

I gather dealers use the Nextbase hard-wire kit if the car doesn't have the mirror usb, and charge accordingly.  TBH hardwiring is a fairly easy DIY job  - lots of posts on Briskoda, in this section and also the Octy 3's.  It's what most people seem to do.

(The Nextbase kit includes a voltage drop sensor so it will still record when the car's switched off, until the car battery tells it to stop.  But it can be connected to a non-permanent feed if one's not bothered about a "parked" mode.  In which case anyone prepared to do their own hard-wiring is likely to have enough wiring bits and bobs not to need spending £20 on the Nextbase kit. Piggyback fuses are available on fleabay for a couple of ££.)

Edited by FlyingGecko
Info on hardwiring kits

When I purchased our Karoq the garage offered to hard wire my front and rear Nextbase dash cams when they saw that I had them in our Fabia. This was offered after we had agreed a purchase price. They made a really tidy job of doing it.

I have just wired my Nextbase front and rear cameras in our new Karoq.

The hardest part was finding a hidden route from back to front.

My cam came with a little plastic lever tool, which helped in lifting up the headlining and other bits of trim to stuff the cable away.

I have to say that opening the glove box to get at the fuses was much easier than in previous Octavias and a Yeti.

One point to note is that my camera needed a 5v supply not 12, so after hardwiring I was confused as to why it didn’t work.

Thankfully it didn’t get fried, so after a quick bit of online auction site shopping for a suitable step down transformer all was well.

The guide here shows exactly how the wiring gets done, it’s not that difficult. Like everyone else I used fuse 47.

Edited by vegit8