Sourcing a thermostat in the UK!?

Hi All.

Is there anywhere in the UK that sells such a simple item as a coolant thermostat for my 2012 1.6TDI (1Z5 engined) Octavia2?

Only place i can find one is through Autodoc, which incurs postage of the same amount as the item!....or E-Bay, which are still delivered from mainland Europe.

I suppose VAG would sell them...but are they going to be the same price as the EU sourced item...or more?

I'm not sure which engine I've got Matt,how do I check this?

Do I need the housing too?was hoping that just the 'stat could be replaced. On a bit of a shoestring budget what with having to have rear brakes replaced after having taken my car back for a slipping clutch which was under warranty (long story😜)

There seems to be a fitment change ~2010 so be careful when ordering.  I'm unfamiliar with your engine and just searched with the information to hand, you'll know best.

Hi. There appear to be two different thermostats and they are built into housings for that engine code.  It seems they changed on 17/05/2010 so your car is the later versions with the multi branch outlets.

This one:  https://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5055

rather than: https://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5054

See here for the date change: https://www.vwspares.co.uk/Skoda_Octavia_1Z_Facelift_Cooling.php?model=1.6 TDi

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help on this guys.

I've now got the part and had a quick look under the bonnet and it looks like all of the turbo pipe has to be removed, is this easy? are there any resources showing how to do this please?

7 minutes ago, MicMac said:

YouTube.

Had a look but cant get the right model etc.

Any tips for a technophobe on searching as its so annoying when you type in 'Octavia2 TDI thermostat replacement' and it brings back 'Golf alternator swapout'...etc.

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

I've now got the parts for the swapout.  I've managed to get the throttle body off but to get access to the stat housing i believe you have to remove the lower part of the dipstick tube (it certainly looks like it would help access). 

Anybody got any tips on how to remove the tube?

I've read on one thread that they can break due to them being a bit brittle with all the heat fluctuations they go through.

The thread also said 'give it a good yank'....dont want to start yanking anything if its going to leave me with broken bits.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/12/2021 at 16:14, MicMac said:

Hi MicMac.

The video is great but unfortunately the guy misses out a critical part....removing the bottom bolt that hold the stat onto the engine block.

Its a PITA to get to!!

He skips this bit and the next clip is the butchered part on the bench.

Not sure how you can re-install it if you have to butcher the old part.

Anybody any ideas? i've taken the day off work to try and get it sorted and got it in bits....this bit has got me foxed 😞

I'm not familiar with your engine so I can't say how the bolts are accessed, bear in mind the average bag of spanners won't do many of the jobs on a car these days with special tools being required or getting creative with what you have to hand.

Perhaps searching further on the tube will show you how it's done.

If you're not good with computers enter the engine code and/or 1.6 CR thermostat and see what you find, you will likely have to refine and modify the search string and don't dismiss other makes/models from the VAG range, the Octy often gets missed out for Golfs etc.

i've got a decent socket set and bought a good set of wobble extension bars in all drive sizes.  I also bought a hose circlip clamp/pliers. 

I think manufacturers are designing cars to require special tools to deter DIY's....suppose its a matter of economics.

I'm going to take it to a garage as i dont want to spend any more time, money on special tools (which i might never use again) and dont really have the facilities ( a rainy driveway isnt a pleasant place to work)  to carry out the work in any case.

I hate to say it....but i have to admit that i've been beaten 😞

Cheers for all your help guys but the credit card is once again gonna have to take a hiding.