Less noisy cabin noise when clutch is pressed

Mavver

Hi I put a post on here yesterday about door gaps well now I’m looking out for things abnormal on my citigo. Anyway today I was in works car park about to go home and I noticed that when I push the clutch in the interior engine / cabin noise goes really quiet and when I release the clutch it has a sort of whirring noise on idle  now I’m not sure if it’s always had this since owning the car but I’ve only just noticed it today is this normal for citigos  I’ve only had the car 2 weeks            
                                    Cheers Pete                  

It could depend on how the car has been driven, if the majority of those miles were stop start or the clutch has been ridden instead of using the handbrake that could increase wear. Though that's a fairly low milage. Does it go quieter  depressing the clutch when moving or stationary? 

It could be potentially be an expensive repair as the gearbox will need to be removed.

When sat in car engine running it sounds pretty quiet anyway but when I press clutch in it goes even quieter  if the car was running idle and clutch was  pressed. Should it be same noise in cabin pressed or not pressed

So I take it if  I was to take it back to dealer with said issue they’d fob me of saying there’s nothing wrong  just a round figure how much would you reckon repair because I love the car 

14 minutes ago, Mavver said:

So I take it if  I was to take it back to dealer with said issue they’d fob me of saying there’s nothing wrong  just a round figure how much would you reckon repair because I love the car 

So you've not had it long? If you've still got warranty on the car it has to be worth going back to the dealer as eventually it's going to be a potentially expensive repair.

I’ve had the car 2 weeks it’s had full Skoda service  but I bought it from Arnold Clark  so  I doubt they’d agree that the clutch bearing has gone as the  car sounds ok clutch not slipping etc it’s a bit weird though how after 2 weeks of ownership this has started 

7 minutes ago, Mavver said:

I’ve had the car 2 weeks it’s had full Skoda service  but I bought it from Arnold Clark  so  I doubt they’d agree that the clutch bearing has gone as the  car sounds ok clutch not slipping etc it’s a bit weird though how after 2 weeks of ownership this has started 

In which case I'd definitely be taking it back! 

I’m wondering if it is normal citigo cabin sound and when I press clutch it’s engaging and goes quiet  I can’t see how a full history car with low mileage  could need a clutch bearing 

To test for 'neutral gear rollover', park on a hill and select neutral.

With the clutch engaged (pedal not depressed) and the engine running, allow the vehicle to roll downhill.

If the noise subsides at about 10-15 mph, you have 'rollover'.

This from Volkswagen:-

This is a documented issue acknowledged by VW and is the result of the car NOT having a dual Mass Flywheel, the device that has been causing some serious trouble on older cars. It is covered under the VW technical product information notice below that basically tells you there is nothing to worry about and nothing that can be done to stop it.

Rattling noise from engine bay at idle vehicles fitted with 02S 5 speed manual gearbox (UK TPI) Release date: 05-Dec-2012 Technical product information Transaction No.: 2032109/1

Customer statement / workshop findings

Rattling noise from the 
engine bay area with the engine running at idle.

Technical background

Neutral gear rollover noise describes the condition whereby a rattling noise from the constant mesh gearing in the transmission is heard while the engine idles with the clutch engaged (pedal released). 

It is caused by engine torsional vibration and is particularly prevalent on vehicles with a 
single mass flywheel and low idle speed requirements. The intensity of neutral gear rollover noise will increase with transmission temperature and / or an increase of torque loading, for example air conditioning or heated rear window activation. 

The rollover noise is inherent to 
transmission design and will disappear when a gear is selected and the vehicle is driven. The noise is not detrimental to the transmission or engine components and does not constitute a manufacturing defect. 

Production change

None.

Measure

When evaluating 
transmission complaints please draw on the statements above when assessing the complaint, remembering to account for engine refinement, gear selection “feel”, and clutch operation.

Warranty accounting instructions

Normal warranty guidelines apply.

Parts information

No parts information.

Customer information

Neutral gear rollover noise will not negatively affect the longevity or performance of the vehicle. It is concept related and does not constitute a manufacturing defect.

• Like 1

Having done a bit of research on the net I’m wondering if it is anything to do with the gearbox  seems a lot of people with same sound as mine have had gearbox issues 

Hi Mavver:-

Have you carried out the following diagnostic test, and if so, what were the results?

To test for 'neutral gear rollover', park on a hill and select neutral.

With the clutch engaged (pedal not depressed) and the engine running, allow the vehicle to roll downhill.

If the noise subsides at about 10-15 mph, you have 'rollover'.

10 minutes ago, Mavver said:

How do I put vid on here to show you all 

Take a short video on your phone can't be bigger than 10mb. Logon to Briskoda on your phone and reply to this thread and click on the "Add Files" box at the bottom left of the screen to upload the video.

I have found if I send photos or videos to my laptop they become too large to upload to the forum.

2 hours ago, Mavver said:

No I’ve not I don’t fancy rolling down a hill backwards at 15 mph there must be a simple answer surely if so many people have had this issue 

Roll forwards then, nobody said you had to roll the car backwards!

Or were you really talking about rolling yourself down the hill? In that case you will be OK unless you are overweight, the basic human body form (chest larger diameter than waist/hips has evolved to ensure that we can not roll down a hill if we trip but roll in an arc stopping in the recovery position with the head lowest.

Humpty Dumpty was an accident waiting to happen 🤣

• Haha 1

I did read your post and then I quoted you, are you saying that you did not write " I don’t fancy rolling down a hill backwards at 15 mph"