Mystery object

thebrighton

I replaced the blower resistor yesterday https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/500487-blower-resistor/ and today found the object below in the passenger footwell. No idea what it is as it wasn't something I removed, did it fall off something or just hitched a lift in the car? It's hollow, made of rubber and 21mm tall.

IMG_20220113_094742093_2.thumb.jpg.8d21241321c0b63359d2a294a135bdb8.jpg

Answers on a post card ;)

Where I've seen them used before is to go over the bolt (or equivalent sticky-out thing) at the back of the radio, such that it can locate into (typically) a metal bracket affixed to the car.

It allows the back of the radio to be supported when it's pushed in without the need for the installer to get their fingers round the back to do anything up

Capture.JPG.ea6493c9e3b2ade8f94f9787783693cf.JPG

It does look similar but I didn't go anywhere near the stereo and being a Swing one it's part of the dash. I've been looking through the parts catalogue and can't find anything like it, the mystery remains :)

Have you had the car from new?

If not, is it possible that a previous owner had a different radio in there? It's not unusual for these to dislodge when the radio is taken out and if so it would fall behind the dash and down into the footwell. If it was lose behind the dash it would most likely end up in the footwell if the lower dash was disturbed, perhaps when gaining access to the heater blower resistor 

It's not entirely uncommon to find small parts that were left behind when a car was assembled. Some only emerge a long time later.

I found a small plastic bracket recently under the passenger seat my car (new in 2019) - turns out, from the part number, it's a cover for the lock in the tailgate (which has the exact same part fitted OK).

Don't worry about it.

On 19/01/2022 at 11:01, freemansteve said:

It's not entirely uncommon to find small parts that were left behind when a car was assembled. Some only emerge a long time later.

I found a small plastic bracket recently under the passenger seat my car (new in 2019) - turns out, from the part number, it's a cover for the lock in the tailgate (which has the exact same part fitted OK).

Don't worry about it.

Best one of those I've come across was a nearly-new Citroen in the 1980's where the heater fan stopped blowing. Having removed the fan, the dealer discovered a grubby ceramic mug that had clearly fallen in the top of the heater ducting at the factory and after a while had wedged the fan so it stopped.

Hopefully the production line staff can take their breaks away from the cars now 🙂