Iphone as a hotspot not connecting

Hi

Has anyone managed to set their phone as a hotspot and get the car to connect to it to use your phone data.

I cannot get it to connect as it just says connection failed, my daughters phone says the same when she tried.

I have a MIB3 columbus system.

I have turned off the esim and in the wifi settings, I can see my phone and after I enter the password it just says connection failed, tried changing the password but still no luck.

It will connect to my home wifi network without a problem when parked in the drive but not able to connect to a phone.

Any help would be greatfull.

Bill

1 hour ago, Billywizzo said:

I have turned off the esim

Out of curiosity, why...? Does the data run out at some point?

Anyway, to answer the question - have you tried enabling 'Personal Hotspot' > 'Maximise Compatibility'?

38 minutes ago, Yogi-Bear said:

Out of curiosity, why...? Does the data run out at some point?

Anyway, to answer the question - have you tried enabling 'Personal Hotspot' > 'Maximise Compatibility'?

I was trying to listen to something on internet radio and it will not work through the esim. 
It works when connected my home Wi-Fi, only good when outside the house, so thought I would try and get it working through my phone as a hotspot and you need to turn the esim off to turn on Wi-Fi. 

I have a month old L&K with an MIB3 unit. You are correct you will have to to disable the e-sim to set up a WiFi hotspot. Simple answer is yes I have linked my car to my home WiFi on the drive and both an IPhone and an IPad as a mobile hotspot. The only problem I had immediately after delivery was getting the data plan on the inbuilt e-sim but after a couple of calls to the provider all sorted.

on your Apple device, have you set up the hotspot as usb/cable only or to include WiFi/Bluetooth as well? If you don’t the hotspot won’t work unless you have a usb connection. However if you can see your iPhone listed in the car it looks like it’s not the issue.

16 hours ago, RGR_Dorset said:

I have a month old L&K with an MIB3 unit. You are correct you will have to to disable the e-sim to set up a WiFi hotspot. Simple answer is yes I have linked my car to my home WiFi on the drive and both an IPhone and an IPad as a mobile hotspot. The only problem I had immediately after delivery was getting the data plan on the inbuilt e-sim but after a couple of calls to the provider all sorted.

on your Apple device, have you set up the hotspot as usb/cable only or to include WiFi/Bluetooth as well? If you don’t the hotspot won’t work unless you have a usb connection. However if you can see your iPhone listed in the car it looks like it’s not the issue.

I have tried to connect my phone everyway I can, cable, bluetooth and wifi but still cannot get the car to use it as a hotspot.

Not sure what option you mean with usb/cable only or wifi/bluetooth, I have tried with every option I can find on and off but no luck./

Carplay works fine just not the phone as a hotspot.

Hi all I was suggesting concerned the hotspot settings on the IOS equipment.  When you go into the Personal Hotspot settings on your phone you of course have to select Allow others to join but below the wifi password you should see all the connection options such as wifi, bluetooth or usb cable.  They all work fine on my unit.  If you dont see these options it might suggest it is more an Apple issue rather than on the MIB3 unit.  That's all. The fact that you can connetc to your home wifi on the drive might support this view as well.

Forgeting the car, can your phone act as a wif hotspot for someone else's phone? If so, its a Skoda problem - good luck the dealers dont know much about the MIB3 units

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get my phone to connect, no idea how as all I did was try again and it connected.

I didn't change anything since I last tried so no idea what happened to allow it to connect but seems all good now.

1 hour ago, Billywizzo said:

Managed to get my phone to connect, no idea how as all I did was try again and it connected.

I didn't change anything since I last tried so no idea what happened to allow it to connect but seems all good now.

I don't know if this helps...

I use an iPhone's hotspot (and a cheap Smarty unlimited data SIM) in a 2021 Karoq with Amundsen MIB3 to stream Deezer HiFi and had a bit of trouble getting it to connect reliably.

The phone always shows in the relevant locations in the MIB settings - and would play downloaded tracks from its internal memory using both wired and wireless CarPlay - but it was occasionally greyed out and wouldn't always allow the car to connect to its hotspot.

The answer - for the time being at least - is to disable and then re-enable 'Allow Others to Join' in Settings>Personal Hotspot on the phone. The only limiting factor now is a poor signal from time to time when you're out in the sticks.

I just accept that this kind of stuff is flaky. It's a walk in the park compared to what a pain in the backside WiFi was two decades ago, mind you.

It drove me to distraction so many times back then I'd have cheerfully eaten my own arms.

Edited by Phutters
  • Like 1