Wipers act strangely - won't turn off

SKODA OCTAVIA Combi (1U5) 1.9 TDI 4x4 2001 100Hk

Having replaced the Wiper Linkage Mechanism, the wipers started to act weird.

Whatever wiper handle position, it would not stop the wipers.

Either intermediate operation, fast or slow - though in new handle positions.

Within the forum, it seems to be a number of articles around the subject, but where do I start?

Relay 603 - replace/fix - it looks "ok"?

Wiper motor - the original; change?, connectors?, housing??

Handle - clean contacts, replace?

The videos seems to cover slightly different models and/or problems, so a cookbook-approach guiding me as the detective and as the car mechanic would be most welcome.

I have done a visual inspection, All the soldering visual on the print circuit looks blank and 

Having tested a new 602 relay, the problem persists.

I saw something about the handle, but it is not easy to understand why this should occur replacing the wiper link mechanism or du to the wiper motor being overloaded....?

okay, the fuse pulling was what cured mine as it was internal corrosion in the rear unit causing a short that made the front ones come on and stay on.

i didnt have time to write that out at the time last night.

if the relay is okay, then it may be just be years of gack built up in the steering stalk switch. get a can of contact cleaner and go to town on the stalk switches as a first easy try out. 

then if no joy open it up and look for damage. if all okay with the switch contacts then its a shorted out wire somewhere along the way

As the OP spoke about the linkage mechanism and wipers in the plural is it not the front screen wipers in question?

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

As the OP spoke about the linkage mechanism and wipers in the plural is it not the front screen wipers in question?

yes, but, my experience of my front wipers coming on one morning and not turning off was solved by pulling the fuse for the rear unit. a very strange electrical gremlin, but thats what happened. i pulled the front fuse to stop them as they were going to wreck themselves dragging on the glass otherwise. then when i put it back in , off they went again. i chanced pulling the rear one (i may have read someone here having the same issue already) and it stopped the constant front wiper movement but i could still use them normally. i left it like that for 2 yrs until i traded it in.

• Like 1

Having seen the YouTube video “Windshield Wiper Motor Wiring Tutorial”, it occurred to me, amateur, that there was some sort of relay mechanism within the Wiper Motor. My approach then was to disconnect the Wipers and adjusting my new wiper link mechanism "a millimetre" clockwise. Without wipers attached. I had regained my control over this rocket science invention. I could in fact turn it off. Mounting wipers, the success persisted. I were able to take a drive without being awaken by intermittent wipers crossing my view.

One last "problem" now is that both half- and full speed handle position gives wipers full speed.

If there is a short circuit I would blame numerus attempts assembling, relay switching and overheating due to rusted(?) link mechanism.

Thank you for thoughts and advice.

• 1 year later...