Alternative engines for a Skoda felicia 1.6 petrol pickup

bwanaguy

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2000 Skoda 1.6 petrol pickup with the intention of doing it up. However I discovered that the engine had a hole in it so I am in need of a replacement engine. Unfortunately replacement Skoda engines are impossible to find.

I read somewhere that the Skoda 1.6 felicia pickup actually used a vw engine so was wondering if I could use a 1.6 petrol from a golf/polo of a similar age (which are more readily available). Is it just a straight swap? Are there other alternative engines I could use?

Thanks

Guy

11 hours ago, bwanaguy said:

I could use a 1.6 petrol from a golf/polo of a similar age

Pretty sure it's the same block and head, but make sure you keep all the Skoda auxiliaries until you're finished and have the new engine in the car and running.

The 1.6 is the AEE, the more common version is AEA, found in rusty MK4 polos, which is single point injection (the AEE is multipoint). The basic engine is the same though, all the injection system is on the inlet manifold.

Careful if you're buying one out of a golf, some have the same 1.6 as the polo, others have a taller block.

A few people have fitted the 1.4 16v polo engine.