power steering noise - few weeks old

chatlow

Hi everyone - owned the Karoq 1.5 for just under a month now. My partner uses it mainly and today she noticed noise when parking. Turns out there's a bit of noise when on full lock. Suppose it's a low grinding/motor noise. I've had this before on other cars, which were older. Expected on a brand new car or worth talking to the dealer?

thanks.

The only noise I've noticed on mine on full lock, I've put down to the wide tyres scrubbing slightly when I reverse of my paved drive. Could it be that? Perhaps you could stand by the front of the car while she manoeuvres and determine if it's coming from the tyres, the power assisted steering, or even the universal drives?

Chris 

thanks - just re-tested and it's coming from the drivers side wheel. doesn't sound like a pump or belt, more of a grinding/clicking and the tyre isnt rubbing on anything. I tested it back and forth on the drive half a dozen times and then I received a warning on the dash saying "front assist unavailable sensor impaired"!

Edited by chatlow

The front assist warning can indicate the windscreen in front of the camera under the rear-view mirror is dirty. Or it could be a software fault where the camera hasn't turned on properly. I had the latter problem about 5 times over a period of a year, but usually accompanied with warnings about lane assist not being available and dynamic road signs not being available as well. This is a known fault which is said to cured by replacing a controller in the steering wheel. (Mine was changed a couple of weeks ago, but it was such an intermittent problem that I can't be sure it has been cured yet.)

Chris

Edit: having checked my records, my warning messages said a permutation of the Traffic Assist, Lane Assist and Dynamic Road Signs not available, not the Front Assist, but these systems all require the front assist to be available so my post still seems appropriate.

Edited by CJJE

26 minutes ago, chatlow said:

cheers, could well be dirty or perhaps the fog causing the alert. Will go for a drive now and see if it clears. as for the noise, I may need to call the dealer

See my edited post above. Depending on which of the assist systems which use the front assist you have fitted to your car, you may get different warning messages if you have an intermittent fault in the controller. 

I'd log them and see how often they re-occur. I didn't report them to my dealer until my first service as the warning messages cleared while I was driving or on my next journey. But when I did report it, they ordered a new steering wheel straight away and told me that Skoda UK were aware of the problem and that this should clear the fault.

Chris 

PS: I've found the Lane Assist very effective even in quite thick fog in my previous Golf, so would hope the Karoqs isn't being upset by a bit of fog :)

Edited by CJJE

I get the front assist warning message every time I drive down a long narrow farm track with high brambles both sides, oddly it only ever does it on the way out never on the way in. As it resets itself once back on the proper roads and never occurs anywhere else I suspect it is some sort of sensory overload rather than a fault.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had it looked at by the dealer. They confirmed the noise was coming from the drive shaft cv boot. They said it could be due to cold weather and wasn't a defect. They've added some special grease for it. Louder from the right cv boot than the left. The warning for front assist hasn't come up since it did a few weeks ago, so think all is good

Edited by chatlow