Strangest traffic light GP

Earlier on this evening I came to a pedestrian crossing with the lights on red.

In the left lane was a queue of 3 cars with a furby at the front and no cars in the right lane.

It goes back to one lane 50 yards on so I pulled up on the right noting that it was a 1.4mpi with a bloke in his 70s at the wheel.

The lights changed and I pulled off gently expecting to go past him easily but to my great surprise he absolutely floored it the millisecond the lights changed and sped off with a bit of wheelspin..

Of course it didn't stop me passing him with ease staying in the 40mph limit , but it's not what I expected at all from an elderly gent in a sensible car.

I'm normally pretty good at judging how fast cars and drivers will set off but got it wrong this time

Had that with a red polo driven by a fine young fillie this evening. Car was going well for a 1.0. :thumbup: And once I'd got up to "near" the 40 limit she came past me again doing 60+..... I let her go after a :D to myself.

Had a similar thing last week, with a guy that looked about 80 behind the wheel of a Focus saloon (2.0 Ghia Auto as I later found out). Came upto a set of lights on a dual carriageway (40) just as they changed, so went through in the outside lane, overtaking this Focus in the process. The road then goes down to a 30 and one lane. Bloke was welded to my bumper. So speeded up a little, to see what happened. He accelerated as well to stay on my tailgate. We come to a set of lights, where the road opens to two lanes again. He then pulls up next to me. And proceeds to floor the thing up the hill. I played a little then let him go, I was too busy :rofl: to myself.

Sorry, turned into a bit of an essay that. The moral from this and Dr Z's story: never underestimate the OAPs! :D

Steve

Nope, don't mess with the over 60's - my Dad (63) drives round in a Touran 2.0TDI, K&N filter and remapped to 185bhp... goes bloody well and takes more than a few people by suprise.

I read this thread yesterday, laughed about it and what happens today? I get the same thing done to me by a very old guy in a Lexus, with his equally old missus sat next him :( But I didn't get past him!!!

It was the 4.3 V8 LS though :rofl: Still totally unexpected

Some cars you expect it to happen with and others you don't.

No offence to 1.4mpi drivers but it isn't really a sporty car and I didn't expect it to be driven like one especially by an old guy

Nope, don't mess with the over 60's - my Dad (63) drives round in a Touran 2.0TDI, K&N filter and remapped to 185bhp... goes bloody well and takes more than a few people by suprise.

Good on him, the Touran remapped must make for quite a potent sleeper machine :thumbup: Do they handle that well - considering it looks a bit like a van?

Steve

Some cars you expect it to happen with and others you don't.

No offence to 1.4mpi drivers but it isn't really a sporty car and I didn't expect it to be driven like one especially by an old guy

:iagree:

Same with my Schumacher imitating old person in his OAP spec Focus (I mean, really, who in their right mind would buy a Focus saloon?? :rofl:)

Steve

:iagree:

Same with my Schumacher imitating old person in his OAP spec Focus (I mean' date=' really, who in their right mind would buy a Focus saloon?? :rofl:)

Steve[/quote']

pretty much a mondeo really??? who the hell would buy one of them??:rofl:

(ScoobyChris this is your intro) (i am messing just in case the dummy falls)

Good on him' date=' the Touran remapped must make for quite a potent sleeper machine :thumbup: Do they handle that well - considering it looks a bit like a van?

Steve[/quote']

It goes round corners very well I must admit - better than a standard Fabia VRS does !

Certainly is a potent sleeper many a exec saloon has been left in a cloud of soot, down side is he had to have the lb/ft reduced on his remap as it has DSG.

It dosen't look "a bit" like a van - IT IS A VAN !!!!

Dont mess with the old folks ... some years ago , I was a memberof a local motor club, which had a shambling old guy as a member , drove an Austin Maxi ... slowly .

Then someone told me he was a rally driver and we all laughed .. he went off to do the Manx National Rally - he retired with mechanical failure whilst lying 8th overall .... he was quick when he wanted to be , as can most of us old gits ;)

My driving instructor was telling me thatin the motor club he was in, they had an elderly lady who regualy attended, for her 70th birthday she decided she wanted to treat herself to a new car, so she went and bought a brand new impreza P1!!!

This was then used most weekends by her to go marshalling in. He was also telling me a couple of weeks after the purchase that she came to the time contol at the end of the stage at the end of the day, caked in mud with most of the front bumper and splitter in the back of the car from where she had been ditch hooking with it.

What a cool gran she would be!!!