How To: The Middle Rear Headrest

AnnoyingPentium

Fabia Mk1 Middle Rear Headrest Fitting Guide

As the title says, this guide will "talk" you through how to fit the middle rear head restraint to your Fabia. This modification is ideal if you want to modernise your car or if you intend on carrying five people with safety in mind. Or, if you're like me, you saw that Lofty had one in his yellow vRS and you want in on the action. I also would like to thank @DieselMonte and @Lofty for their help in pulling all of this together. 

This guide may also work with Mk2 Fabia and Roomster models but I cannot confirm, see disclaimer. Also forgive the "snazzy font", it's my default on the program I used to write all of this up before posting.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if you eff this up or take your fingers off. Do this at your own risk. Take proper care working with the knife and other sharp utensils, or else we'll have to get the kid scissors out for you. ;)

Step One - Acquiring Parts and Tools:

Now, getting the headrest from a Fabia is like finding fangs in a rooster. The solution is to look to other VAG cars. As such, looking to the 9N Volkswagen Polo was my solution, since it shares the same platform as the Mk1 Fabia and the SEAT Ibiza. Mine was purchased from a car breakers on eBay and was wrangled from a 2008 9N Polo. You may choose to do the same, or you may seek one from a scrap-yard.

1306186543_s-l1600(20).thumb.jpg.90c1b80f4cc9359f77f0b1e49c9c41ea.jpg

As a point of note, the headrests that can be found on the left or right-hand-side of the rear seats are larger and using one of those for the middle may restrict your view of the road behind you. If you want to use one of these, then go ahead, but I don't recommend it for that reason.

The next part you need is the guides that the headrest slots into, and that slot into the seat. I purchased these as new-old-stock on eBay. The part numbers are
6Y0886920A and 6Y0886920You may have difficulty finding these parts, but they do fit as intended by OEM as far as I know.

For undertaking the job, you'll need a small Stanley blade or penknife.

Step Two - Checking The Parts Fit:

ALWAYS, and I repeat ALWAYS make sure that the guide tubes and the headrest posts fit properly, you can test these before fitting as the next step isn't something you can undo without requiring the services of a company like Seat Surgeons and a wad of cash.

Step Three - Preparation:

Like the first two steps, but important nevertheless. Go out to your car and check the rear seat back where the headrest goes to make sure you have the holes there for the guide tubes to go into. You'll be able to run a finger across the top of the fabric and feel the little notches where the tubes will go into.

20211109_151036.thumb.jpg.828ab22ed5c8ad4c1222fe862802d529.jpg

Step Four - Cutting Fabric:

From this point onwards, you are at a point of no return, think about your choices wisely!

Take your cutting utensil and make small guide holes in the fabric in the area where the guide tubes are going. You may then proceed to continue cutting enough fabric for the guide tubes to fit into the holes. You shouldn't need to cut too much. You should also be careful as not to damage other fabrics. So if you can, take the seat back out, bring it forwards or whatever.

Step Five - Fitting Parts:

First of all, there's no point in having a cart without a horse, so get the guide tubes in first.

20211122_102248.thumb.jpg.e722b386cf9c377324c7d1bf9b759b41.jpg

Secondly, fit your headrest. It should click in nicely and securely. As an example, here is mine once completed.

20211125_124606.thumb.jpg.65f74f3f9842f3e8f5fe7dfce0259db8.jpg

20211125_124727.thumb.jpg.c6add66c8dbdbe55a98a445faa0191de.jpg

Step Six - Admire Yer Handiwork:

Good lad (or lady lad), you've gotten this far without stabbing yourself or spontaneously combusting. Now take a step back and admire your handiwork. Finally, put all your tools away and go back into the house, get a cuppa and put your feet up for a job well done.

Job's a good 'un. :) :thumbup:

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
Formatting and spacing.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TMB said:

Well done, Ryan :) Looks nice 👍

Thanks Lee! :)

The cloth fabric is ever so slightly lighter, but I think it is just dirty actually. I'll clean it and report back. :)

• Like 1

Have you ever or will you ever carried 3 people in the back of the car?

I remove all mine for visibility and I think that it looks much better without any of them, its certainly a lot safer (as long as I don't carry passengers) also tipping the seat back forward and flipping the rear seats no longer needs the front seats moving forwards.

• Like 1

Just now, J.R. said:

Have you ever or will you ever carried 3 people in the back of the car?

Yes and yes.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I remove all mine for visibility and I think that it looks much better without any of them, its certainly a lot safer (as long as I don't carry passengers) also tipping the seat back forward and flipping the rear seats no longer needs the front seats moving forwards.

I find that the middle one doesn't actually interfere with my view behind due to the way it sits.

I've had the seats folded flat for doing trips to the tip but I found it was very odd without having the seats there when driving along. :D

I carry passengers quite often and I like to keep their safety in mind. :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

For those with a Mk1 vRS who are looking for a middle headrest, and are hoping to find one from another VAG car with vRS material, then I wish you all the luck in the world.

Solution :D

On 25/11/2021 at 13:03, AnnoyingPentium said:

the services of a company like Seat Surgeons and a wad of cash.

• Haha 1