Insurer requests to see my v5, thoughts?

Martini06

As above, I've received en email from my insurance Company requesting to see my full v5 document. In addition, the email says that the policy may need amended, or cancelled if i don't provide pictures of the document. Which obviously means, it is likely to be amended, or cancelled altogether. Of course, either of the options incurs charges - a total waste of money in my opinion. 

Anyway I've figured that I put in wrong year when filling out the form to get the quote - I mistakenly put I bought the car in January 2020,instead of 2021 (who cares anyway? There's been too many 2020somethings already). As a matter of fact, car was bought in December 2020- so I actually owned it a month longer than the company think. 

I was thinking surely this must be the reason for them to request the v5 and politely implying that they'll cancel the policy? 

Now I don't fancy paying £75 just to amend some quote because of a few months. In fact, I have run a new quote for the car, where I filled in the correct year and month I bought the car. And guess what. The cheapest quote I received was from the same company, despite stating i owned the car for a shorter time that indicated when i purchased my current policy - but surely I'd be expected to pay more just to amend this one! Just goes to show you, the companies don't care, and paying lots of money for a policy is pointless, as you're likely to get the very same policy for less. 🤨

Anyway, thoughts on this? 

Do I contact them and see what happens?

Cancellation fee-£75.

If I cancel myself - 50. 

How do I get out of this?? Do I ignore their email-surely they could have phoned if it was that important. Not the first insurance company to send out threats in emails I've dealt with. 

The company in question is 1st central - hard to tell my experience with them as I've only been insured with them for 2 months. Anyone has experience with them? 

You have a very active imagination.

You can do nothing in which case you will create a self fullfilling prophecy.

You can comply and then you will know what if anything they may want to load the premium for but I really don't believe it will be for the date you purchased the vehicle.

You could E-mail them back and ask politely why they wish to see the V5, that has to be better then ignoring the request although that may make them as suspicious as you are of them.

I really can't see what you percieve that you need to "get out of".

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You have a very active imagination.

You can do nothing in which case you will create a self fullfilling prophecy.

You can comply and then you will know what if anything they may want to load the premium for but I really don't believe it will be for the date you purchased the vehicle.

I really can't see what you percieve that you need to "get out of".

Hahah, i agree, and thank you, that's a very nice way of a calling it. 😄

I do have severe anxiety when it comes to paying bills and charges that could have been avoided - I reckon it's my bad this time, hence the state of panic. 

I just see no other reason -no changes have taken place, it's just that one bit of data they got wrong and I'm worried how it might affect the premium 🤔

Edited by Martini06

I doubt that they could even know that you got the date wrong without already being in possession of the V5 document, if for whatever reason they did have that info they would simply say " our records indicate............"

The date you bought the vehicle should not affect the premium, if you had said it was a 2012 vehicle but that model was not produced until 2019 then maybe.

If you lived in my country you would be really paranoid, its not against the law to own but not insure (or use) a vehicle but all the insurers would have you believe it was, if you subscribed for insurance and said you bought the car on X date and tried to insure it on X + Y days or months they would refuse on the basis that it had not been continually insured, its their cartel way of protecting their money spinner of a restrictive practice.

• Groan 1

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I doubt that they could even know that you got the date wrong without already being in possession of the V5 document, if for whatever reason they did have that info they would simply say " our records indicate............"

The date you bought the vehicle should not affect the premium, if you had said it was a 2012 vehicle but that model was not produced until 2019 then maybe.

If you lived in my country you would be really paranoid, its not against the law to own but not insure (or use) a vehicle but all the insurers would have you believe it was, if you subscribed for insurance and said you bought the car on X date and tried to insure it on X + Y days or months they would refuse on the basis that it had not been continually insured, its their cartel way of protecting their money spinner of a restrictive practice.

Nice one 🥴 and I thought the UK was a nightmare for insurance - I'm originally from continental Europe. 

Well I bet the company's reply will be something like :we need this evidence to ensure you're fully protected at all times. Very enlightening.

My anxiety stems from bad experiences dealing with companies in the past - to the point that I'd rather switch than deal with anyone ever again. But I guess you're right, I'll contact them and ask nicely what's going on. 

11 hours ago, Martini06 said:

email from my insurance Company requesting to see my full v5 document.

Why!? The V5 proves nothing except the following:-

1. Date of first regimentation
  2. Colour
  3. Date of transfer to current keeper
  4. Date of last amendment by current keeper.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Why!? The V5 proves nothing except the following:-

1. Date of first regimentation
  2. Colour
  3. Date of transfer to current keeper
  4. Date of last amendment by current keeper.

My thoughts exactly 🤷🏻‍♀️ it really must be the month I bought the car that bothers them 

1 hour ago, roottoot said:

So they are checking.  No big deal.   

Then they might want to see your licence.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/498068-insurers-demand-license-image-for-all-named-drivers-what-is-this-new-bull

Oh I've seen that post.. As if I was going to drive a car without holding a valid licence.. 

Why does their message state they may need to amend the policy though?.

It kinda sounds like it is bound to be amended for some reason or another, or cancelled altogether 🤷🏻‍♀️

I really hate this part of owning a car. 

20 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@Martini06   Why are you not asking them?

Because I haven't had time yet - and also because the idea of talking to them gives me anxiety. Just wanted to find out what people think of this before I contact them

Edited by Martini06
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Martini06 said:

and also because the idea of talking to them gives me anxiety.

Sounds like by not talking to them you're getting even more anxious?

Bite the bullet and phone them with all your questions written down is my suggestion.

• Like 1

Simple answer. Don't do anything which will cause them to cancel the policy. Every time you take out insurance you get asked "Have you ever had any insurance policy cancelled or declined" and if the answer is "Yes" then you'll be in for a world of pain.

So, my advice, take a hit now and cancel the policy yourself, then take out a new policy making sure you put in the correct details.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2022 at 21:38, Rustynuts said:

Simple answer. Don't do anything which will cause them to cancel the policy. Every time you take out insurance you get asked "Have you ever had any insurance policy cancelled or declined" and if the answer is "Yes" then you'll be in for a world of pain.

So, my advice, take a hit now and cancel the policy yourself, then take out a new policy making sure you put in the correct details.

That's what I thought of doing..  Waiting to hear back from them. They say i cannot actually make any changes while they're reviewing the documents.. 

You think they're likely to moan about when I bought the car?? 

It's insane, they quoted me even less when I ran a quote with the correct date of purchase 

Edited by Martini06

On 07/02/2022 at 21:38, Rustynuts said:

Soo, you were obviously right🙄 they sent out an email that there's 60quid outstanding balance due (interesting as like I said I ran the same quote and made sure I put in the correct data and the quote I received from them was even lower!) it has happened indeed because I owned the car a year shorter than stated-wonder if the a... know it was actually purchased in December, not January, and the v5 ain't a proof of purchase! Smart way for them to make some. Extra money out of me i suppose - I've obviously cancelled but they still get to retain the bloody cancellation fee. Just goes to show you, I should have cancelled first thing and it wouldn't have cost me as much nerves 

On 07/02/2022 at 12:39, roottoot said:

Then they might want to see your licence.

Happened to me when I took out insurance with Marshmallow last December. Had to do an ID check where I uploaded a photo of my licence and a selfie. A right PITA, as it needed several photos to achieve one that matched my licence pic.