I stuck with the Octavia VRS MK3

ChristianPR

Was tempted to get a new car when pcp ran out but only wanted more power, so I eventually decided on revo stage three, I’m glad I did because it’s crazy fast and faster than anything else I was looking at.

Making this post to show what I’ve done and what I plan to do.

Engine revo three, went with carbon

19BFB2A1-8A13-44FE-B0CE-C893EB4FA83E.thumb.jpeg.f192b4e8775ef317c380e0acc8b74893.jpeg

Has revo performance pack, hi flow scorpion cat, is38 turbo, new intercooler, stage three remap for engine and dsg software. I didn’t upgrade the exhaust, I want to keep the car as quite as I can.

Then I wanted to add some subtle upgrades, as I don’t want it to be obvious this car is fast 😄

maxton design front splitter, was easy to install, just used 10 self tapping screws

6DC607E7-4A29-4630-96B2-952F7F1BB7DD.thumb.jpeg.3c9180e65a52ec347ede8f5afab1ba7f.jpeg
black grill, had silver before and hated it. Destroyed the old one trying to get it out, but was easy when I gave up trying the save the old one.

C3568F35-7194-48B0-AD43-016F690D48CD.thumb.jpeg.26cc6765aab1f34e500a3ee497b2f9c5.jpeg

diffuser, took me way too long to get this in, need a better picture of it. The screws it came with were too big for the middle so had to make some work arounds. Also added extra screws to the sides otherwise it wasn’t a good fit.

62096A82-3447-4F62-A394-0137AA274C14.thumb.jpeg.a9dcc2e045b126d046e18e4b4d3f56b6.jpeg

Adding both of these have made my test runs 0.2 seconds quicker on average, so I think it was worth it.

next on my list:

I have a rear reflector I’m waiting for.

black badges.

removing all the Vindis stickers.

Just brought some led interior lights

retrofit heated seats.

add reverse camera.

find a way to get satnav into the radio.

find a dyno, to see what my power is.

slick tyres and light weight alloys for Santa pod next year.

Anything else you guys think I should do?

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Went to Santa pod today after having engine issues, turned out to be miss firing ignition coil. But we managed to find one.

didn’t expect to pull a sub 5 second 0-60 in FWD and I was aiming for 12.9 and hit 12.8 twice, so overall was really good. Need to get some slicks next to get the power down better.

posted draggy time and slip time, draggy is pretty close.

B57B342B-34E4-4DB0-869C-66F4CF7AE16B.png

9B7250FF-999D-461D-B551-826F3D84191D.png

B0271F21-5FC3-4B43-B9A6-D1781CCE4B73.png

Looks great, this is very much what I am looking to do on my 5e VRS too.

How much of a difference did the Stage 3 make?

Did you do the Turbo muffler delete, and other hardware?

Have you gone for the SPS (Serial Port Switch)?

Thanks

• Like 1

At the moment only the mods I listed above, although planning on putting in a dogbone mount soon to help put the power down. I went from standard to stage three. Before I was getting 6.7 0-60 now get 4.7, 14.6 1/4 mile now 12.8 (but I struggle with getting the power to the road atm haha) and 30-100 used to take 12.9 and now takes 7.4 so huge difference top end. I love it, would definitely say it was worth it. Once I’m over 40 miles an hour, not a lot about there that can beat it.

I don’t have the SPS, but plan too soon.

Most my work was done at Quattro tech st ives.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Noms said:

Thanks for the replies. And one more thing: did it make much of a difference to your insurance premium?

My old insurance wouldn’t cover me, so ended up shopping around for somewhere that did. Saved £200, pay about £400 with all mods.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

TBH, I used to be insured with Adrian Flux on another car quite a few years ago.

The car caught fire, and they ended up paying out fully, somewhere in the region of £9k

• 2 weeks later...

Hard some real problems with the car in that last couple of months. Piston 4 ignition went two months ago, was quick easy fix. Then every light came on after 2 garages found out the cam position sensor went, so got it replaced. Drove it home that day and white smoke came out the exhaust, pulled over and oil was all over the engine bay. Took it back to the garage they replaced some seals to find out piston 4 now has no compression.

so looks like I need a new engine.

Very sorry to hear of this. What mileage has the engine covered?

I've heard the EA888 G3 should be good up to 200k with regular oil changes etc

Do you think the Stage 3 had anything to do with it, extra pressure on the engine?

• Like 1

Engine was 49,000. Not really that sure what caused it but there are lots of cars with similar mods as mine on the same engine not running into issues. But not sure if something else caused the problem making it likely to happen again. Waiting on quotes for engine replace at the moment, will keep EA888G3 in mind. Thank you

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Took a little while but the car is back on the road and loving it. I ended up getting a second hand mk7 golf engine. Added full engine mount kit, feels better to drive, getting same times on draggy and the acceleration feels harder, win win win for me. 👍

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, john_20v said:

whats your 100-200 draggy?

Not sure, I have a 7.9 60-120mph in custom mode on the old engine. But I have draggy set in mph, doesn’t look like I’ve done a run over 124 mph with the draggy on. If I get one I can post it here, but I imagine perfect run it would probs be about 7.9 as that 7.9 was on a slow 60-100 run (4.7 rather than 4.5) 

On 21/05/2022 at 12:15, Noms said:

Mk7 Golf GTi engine? 

Yep, speed is the same but the engine sounds more angry to me haha.