Boot light goes out after after a short while.

oldstan

I've only had the car ten years, so I have the perfect excuse for not being familiar with it  😏

As per the title - it goes out after less than ten seconds. If I close the boot and re open it the same thing happens.

Perhaps it's always done it but I've not noticed.

Ta.

Edited by oldstan

UPDATE.

I Googled again but this time just put Skoda rather than Yeti and found theis .............

And indeed, when I started the car it stayed on (and was quite a bit brighter too) so it obviously thought the battery wasn't performing at full tilt.

I'll charge it.  I just looked and the battery (Varta Blue Dynamic D24) is three years and four months old. The warranty is 4 years. I'll take the car to my usual indie and get it tested. Varta say they'll replace it if it's shown to be defective.

Edited by oldstan

• oldstan changed the title to Boot light goes out after after a short while.

I believe my boot light contains rechargeable batteries  (it's removable for use as a torch).   If yours is similar,  it sounds to me as if the rechargeable batteries need replacing,  as they are not holding a charge.  This would explain why the light stays on when the engine is running,  and therefore a charging current is being applied,  but it goes off when the charging current ceases.

On the left.  I don't think I was aware there was one on the right, but I could be wrong.

I also wasn't aware of the possibility that the light might be romoveable and/or rechargeable ... but I'll have a look.

Ta.

There's only one boot light and it's on the laeft as you look in the boot and it's not removeable (without a screwdriver to lever it out).

The battery is on charge as we speak and when I open the boot the light stays on all the time the boot lid is up.

I'll still get the battery checked tomorrow. If it needs changing then now seems as good a time as any.  But three and a half years life for a car battery will be a record for me.

As Graham says, the 2011 cars wouldn't have had the removable torch (mine is a 2013 Elegance) and the boot light does stay on for a long time after the boot lid goes up - I've often thought it stays on far longer than necessary. (Having a light on both sides of the boot seems a sensible idea, whether one of them is removable or not. One of those simple ideas that should be standard).

• Like 1

Definitely no torch on mine, as predicted.  But I confess to having a little bit of a torch fetish and there's no shortage of portable light within the car. 

My most recent purchases are a Fenix LD30 (which is a proper little cracker) plus a couple of real cheapie Lithium Ion 18650 lights from Amazon. Really cheap but, considering the price remarkably well made and handsomely bright with strobe and SOS.  I keep the SOS lights handy in case I ever broke down in a vulnerable position and could use them to warn oncoming traffic (I'm thinking smart motorways where a breakdown in a live lane would be frightening and even if the light wasn't strictly legal I think I would take my day in court if nicked for it).

Just been and had the battery tested with a meter at the garage - all appears correct.

Thanks for responses.

• Like 1