Replacing the Skoda Amundsen in a Skoda Yeti (face-lift/PQ platform) with and XTRONS IQ90MTVL

GaffCelticViking

Hiya!

Documented the installation of the XTRONS IQ90MTVL In-Car Entertainment system as a replacement for my ailing Amundsen unit in the hopes that somone else finds it useful.

Please note that I'm not a mechanic, have never done anything like this before, and essentially haven't a clue what I'm doing, however, this was in the end possible to do with a high degree of success. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya!

Had a "rummage around" the Skoda Yeti boot panel to check which connector is used for my boot opener, as I've decided to purchase a new reversing camera that replaces the boot opener. I don't want to drill holes in my Yeti. It's the LS8012 connector for my face-lift Yeti. I think the pre-facelift Yeti has the other connector.

A right pain in the backside to remove. Unscrewed the rubber boot strap and pulled it out. To remove the boot panel, the clips attached to the body requires getting a long strong plastic "spatula-like" implement or two and with fingers forcibly pull it off as the clips are on tight. I've left the panel off until I get my new reversing camera as I don't fancy removing it again. I began at the bottom, closest to the boot lock, as I had the best access and not like some where the panel meets the window.

I'm buying this on Amazon UK (I have vouchers to use), Dynavsal 1280 x 780p night vision camera together with this in case I need it: 12 Volt Rectifier.

At the moment I think I'll pull the reversing camera cable through the bottom of the car, as opposed to via the roof. Mind you, I might change my mind as I'm doing it... 🙂

Sláinte!

Gaff

2022-02-17 12.17.41.jpg

2022-02-17 12.32.39.jpg

2022-02-17 12.32.43.jpg

2022-02-17 12.38.42.jpg

2022-02-17 12.38.45.jpg

2022-02-17 12.39.11.jpg

2022-02-17 12.39.15.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello Gaff

Wanted to thank you for the guide you put together... as an amateur - this sort of factual, clear and unbiased treatment is so useful when there is so little else to go on out there.

I am searching for a suitable replacement for an RNS 315 in a 2013 Seat Alhambra. I tried a couple of cheaper head units (a "standard" double din Atoto A6 PRO and a Joying px6 vw fit) but ended up returning due to either hassles with fit or being disatisfied with screens, performance and features not seemingly working (FM radio being a major one).

I have decided I likely need to spend a little more money on a VW fit - and am drawn to XTRONS IQ90MTVL as on paper it would seem to have good specifications. Few questions for you if you don't mind:

- Did you resolve the bluetooth connectivity and android auto problems? These are quite key for me I think

- Did you get FM reception without boosters, etc? - my research leads me to believe that the factory RNS units boost signals perhaps

- Do you think the cars GPS antena (Fakra connector) could be reused for the nav?

- Did you bother with a DAB+ dongle? The car has a DAB antenna, but I have mixed feelings about DAB given the reception is so generally poor in my area. I am left thinking i'd be more likely to use an app and my tethered phone connection

Cheers

Tom

• Like 1

On 28/04/2022 at 08:54, coxy1973 said:

Hello Gaff

Wanted to thank you for the guide you put together... as an amateur - this sort of factual, clear and unbiased treatment is so useful when there is so little else to go on out there.

I am searching for a suitable replacement for an RNS 315 in a 2013 Seat Alhambra. I tried a couple of cheaper head units (a "standard" double din Atoto A6 PRO and a Joying px6 vw fit) but ended up returning due to either hassles with fit or being disatisfied with screens, performance and features not seemingly working (FM radio being a major one).

I have decided I likely need to spend a little more money on a VW fit - and am drawn to XTRONS IQ90MTVL as on paper it would seem to have good specifications. Few questions for you if you don't mind:

- Did you resolve the bluetooth connectivity and android auto problems? These are quite key for me I think

- Did you get FM reception without boosters, etc? - my research leads me to believe that the factory RNS units boost signals perhaps

- Do you think the cars GPS antena (Fakra connector) could be reused for the nav?

- Did you bother with a DAB+ dongle? The car has a DAB antenna, but I have mixed feelings about DAB given the reception is so generally poor in my area. I am left thinking i'd be more likely to use an app and my tethered phone connection

Cheers

Tom

Hiya Tom,

Thanks for seeing the value of the guide.

- Bluetooth works for Android and Apple devices, though Android Auto only works consistently when connected (should work wirelessly). I need to contact Xtrons support about this.

- FM radio works well, and I don't use AM.

- Yes, I didn't know how to connect the existing GPS connector, it ends in a USB connector that I think connects to one of the USB connectors (USB female to male). I've heard other people successfully connect it this way. The accompanying GPS puck works well.

- Ireland stopped the DAB+ tests last Christmas so I've no way of testing it. One of these days when I'm abroad I'll give it a go. 🙂

Sláinte!

Gaff

Thanks for that info.

In the end I couldn't stomach spending so much on a car I might only keep a year or two, so I went for a second hand atoto a6 pro (VW fit) off eBay. I'll see if I can live with that.

I'm hoping I can get Android auto working on it via 'head unit reloaded' and therefore won't be too bothered by it being rather long in the tooth processor and ram wise. We shall see... I might yet be back to the xtrons.

Cheers

Tom

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Gaff
Thank you for that guide! I bought a MA90TVLS from XTRONS a little while back because my Amundsen 2's screen in my yeti has gradually stopped responding to touch and I don't fancy forking out £1000+ on the JVC that Skoda are offering. The connector from the head unit to the Quadlock is almost right, but not quite. Did you find the same thing? Is that why you had to use the ISOQMB connector? There seem to be a lot of these that are available and they all look slightly different to one another. Do you remember what you searched for to find yours? Or have a link to it?

Thanks!

Shooz

Connector marked.jpg

Quadlock marked.jpg

Hiya Shooz,

I bought the ISOMQB from here https://www.navi4all.com/en/ as my Yeti is the MQB platform (second generation). I suggest talking to Navi4All to make sure you get the right version for your car and ICE system.

Best of luck and Sláinte!

Gaff

Edited by GaffCelticViking

Thanks for the quick reply, Gaff!

I got hold of Navi4All. They were very understanding, but unfortunately they don't sell the ISOQMB cable on its own. I bought my unit from the XTRONS Amazon shop, so I guess they would be the next best people to ask. I just hope they don't point at the bit in bold in the user manual where they don't recommend installing the unit if I have not had the correct training 😬

*sigh* It really shouldn't be this hard...

Shooz

• Like 1