Heater fan replacement + xenon kit

cage

The heater fan om my Fabia 1,9tdi 2008 stopped working and a replacement had to be done. The local Skoda workshop quoted me 800-1000 Euro for the work, change the fan and control unit.

No way.... So I ordered the parts from the web (130 Euro!) and changed it. BUT what a nightmare. Remove airbags (scary...!) and loose the dashboard. Very tight to reach the screws for the fan and control unit. But it all went well and it is up and running now again.

Now I will remove the front bumper for a xenon kit conversion in the H7 projector lights and also mount a LED ramp in the grill.

fia.jpg

But on projector lights it usually doesn't fail...   As they are completely different to reflector lights that are being referred to as halogen. 

Not sure what you mean "completely different"

it does not matter if it's projector or reflector, the Halogen part refers to what type of bulb the headlight was designed to work with.

The type of headlight refers to how the light is focused.

Well, the projector light works normally VERY well with xenon. Done it before on my Kia and Hyundai. Tried it on a VW Transporter with H4 reflector lights once. To much glaring and very bad concentration of the light beam. So therefor I´m hopeful with those H7 projector lights together with xenon.

Legal or not... This is kind of grey zone. In our annual check up of the car (MOT) they might turn it down and I need to change back to halogen. OR I do it before I go there and then no problem.....

On 13/11/2021 at 14:29, UrbanPanzer said:

Not sure what you mean "completely different"

it does not matter if it's projector or reflector, the Halogen part refers to what type of bulb the headlight was designed to work with.

The type of headlight refers to how the light is focused.

Correct.  The point im making is that HIDs dont work well in reflector lights made for a halogen bulb light source but generally work well in projector lights made for halogen bulbs.  And while the former will fail an MOT the latter generally dont (even if technically they should as the halogen light source has been replaced by a HID burner).

Edited by skomaz

• 2 weeks later...

So I removed the front bumper and both headlights. Installed the xenon-kit without any issues. Well.... The headlight on the right side had a different mount for the bulb vs the left side and didn´t attach perfect. I was worried it would affect the light image and have some glare, due to misalignment of the bulb.

I took a picture of the result. The left light gives a really good cut off line!! But I will need to align the right light a bit more to get it perfect. But the different was huge, both for dipped light and for the hi beam!

fia xenon.jpg

That looks like you either have the bulb installed incorrectly, or have fitted the wrong bulb.

I assume you got an H7 kit?

Although there is a sharp cut off, the pattern of light is wrong, and will not provide much useable light on the road.

When you look at a projector headlight output, either halogen or xenon, there should be a bright hotspot right at the top of the beam pattern, i.e. where it will shine furthest down the road.

The projector is designed to focus the light when it's coming from the filament on the H7 bulb. An H7 HID should have the light source in the same place as the filament. When you fit an H7 kit, the cut off and light pattern should be exactly the same as with a filament bulb, only more light.

If the bulb is installed wrong, the light source is in the wrong place for the optics, and it will be "out of focus" so to speak.

You will still get a sharp cut-off line regardless as there is a metal barrier in place in the projector physically blocking the light.

I cannot see much wrong with that "image" of light.........it looks like the pattern "should be" on each lamp, but I only see one sweep line (going up towards the verge)

What I cannot work out is where the left V right light starts and stops.

Below is what you "should" see...........red being the line of light and the black being the 0 vertical line

headlamp_LHD.jpg

The head light didn´t look the same at the mount/fixture. See the pic. The right bulb didn´t sit tight and therefore the light pattern was scrap. See the other pic. The light beam from the right head light pointed down and lit up the ground 10m inhead of the car. Another (used) head light has been purchased with the same mount for the bulb as the left one on my car. Will change the head light next week and move over the xenon bulb and hopefully have a better light pattern....

Overall the lights are already much better vs standard. Up here we have a lot of darkness in October- February so all the added lights are welcome!! (Sun is rising 8,30am and sets 3pm....)

Will add pitures when I´ve changed the right head light...

Inkedfia xenon lights_LI.jpg

Inkedfia xenon_LI.jpg