Wireless/inductive charging of iPhone 8 : Should it work?

Gdcobra

Hi all

Hoping someone can help with this.  I've just been loaned a Kodiaq while my Superb is "being looked at", this car has wireless CarPlay and and an inductive charging pad (mine has wired CarPlay so not much point in wireless chaging) however when I place my phone on this pad it does not pick up any charge.  My iPhone 8 does work with wireless charging from other chargers I have at home.

Is there somehow different standards of charging which my (painfully old fashioned) phone is not compatible with or do I need to turn this on somehow?

All help gratefully appreciated.

Edited by Gdcobra

Try moving it around a bit on the mat - I find my 11 Pro charges when the bottom is sat against the nearest edge, but if it slides forward (which it often does) and the top ends up against the far edge, it's then hit and miss as to whether it continues to charge or I get a 'cannot charge' message on the infotainment.

I can imagine a smaller iPhone 8 is going to be even more hit and miss...

Thanks Yogi

I just don't seem to be getting any "hit" at the moment.  From your description though it seems there is nothing to "turn on" it's a case of it either works or it doesn't.  Based on all the gripes have with my own car I shouldn't be too surprised that Skoda haven't done a good job with this 'feature'!

2 hours ago, Routemaster1461 said:

It works fine in our Karoq and my daughter's iPhone 11. You do not need to switch it on. but you may get a message saying something like 'remove object from charger plate'.

Thanks for the information, possibly my older phone doesn’t support the type of charger in the car, don’t know much about this capability but seems odd not to have only one standard but that doesn’t mean it’s not the case.

1 hour ago, Gdcobra said:

possibly my older phone doesn’t support the type of charger in the car, don’t know much about this capability but seems odd not to have only one standard but that doesn’t mean it’s not the case.

All the iPhones since the iPhone 8 support wireless charging using the Qi standard... which is what the charger in the Kodiaq uses as well.

Now I think about it, however... there was an option to turn the wireless charging on or off in my old Kodiaq - but I don't think there is in the new one (I haven't really looked). How old/new is the loan car you have? Is it a facelift version or 'old' style?

8 hours ago, Yogi-Bear said:

All the iPhones since the iPhone 8 support wireless charging using the Qi standard... which is what the charger in the Kodiaq uses as well.

Now I think about it, however... there was an option to turn the wireless charging on or off in my old Kodiaq - but I don't think there is in the new one (I haven't really looked). How old/new is the loan car you have? Is it a facelift version or 'old' style?

It's a new car so I'm assuming the latest version.  I only have it for a week so I'm sure I'll get by, unfortuantely I only have the regular USB cable and this car only has the new standard (USB 3?) so I can't power it from that either.  Would have been a good idea to have had one of each standard rather than 2 of the new but I guess it's my fault for being lost in the past with all my old fashioned kit.

MY20 user manual makes no mention of having to enable wireless charging, and I don't recall having to.

Agree with other comments, positioning is key. Make sure the phone is fully flat on the surface, top of the phone away from you, base of the phone pulled back to the front of the phonebox as far as possible.

Does your phone have a case? If so try removing it.

USB A->C adapters pretty cheap on Amazon if you're desperate. I have these and they work fine - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XYTHCXV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 hours ago, SimonB68 said:

MY20 user manual makes no mention of having to enable wireless charging, and I don't recall having to.

Agree with other comments, positioning is key. Make sure the phone is fully flat on the surface, top of the phone away from you, base of the phone pulled back to the front of the phonebox as far as possible.

Does your phone have a case? If so try removing it.

USB A->C adapters pretty cheap on Amazon if you're desperate. I have these and they work fine - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XYTHCXV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers Simon

I did try moving the phone around yesterday and also took the case off but nothing seemed to work.  I had an Enyaq a couple of weeks ago and that didn't work either, it's strange as my phone does work on an inductive charger I have at home.

I don't think it's a major problem, I can work around it for a week but I agree that I should get hold of some of the USB A-> C converters.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd close the loop on this.  I have eventually found a solution.

As I was only supposed to have this car for a week I didn't bother too much at first but when it became evident I'd have it for at least 3 I started thinking about it again.

Thinking about it on the way home from work a few nights ago I was thinking that I know the phone is OK with inductive charging becase it works with a little charging pad I have at home.

Unfortunately I can't test it on this as it broke down a month or two back.

Then I started thinking straight!

Did the charging pad break down or is the problem with the phone?

Re-booted the phone and dropped it onto the pad and as if by magic it now charges.

OK, I know you are supposed to re-boot your phone every so often and obviously I haven't for many weeks/months but time sometimes gets the better of you.  As does straight thinking apparently.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Question not specific to Kodiaq :)

I got my Kamiq recently but haven't been able to wirelessly charge my Android 12 phone. Do I need to connect it to the Infotainment System using Android Auto to make it work?