vRS 1.8T oil pump reliability?

phazed

I have been doing work on my car preparing it for the seasons track days when the oil pump crossed my mind.

Car has done about 75K, all in good order and running a healthy 244bhp and 310 ft ld of torque.

Obviously the car gets hammered on track but also has oil changes every 4 track days.

Question: Should I consider changing the pump or are these good for a lot of miles?

Just trying to keep on top of future proofing the car.......

There are a lot of threads on other forums about the pumps failing, if you google 1.8t oil pump failure you'll get plenty of information from Audi-sport and Ukmkivs.net.

I don't think they are common, but it isn't unheard of for them to fail.

The best thing to do is drop the sump and give it a good clean and replace the pick up pipe as they can block up.

I have a 1.8T Golf and the previous owner had used loads of silicone on the sump gasket, it started to clog the pick-up pipe, I also fitted sump baffles at the same time.

https://badger5.co.uk/engine-parts/oil-pump-pickup-pipe-06a

An OEM pump can be had for £80, genuine are £200+.

If you don't already have one, a oil pressure and temp gauge are a good investment to monitor everything.

The pumps themselves are generally fine, it's the pick up pipe that tends to get blocked and cause oil starvation. I tend to replace mine every couple of years as a matter of course as it's not difficult to do, sump off and then two bolts to undo. Sump goes back on with sealant rather than a gasket.

If you're doing a lot of track work, I'd recommend fitting a baffled sump to keep the oil where it can be sucked up effectively instead of physics pushing it all to one side of the sump on long sweeping corners.

I have a Forge one on mine, not overly cheap but a decent investment to save having more expensive issues

https://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/Baffled_Sump_for_Audi_VW_and_SEAT_18T_Transverse_Engines--product--1019.html

As others, you've more likely to get the strainer in the sump pickup blocked. Of course, if it goes, it could take out the oil pump, which then gets blamed.

So I'd suggest changing the strainer, and then regularly changing the oil and filter.

I have the CB Auto kit baffled sump fitted, also a new oil pickup.

I think I will do the next couple of TD's booked and renew the oil pump with n OEM unit.

I like to be ahead of the game if at all possible and not wait for things to fail.......

Out of interest, this is the baffle kit fitted in position. There are 4 trap doors and the design throws the oil down to the pickup.

IMG_0766.thumb.JPG.847a4f6eaab9f95c3b9518b34d416e17.JPG