UK Public Charger Network & price increases as they are announced. Please post here as you become aware of any changes in the costs.

Ootohere

@lol-lolMy maths.  Real world,  April weather.

Petrol 1.2, 8 speed auto Corsa can do 50+ mpg as i drive it.

Today a litre of petrol is 142.7 pence, = £6.49 a gallon.

(My Suzuki can do 42 short trips & 48 mpg longer.)

Corsa Electric getting 3.5 miles per kWh as i do means 15 kWh takes me 52.5 miles.

Same driving speed and style but would need to be recharging in 140 miles or less.

£6.49 divided by 15 would be 43.2 pence a kWh to be the same cost.   

50 pence a kWh @ Public Chargers are as much as i want to pay.   

15 kWh x 80 pence is £12.00 to go just over 50 miles. 

Aberdeenshire Council @ 47 pence already is going to change my routes and where i charge

or if i go in an EV. 

Edited by toot

8 hours ago, toot said:

@lol-lolMy maths.  Real world,  April weather.

Petrol 1.2, 8 speed auto Corsa can do 50+ mpg as i drive it.

Today a litre of petrol is 142.7 pence, = £6.49 a gallon.

(My Suzuki can do 42 short trips & 48 mpg longer.)

Corsa Electric getting 3.5 miles per kWh as i do means 15 kWh takes me 52.5 miles.

Same driving speed and style but would need to be recharging in 140 miles or less.

£6.49 divided by 15 would be 43.2 pence a kWh to be the same cost.   

50 pence a kWh @ Public Chargers are as much as i want to pay.   

15 kWh x 80 pence is £12.00 to go just over 50 miles. 

Aberdeenshire Council @ 47 pence already is going to change my routes and where i charge

or if i go in an EV. 

Pricing of everything is so volatile at the moment it is so difficult to make any mathematical modelling of projected operating costs over months never mind about years.   ARAMCO, and the other OPEC plus members, has just decided to take a million barrels a day out of oil production which has seen oil jump by 10% to over $85 for Brent Crude, this jut after it announced its 2022 profit of $161B, the largest profit in history of any company I understand.  Some say that Saudis were miffed at losing their shirt in the Credit Suisse wipeout.  Saw petrol in LIverpool at £1.39 a litre a few days ago, still £1.45 in Worcester which seems to be always a bit more expensive due to no ASDA petrol station or other discounter.  Every commodity in the UK seems to be sky-rocketing in price.  I have my cheap Octopus GO price until mid September ie 7.5p per kWh which makes Zoe cheap to run and I have recently seen 5 kWh/m flash up whilst trundling around on local runs but sure that would drop to 4 on a run involving motorway or fast A roads. 

I think it is one of those scenarios where good to back several horses if one can, except diesel which on societal reasons I can no longer bring myself to do.  I like my Arkana very mild hybrid and I read stories of some Renault ETECH users getting well over 60 mpg for the quite big Arkana in ETECH form but the acceleration is a bit naff. I find it hard to beat my early MK4 Clio with its 90 hp and it doing mid sixties MPG, no tech other than a turbo, cheap motoring.  Think Road tax is £21 per year so 6p a day, not bad.   

Buyers are making their choices across Europe and the world, thinking of today and the months and years ahead and the direction is clear.  HIgh tech EVs though pricey do a job, can be super low taxed using salary sacrifice, Model Y for less than £500 a month, or cheap basic motoring as from Dacia.  I would like to see the Dacia Spring come to the UK soon.  Golf finally deposed, Tesla Model Y EV king by a mile, Dacia models scoring as the value proposition Skoda use to be.  Audi, BMW and Merc missing in action, Jaguar too.  Many of these brands need to evolve or they will die in months or a year or two.  

To use my little ZOe EV I do need access to chargers where I can charge at sub 40p a kWh though, even if it is the 22 kWh AC that only The Alliance cars seem to be able to use and are a decreasing percentage of the whole EV charging network though we might see more destination ie work chargers of this type.

https://www.best-selling-cars.com/europe/2023-february-europe-new-car-sales-and-market-analysis/#:~:text=In February 2023%2C new car,the top-selling model overall.&text=New passenger vehicle registrations in,month of double-digit growth.

The 25 best-selling car models in Europe in February 2023 according to JATO were:

Edited by lol-lol

Does that list combine different drivetrains? Pug 208 and 2008 have electric versions.

Keep in mind Model Y only had 1 shipment in Feb 2022 for UK, so percentage change is not a reliable figure. 

I think it's the VAT on top of flat charging tariff that is hampering the value aspect of public charging EV ownership. If you do anywhere near average miles and if post can come from home, it's worth switching to likes of Octopus Go at 12p/kWh, or Intelligent at 10p/kWh if have compatible hardware. 

• Like 1

Europe wide sales or first registrations are just that.   Who has cars built, who are selling them new to customers / fleets / utility companies and government agencies or to their own companies and then they are sold used.   Lots of simpler cars with less chips and built cheaply not in the EU or EU countries not using the Euro.     Cars bought with individuals own cash money, borrowed money is very different from leased cars and the manufacturers being the ones financing the lease company.   

PS quite a lot of Dacia Spring showing as sold in February.  Maybe all they can built are flying off the shelf.   Maybe the same with other of the BEV or PHEV if only being built in lower volumes.    The manufacturers need them first registered for their Fleet average emissions in the EU and then UK fleet averaged.  They do not want ones built and sitting unregistered.  

Screenshot 2023-04-04 10.12.54.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Great to see BEV almost double PHEV sales. 

Yesterday afternoon, when I got home, I managed to recharge 1-2% using completely free excess solar. But only 1.4 kWh went into the battery while 2.3 kWh is pulled by the charger. This is why car chargers require minimum charge rate is 5 Amps. Tesla web API can go down to 1 Amp, I was charging at ~3 Amps yesterday. Energy monitor says less than 0.1 kWh was consumed from grid and only 0.3 kWh "escaped" into the grid during that 3 hour period. 

Looking forward to V2H with Leaf. The purpose built Chademo inverter would consume far less and its resolution is 40w. On days like this, we can literally drive and live on sunshine for free. 

(yes, installation cost is considered, I've broken even about now after 8 years) 

Edited by wyx087
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Does that list combine different drivetrains? Pug 208 and 2008 have electric versions.

Keep in mind Model Y only had 1 shipment in Feb 2022 for UK, so percentage change is not a reliable figure. 

I think it's the VAT on top of flat charging tariff that is hampering the value aspect of public charging EV ownership. If you do anywhere near average miles and if post can come from home, it's worth switching to likes of Octopus Go at 12p/kWh, or Intelligent at 10p/kWh if have compatible hardware. 

I think the list above does combine drive trains but there are separate list for different power trains but the Model Y is king overall.

Germany is now producing 4,000 Model Ys a week now they have added the third shift and achieving full production efficiency with 24 hour operation, this will destroy many of the European HQ based manufacturer who do not compete on value, safety, range and network of course. 

Tesla, I have heard reported, have continued to add to their pick up at the port system, at Southampton and other European ports.  Certainly a way of getting the numbers up faster and cut out some dealer costs.  Good idea when one thinks of it.  Why stack a few cars on a lorry when they can be driven ?  I can think of the fun a games as I was customs officer for Portbury Docks Bristols that had tens of thousand of car in the customs WH and it was hard enough to keep tabs then without drib and drabs going out through the gates.  

Below a picture of the beautiful Horizon terminal in Southampton which is usually the starting point for my cruise ship voyages. Hope some time soon to be picking up a Tesla under a nice salary sacrifice scheme which saves a few hundred quid a month in payments.  

port-of-southampton-hosts-tesla-model-y-first-deliveries-event.jpeg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, toot said:

^^^ I had never heard of the Lynk & Co 01.   3rd place PHEV above.

I have now.

http://lynkco.com/en/car

Another Geely-Volvo brand like Polestar but hopefully a much cheaper, like a Skoda is to VAG.

Volvo are worried, according to the Electric Viking, that even the Swedish market is getting dominated by Tesla so they need a cheaper brand to complete without completely devaluing the Polestar and Volvo premium brands.

The Chinese invasion, not just of Chinese Teslas but numerous other Chinese Brands, complementing MG's pathfinder advanced in to the UK market, brushing aside the 10% customs duty like it was not there, the EU made cars with batteries get tariff suspension to match the UK LEAFs etc going to the EU.

EV new prices anticipated to fall another 10% despite the 10% inflation, and more, on many other things.  Lithium prices down by half, new battery tech starting to emerge and intense competition bringing prices down so that ICE cars look even worse value across the period of operation 3 or 4 years.   

• Like 1

The chart i put up shows when compared with the total chart that 1/4 of the Peugeot 208's sold / registered in February were electric. 

VW Group are using the partner companies (Including MG / SAIC) to have the Average Fleet emissions needed to save them being fined.

TESLA are very much part of the kidology helping their partners JLR.   

So much of sales / registrations are kidology for the EU & the UK. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Apparently Tesla are adding a forth shift at Berlin and are aiming to hit 10,000 cars a week, gearing for the model 2 and it's taller sister car.

Quite simply it appears Tesla intend to ramp up at such a rate which will decimate opposition unless the can move as quickly.

• Like 2

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/leasing-news/2023/04/04/stellantis-ambition-to-be-european-leasing-leader-with-leasys

Stellantis cars / vans / pick-ups.   So far pretty small battery EV's.

Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Citroen, Dodge, DS, Fiat, Fiat Professional, Jeep, Lancia, Masarati, Mopar, Opel, Peugeot, Ram, Vauxhall. 

As to EV only from a clean sheet near nothing, maybe more coming eventually than just 500 /Abarth.  Like the sporty / Super car ones.

Edited by toot

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...