Strange buzzing sound after acceleration

A very-weird issue with my 19-plate Superb:

After hard acceleration, upon decceleration there's a buzzing noise from the front RHS of the vehicle. It used to only happen in sports mode, so i thought it might be suspension related (as i have DCC). However, now it also happens in normal mode, albeit only when i accelerate quite hard. The mechanic from a local Skoda dealer took the car for a test and confirmed the issue; however, he said he thinks it's not engine/suspension related and, therefore, not covered by Skoda warranty. Is he correct in saying only engine issues are covered?

The mechanic thinks it's something in the door, but it would cost a lot to investigate that! Given it only happens when taking my foot off the gas after hard acceleration, however, does a door issue even make sense? It doesn't to me. 

board search ->

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/search/?q=rattles orchestra&type=forums_topic&nodes=299

On 05/09/2021 at 09:00, MartiniB said:

possible members of orchestra:

DSG6 gearbox - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abPGeEu9iWE

shock absorbers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS7UyS6cbyY
rear bushes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFNwa8p4ocw
engine's fan high spin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PTthyikQL8
fuel pipes under car

speaker under dashboard

Best talk with the Dealer Principal at the dealership and maybe ask them to drive the car and ask to drive their daily drive perk / demonstrator.

The Manufacturers Warranty does not just cover drive train.

If there was a Mechanic at a Skoda UK dealership then that is amazing, they must be doing an exchange scheme.  

Bast read the T&C's and the exclusions. 

SKODA_Warranty_Terms_November_2021.pdf

Edited by roottoot
  • Thanks 1

@roottootThe lead mechanic at the dealership did take the car for a road test and confirmed the fault. The lady from the service department told me he told her "that noise would drive me crazy"; however, as he didn't think it was engine related, it would not be covered by Skoda warranty. She even tried to charge me for their work. I refused of course.

I called Skoda UK today. They advised me to contact another dealership as it should be covered under warranty and the dealer shouldn't charge for looking at it. so i then called another dealership and got put through to the lead mechanic. He said they would be happy to investigate and would not charge for diagnostic work providing the fault is fairly easy to replicate (which it is). He also confirmed the warranty would cover it even if it's not engine/suspension related. So i have booked the car in with them. I really cannot believe the cheek of the other dealership.

Edited by Aciduzzo
  • Thanks 1

I had exactly the same issue. It's your fuel lines vibrating against the body of the car. It's really common across a lot of VAG stuff. In my car it does it more when it's hot outside and would only do it once the car is warmed up. 

It only occurred between 2k and 3k RPM and only when lifting off the accelerator. 

My Skoda dealer refused to fix it under warranty even though they agreed with my diagnosis. They claimed it was a part which required adjustment, and nothing had failed so therefore it wasn't covered. 

However this 'adjustment' would cost over 400 to fix as they said they had to remove the fuel tank to fix it. My car is a 4x4 model so I don't know if that increases the cost. 

I complained to Skoda UK and although I didn't get any reply, whilst my car was with her dealer they suddenly said they'd fixed the fault at no cost, but without doing anything to fuel tank. 

There's plenty of videos on YouTube of people packing the fuel lines with padding to stop it. 

A few months later and the fault started to reappear but much quieter and coming from the boot floor area. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle from last time so I left it. The sound has stopped since the weather has cooled down. 

• Like 1

@Gez280thanks a lot for that info...i hadn't noticed if it was rev connected, but i will check next time i am out. Interestingly, on a short drive to the supermarket and back today, i didn't hear the noise at all. But it has been very cold lately and it's certainly more common once the car has warmed up. I too have a 4x4. Did you notice it happening more readily in sport mode?

It just seemed to do it all the time once it started or got warm enough. 

It's funny that it only started after I gave the car it's first proper spirited drive on a summer evening in Sport mode. But after that it didn't matter what mode it was in. 

• 4 weeks later...

@Gez280Just an update to say thanks again - u hit the nail on the head ! Took the car to a different dealership and suggested it could be this issue. They liaised with SKODA UK technical and came up with a fix. Unfortunately, it took them two goes to get it right. On the drive home after the initial fix, i noticed the vibrations at 1900 RPM (instead of 2600 RPM), so i had to take it back again! Anyway, goes to show how different the service level is between dealerships!

3 hours ago, Aciduzzo said:

@Gez280Just an update to say thanks again - u hit the nail on the head ! Took the car to a different dealership and suggested it could be this issue. They liaised with SKODA UK technical and came up with a fix. Unfortunately, it took them two goes to get it right. On the drive home after the initial fix, i noticed the vibrations at 1900 RPM (instead of 2600 RPM), so i had to take it back again! Anyway, goes to show how different the service level is between dealerships!

So who were the two dealers involved?

1 hour ago, GarySN said:

So who were the two dealers involved?

Wills Motor Company SKODA (boo) and Citygate SKODA Watford (yay)

2 hours ago, Gez280 said:

That's great, glad they fixed it, and under warranty too? 

Yep, under warranty!

• Like 1