Can you replace a vrs 245bhp 2.0lt tdi with a 2.0 tdi 190 bhp engine

Joe41

How much of it are you wanting to replace, they're both 4-cylinder 2.0 TDI diesel engines, but I imagine that's where the similarities will end?

The vRS 237bhp diesel is a twin turbo (bi-turbo) and so I'd imagine the vast majority of the engine ancillaries will be different i.e. turbo/s, injectors, cooling system (routing of the pipes, fan size), air conditioning, engine management systems and mounts, gearbox programming, SCR / DPF / exhaust system etc.

The battery is also in the boot on the vRS, presumably due to space constraints under the bonnet, no doubt that will introduce unexpected complications during a new engine graft.

I can't see it being a simple swap.

Edited by silver1011

3 hours ago, Joe41 said:

Hi, i was wondering is it possible to replace a vrs 245bhp 2.0lt tdi thats damaged with a 2.0 tdi 190 bhp engine are they the same engine?

This begs the question... why?

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who will come across this thread and want to know the backstory to your enquiry!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yogi-Bear said:

This begs the question... why?

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who will come across this thread and want to know the backstory to your enquiry!

I was wondering the same, if you are going to buy a new engine, why not buy the correct one.  

If proposed engine isn’t new, It doesn’t seem logical to source the vRS diesel then stick a secondhand engine from something less powerful in.

• 1 month later...
On 19/01/2022 at 03:19, Joe41 said:

Hi, i was wondering is it possible to replace a vrs 245bhp 2.0lt tdi thats damaged with a 2.0 tdi 190 bhp engine are they the same engine?

what went wrong ?