Turning off Daylight Driving Lights

cdady

I have fitted aftermarket DRLs to my 2014 Roomster, buying a set from ebay and running a wire through the bulkhead picking up the power from a spare slot in the fuse box.  I have run another wire to the front sidelight to activate the switching off function when the side / head lights are switched on I think you should.  

With the ignition on the DRLs come on, and when the side/headlights are switched on they go off as they should.  

However, when the engine is running the DRLs stay on regardless of side / head lights being on.

Can anyone make suggestions to help me overcome this issue please?

Many Thanks 

Now it has got darker I can see that the set I purchased dims to DRL when the lights are switched on and the engine is running, so they are legal.  How the DRL activation unit knows when the engine is running I do not know!  However, I think all is well.

Fitting was simple once I discovered the plug that covers the hole where the clutch would be in a manual car - mine is a DSG.  It may be harder to find a way through the bulkhead with a wire if you have a clutch pedal.  The power wire I took through the bulkhead and then attached to unused fuse position  1 using a piggy back micro blade fuse connector - this simply plugs into the front of the fuse box and still fits under the cover.  I had to extend the power wire a couple of feet, and simply brought it to the fuse box via the empty space where the DRL switch would have been if they had been factory fitted.

The earth wire I fixed to a bolt screwed into the otherwise unused threaded hole by in the wheel arch near the washer bottle.  The wire (white in my kit) I pushed through a small hole I made in the rubber cover where you get to the sidelight bulb, and spliced it into the earth wire from the sidelight bulb holder so power flowed when the sidelight is switched on.  The light units themselves I fixed to holes drilled into the covers for where the fog lights would have been if they had been fitted - photo attached.  Apart from the two feet of wire and micro blade fuse which I had, I purchased a piggy back micro blade fuse holder from ebay for £3.49 for two, and the actual lights with wiring came from the car tuning shop on ebay 'DRL HQ AUTOLIGHTING CREE EXTRA BRIGHT LIGHTS AUTOSWITCH E4 RL00 V10 D' costing £34.45 - they looked better than the £10 ones available but may not be!  

IMG_8718.jpg

Sorry I was not clear - yes I want the DRLs on, but wired them so I expected they would switch off when I put the headlights on, which I had understood was the legal requirement.  However, it turns out my kit just dims the DRLs when the engine is running and the headlights are switched on - apparently this is OK.  

However, if the engine is not running but the igniition is on (so the DRLs are on), they go off completely if I put the headlights on - I do not understand why there should be any difference between ignition on engine not running, and ignition on engine running - so a puzzle but I am sure someone more knowledgeable can explain!