Drivers door barrel

Back to the door barrel unlocking. My 2013 Roomster then my 67 reg. Fabia SE estate had the slotted access on the driver's side (RHS). My new Fabia SE estate has it on the left! Could well be a problem as I have to park close to a tall wall.

Cost cutting as pointed out and despite the same SE designation this car has no 12V socket in the boot area and also seems to have a different radio which although DAB, does not receive any text on DAB despite enabling radio text in the settings!

Every DAB radio I've possessed seems to be able to get this so why not this one?

Simply not so clever really!

I'd think that if this annoyed you enough, you could order in a matching lock barrel for the RHS front door then remove the existing cover, cut a slot on its lower surface so that it could be "flicked" off with a key blade, then remove the dummy lock barrel - or lock blank, which ever you want to call it, and fit the new matching key lock lock barrel in its place, I think that there is probably a small pin and washer that needs removed as well before fitting the barrel in, just remember not to completely remove the barrel securing screw from the door rear face area as it will probably drop down inside the door before it unscrews out beyond the "flush" point in the outer door skin - when that happens the easy way round it is said to be to buy a new screw.

Years ago I bought 3 lock barrel blanks and new covers so that I could remove BOTH from my 2000 VW Passat 4Motion and the driver's side one from my wife's 2002 VW Polo - but never got round to doing that "upgrade" - I think that was a smarter move than going with the flow and removing all side door lock barrels, though in 13 years neither car ever suffered from remote central locking failure or car battery failure.

Thanks for that. Given my ineptitude and age I think I will trust to luck and put up with it! Like you I have not had any failures (touch wood) yet with the battery/key fob and perhaps try to remember to park a couple of inches or so more away from the wall.

Off topic I know but any ideas re. the DAB radio info. by the way?

To prevent all sorts of problems you want to make sure your car battery never gets to a low state of charge as even if the car starts and the lights seem bright enough the charge could be too low for the over-complicated and very invasive computer programs and they will make you suffer for your mistake.

For remote keyfobs, apart from using them near the vehicle and not all the way across a car park I always suggest alternating, in whatever way you want, the use of both fobs and key blades as this will give more even wear to fobs, batteries, key blades and key cylinders plus you always know where the "spare" key fob is and that it works.

When changing the battery on the remote fob you could also take the opportunity to clean it inside and out for better connections.

I think you'd be best to put up a separate thread about the DAB with more info about which 'radio' system you have and/or have a look at the operating instruction book.  I've seen her where others complain about the quality of the newer 'radios', the quality may have dropped for many reasons over the last couple of years at least.

Thanks for that as well. Good info. regarding the key fobs there.

As for the radio little information can be gleaned from the manual and even the 'online' information seems no good either. But yes, when I can get something about the particular radio present then I will try a post in the relevant section.

Thanks again.

@Harnser you might already know this, or you're 'radio' is different to the one in my wife's 2015 Fabia Mk3 but I had a play around and this is what I found.

On DAB radio screen touch/press the button for 'Setup', next screen check the box to get a tick against 'Radio text', then touch/press 'Advanced settings', next screen check the box to get a tick against 'Auto-save station logos', press return arrow, next screen press return arrow.

On Dab radio screen touch/press 'View' button, next screen then either select 'Station Info' for radio text and image, or select 'Radio text' for text only.

I hope that might help, yours might be different menus steps but basically you need to tell it to display what you want to see, once you have set it up.

Edited by nta16

@Harnser it's possible your 2017 Fabia has a "Swing" infotainment (6 buttons), rather than "Bolero" (8 buttons) as the earlier SE's have.

Having just had a play on my "Swing"🤪 (in my 2017 Rapid) and also the "Bolero" in our 2015 Fabia, the swing is a bit lacking:

The swing will show text on the FM service while the station logos are on the display, but not on DAB.

There is an icon on the bottom just right of centre on the DAB display which looks a bit like a radio - press that and you get a display with the text in it.

(see the incredibly dusty swing picture attached).

20220123_133923.jpg

Edited by johnh510
dust

For Swing  - in the main Radio menu, tap the function surface button (cogs, as in bottom right corner button in John's photo), next screen 'Station Logos'.

Whether that enables logos on DAB I don't know.

Edited by nta16

Well, had a quick look again today and firstly it has 6 buttons. My previous Fabia had 8. This Fabia is a 71 plate SE whereas the older one was a 67 plate SE.

The menus do not seem to match those given by nta16 either. Radio text is ticked but advanced settings and station logos asks for input from either SD or USB. The front centre of the radio has what looks like an opening for SD but is in fact merely a 'dummy'! No SD slot in the glove compartment either unlike my previous model.

An identical model vehicle currently on sale at the dealership supposedly has a Bolero. I guess I could ask the dealership but it's quite a faff.

I appreciate the replies and perhaps I could manage to post a photo or two in the infotainment section.

It's a 71 plate - you kept that quiet - by this time you no longer have a paper printed manual that doesn't need batteries or an internet connection and can be read in sunlight, the fabulous online, wot could possibly go wrong, gawd helps when the car's computers are full online! 🙄

I've seen this before, on here, you need a stick, I've got no idea where you get the logos perhaps you assign some of your own photos.

From the online Swing manual. -

Assign station logo from an external source

Applies to AM, FM and DAB frequency ranges.

Infotainment offers the option to assign logos from the pictures on an external source to the station buttons.

For station logos, images in jpg, png format with a maximum resolution of 400x240 pixels can be used.

In the menu Radio (symbol, symbol) Station logos .

Tap the desired preset button.

Select the external source with the logo.

Find the desired logo and confirm.

Best of luck.

Edited by nta16
useless hyperlink removed

I've just been out to the car  in the cold and dark! The SD slot does exist beyond the foam which I guess is there to prevent dust etc. I tried a card but on it were large file photos so no use really.

I'm not bothered about station logos really, I just would like to get the'currently playing' info that all DAB radios seem to show.

And nta16, I did state in my initial post that my previous Fabia was 67 plate but that this was a new vehicle. I should of course been more specific and must amend my profile as well.

Oh dear, I never had these problems with cassette players😀

Harnser, I see you have a 2021. 😁

I guess (no real idea) you download the logos from somewhere (Skoda? the universe?) this might be it but I don't know for sure. - ETA: no that wasn't it

There are other thread and posters that have put this stuff but I avoid these new  computer cars and will look for a pre-(year)2000 car for a next vehicle

From the online Swing manual. -

Turn on/off radio text reception

Applies to the FM and DAB frequency ranges.

When the function is switched on and station presets are displayed, detailed information about the broadcast content of the FM station being listened to, or the name of the station group for the DAB station, is displayed.

In the menu Radio  (cog symbol) > Radio text .

From the online Amundsen bit -

In the menu Radio  (cog symbol) > Radio text .

Edited by nta16
useless hyperlink removed

Right, this link worked for our (Bolero) radio - by putting the VIN in the box it gave me updates for our system which was, by coincidence only a downloadable file of radio station logos.

This link is as below, or in the OWNER´S MANUAL - Infotainment Amundsen - Radio - Settings - (bottom of Assign station logo from an external source).

http://go.skoda.eu/updateportal (ETA: once you've put your VIN in as it's a new car there could be loads of updates and you may need to scroll down the page for radio logos.)

Did that do it for you?

Edited by nta16

I'm sure this not an Amundsen as there is no Sat Nav. Inputting my VIN seems to confirm this!

Of the two links you kindly supplied earlier the first stated something along the lines of no configuration data available and the second link was entirely in German! My first (and only) language is English - well actually Broad Norfolk as born and bred!.

The VIN is also not accepted using the link in the drivers Handbook which is where one is directed for infotainment help.

It could be that I have to get the station logos by download somewhere and input them via SD card but I find it a rather strange requirement

Are you using an i-can't-Phone or other such smart-a*se portable device as I can't speak German only Nor'umpten (me duck), those links are in English for my PC with cordless keyboard (that can't spell) and mouse.

Try this -  https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-US/Updates/

Sorry, on further investigation the first link went somewhere strange but you could change the language to English - but don't bother with it.

You will have to go to the 'ŠKODA Owners' page, scroll down towards bottom of that page and click on link for 'Owners manuals' and make your own way (as partly detailed above).

On 20/01/2022 at 17:55, Harnser said:

Cost cutting as pointed out and despite the same SE designation this car has no 12V socket in the boot area and also seems to have a different radio which although DAB, does not receive any text on DAB despite enabling radio text in the settings!

Every DAB radio I've possessed seems to be able to get this so why not this one?

Let me try again.

The button to the right of the centre at the bottom of the display toggles the display from "station logos" to "text" on both the FM display and the DAB display.

Quite why I can see the text scrolling in the FM logo display but nothing in the DAB logo display is up for grabs. But that's how it is in my 2017 "Swing".

Also, regarding station logos, you can put in pretty much what you want, provided the file isn't too big.

I used 160 pixel wide by 120 pixel high .png to match the provided files. See the deliberately fuzzy, bleached out picture DAB1.

P.S. The SD card slot works on this Swing, and there is no card slot in the glove box (unlike our Fabia).

fm1-1.jpg

fm2.jpg

dab1.jpg

dab2.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Harnser said:

The front centre of the radio has what looks like an opening for SD but is in fact merely a 'dummy'!

@Harnser According to the 2021 Owner's manual the SD card slot should work - see screen grab.

swing 2021.png

• Like 1

Many thanks all. It is of course a Swing radio and, yes, as I did mention in an earlier post, the SD slot is protected with a foam insert and does accept a card.

Also I do now get the 'now playing' information following your advice johnh510 on the DAB stations.

Incidentally I seem to recall on FM there was/is a system of information display called RDS? This might be what you get on your display.

Anyway, that's cleared up my original question and I will have to live without the 12V connection in the boot and the keyed door barrel on the 'wrong' side😄

Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Fair enough.

Previously I was trying to give you direct hyperlinks to save you going through the pages but it didn't work but the ones below take you to the areas to work through a couple of clicks to what you might want or need.

Also I don't mean to insult you and bear in mind I cannot see your radio or the foam and I except that Skoda may have downgraded on the internals of the radio for various reasons, so hold on to your hat and reaction, as with the screen snip from the (annoying online) (6/21) Handbook it shows the use of the USB slot, any chance the foam is transit packaging?

manualupdate.jpg.7485953ca9607f74a7df5c4b1b6f9b79.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean about RDS display and you may already know this, if so apologises,  but another screen snip to be sure.

RDS.jpg.20ebb5c2a4bacf169a3a76cc285a415f.jpg

The links, again you might already have them but just in case and as with above they might be of use to other viewers to the thread.

Owners Manuals (scroll down the page) - https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/your-skoda

Update portal - https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

Cheers.

Edited by nta16

Thanks again. Those last two links you put up at the end of your post nta16 both work absolutely fine when entering my VIN. That was a first!

I have successfully downloaded all the logos to a USB and even managed to get them on the radio - my IT skills are improving in leaps and bounds😀.

The foam in the SD slot is, I sure, just a dust/debris exclusion feature by the way.

Both my previous Skodas, a Roomster then a Fabia estate, were bought as ex demo models so the radio set up was already OK. On this recent acquisition I had initially gone for another ex demo but was offered a new one for the same price! Presumably that boosts the dealership new vehicle sales!

All sorted now anyway.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Harnser said:

Both my previous Skodas, a Roomster then a Fabia estate, were bought as ex demo models so the radio set up was already OK.

skimped on the PDI on your new one.

Begs the question - what else did they not do?

2 hours ago, Harnser said:

I have successfully downloaded all the logos to a USB and even managed to get them on the radio - my IT skills are improving in leaps and bounds😀.

Great stuff.  It was probably my fault previously by trying to give you more direct links I made it harder, you can teach me IT now!

2 hours ago, Harnser said:

The foam in the SD slot is, I sure, just a dust/debris exclusion feature by the way.

Really, that seems odd to me.

I've no idea what you get with new cars and what should be done for the customer before handover as it's 15+ years since we had a new car, I'm not a fan of English car sales garage and Dealerships, they even let down the Japanese cars, Lexus when they first opened in England lead the way but they only had the flagship LS400, showed Jag and Merc Dealerships how it should be done though.  Daewoo when they first set up were entirely different, no sales people, 3 years warranty even Honda weren't, so I knew the other brands would get them, went into Vauxhall and GM done (in) for both.

Great that yo are sorted.